CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A/C Leak

I've had a nagging refrigerant leak in my '97 Eldorado for some time now. I put juice in and juice leaks out. Clearly it's time I get off my azz

and fix the leak. Actually I'll probably go through the entire A/C system - 114,000 miles and 12 years. Has anyone had any experience with a

major/total overhaul of the A/C system in their mid to late '90s Cadillac? How much in terms of a ballpark cost am I looking at?

Depends on the source of the leak, of course, but ballpark pricing: reman compressor w/clutch=$240 new unit w/clutch=$340. Accumulator=$20. If a new condenser or evaporator is required: condenser=$135/evaporator=$100. These prices are just for those pieces. If you can't change the needed parts yourself, add labor costs and costs of gas/oil/other essentials.

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

Call this company and ask for Scott or Tony.

http://www.discountacparts.com/index.htm

I have bought compressors, dryers, evaporators, etc from them for my 98Vette, 04Vue and a friends 97 Dodge 2500 van and have been happy with every order. If they don't show the part on the website, they can most times get it at a great price. They also supply the PAG oil and O rings and will give you the specs needed to fill the system with oil and freon if you ask for them. Friendly and delivery is quick.

Just a note if the evaporator is leaking in the Eldo, it is a job getting it out and replacing it! The rest of the system is relatively simple but the compressor can be a knuckle buster. If you can, I'd fill the system and while it is running use a gas sniffer to find the leak. Good Luck.

Thanks for the pricing info. The compressor looks like a real b***h to change out. I will not be dropping the cradle again. This looks like a job I may

sub out to a shop simply because I won't drop the cradle. Too much work and I'm getting to old. I expect it will cost me $1500.00 plus.

Now the big question is do I spend $1500.00 on a twelve year old car with 114,000 miles and no value. To be sure it runs great, looks great and the interior is in fantastic shape but it's still a twelve year old Cadillac... :huh:

You need to determine the source of the leak - it may be the compressor but it could be many other things too. If it is the compressor, the cradle does not need to be lowered - the compressor is removed through the wheelwell once the front tire and access panel is removed.

As far as spending money on a 12 year old car - if the car is in great shape, I wouldn't be concerned about putting a few dollars into it to keep it in good shape but that is up to you. Once you stop keeping the car in good repair, it will quickly become a beater....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I thought it looked like a nasty job also but I changed out my compressor on a Friday night after work and it was pretty easy and straight forward. Only hard part was accessing the bolt on the back for the AC lines, get a thin head ratchet with a twist handle and it will make it much easier.

The car is nice and I certainly don't want to turn it into a beater.

If the A/C compressor is that easy to remove I just may do the job myself.

And you are right - first I have to find out where it's leaking and that is going to have to wait for a few weeks.

Rent an A/C leak sniffer (freon detector) from an auto parts store or equipment rental agent. I did a quick web search and saw lots for sale but didn't turn up a rental link quickly.

One thing that may be an issue is that in the US and most other countries you need a license to buy Freon, and the law says that you can't just leak down your system, you must use a Freon recovery system to pump it down. In the old days I used a freon detector that was a modified propane torch like the ones plumbers use for soldering copper pipe, I leaked down the system to replace parts, and an old washing machine motor turning an unused A/C compressor would pump down the system for refilling in about 45 minutes. Not now.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

"If the A/C compressor is that easy to remove I just may do the job myself"

Yeah well, easy? Not easy, but doable. It is accessible from underneath. Some attachment bolts and the hose manifold. I replaced the unit on my DeVille, not a bunch of fun but......

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

My experience in knuckle-buster jobs is that they go faster if you remove everything that obstructs your work. When I was very young, I added an A/C to a car that had none from a collection of parts of a dealer-installed unit from a junkyard and fleshed out to a full set from the dealer. I started out by removing the grille of my 1959 Chevrolet, evoking laughter from the mechanics at the garage that let me have some space out back on a Saturday. I started at 9:00 AM, by 10:30 AM I was putting the new damper wheel on while sitting on a lawn chair in front of the car, with a ratchet and four feet of extensions, with the radiator laying beside the car. By 1:00 AM I was topping off the Freon and all the mechanics were ticked off because none of them could install an air conditioner in half a day and have clean hands and be whistling cheerfully when they were done.

For undercar work, pick a clean spot to work, be sure and get the car high enough so that your elbows aren't cramped while you are trying to use your tools and use jack stands that are safe and rated for the height and load, get plenty of light on the subject, and use a good creeper that makes it easy to move around under the car -- and to get out from under the car to access tools and parts as needed.

That's not in any of the manuals. You are also looking at things in your hand that might benefit from the inspection, like the serpentine idler wheel.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived