CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cleaning Windshield

The windshield on my 99 Eldo seems to have some type of film or treatment on the outside. I have new wiper blades but they seem to stick and skip unless the rain is very heavy. The water will bead up on the glass. Back when I worked at the Cad. dealer we used a cleaner that GM made for cleaning the outside of windshields when they have this problem. It was made by Bonami (sp). I cant find this cleaner any more. Any suggestions on how to clean the outside of the windshield.

A quick side note. I installed three chamber flowmaster mufflers and it sounds great! And not to loud.

Bon ami is a great cleanser and is a recommended cleaner, as it will not scratch glass. You should be able to find it, or other "Bar Top" cleaners, at the grocery store.

Once a year I will CAREFULLY and thoroughly scrape my windshield with a single edge razor, to remove hard and embedded deposits. This will help keep your wiper blades from being damaged (cut). Always keep the razor at a low angle, never allow it to get on edge and scratch the window.

With someone squirting water on the clean windshield, turn on the wipers and observe their motion. The blades need to flip, when changing direction; like pulling a squeegee. If the blade is trying to "push" the water, the blade will hop when there is only light water on the windshield. If the blade does not flip, the wiper arm will need to be carefully bent until it is at the proper angle. Bend carefully with a medium crescent wrench fitted on the flat portion of the wiper arm, and in small amounts.

During the rainy season, I will use Bon ami as often as needed, to keep the windshield clean and smooth. Do not forget to wipe the blades themselves, to remove oily deposits and hard deposits. Remember that your window can be quickly contaminated again, as so many cars leak fluids that are thrown back in the draft, and onto your windshield. Best solution is to wash frequently, and Bon ami whenever you think necessary.

Your windshield is clean, when water sheet off, and does not form beads.

Another thing to keep in mind, most car wash liquids have some type of wax in them, and will start the windows to bead again, this is normally not a problem. It is the oily stuff thrown onto your windshield by other vehicles that is the problem.

Bon ami

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I've had the same issue with my Eldorado, and I too will agree with the bon-ami. Also make sure you carefully clean the rubber portion of the wiper blade with a mild solvent such as wiper fluid or alcohol, as to remove any waxes or contamination that has worked into the wiper itself.

I found by carefully lubricating the wiper arms (where they pivot) significantly reduced the chattering. I assume by lubricating it, the tension on the windshield was more uniform, and fixed some of my chattering issues. I carefully applied heavy-duty silicone, and "worked" the wiper arm until the movement was smooth.

It's a VERY frustrating problem, but it can be fixed!

Wow!!!!! Thanks for all the info. I remember the Bon ami came in a package with a GM part number, but it was discontinued. I will also check the wiper arms for alignment.

Thanks again.

Wow!!!!! Thanks for all the info. I remember the Bon ami came in a package with a GM part number, but it was discontinued. I will also check the wiper arms for alignment.

Thanks again.

Yesterday I cleaned my widshield with Bon Ami. Works great.

A fresh coat of Rain-X will start to roll off the windshield at 30 MPH. The more it is worn off by time or wiper use, the higher the speed required to start it rolling. If it takes 50 MPH it is time for a reapplication.

Bon Ami makes two kinds of product - a cleanser which WILL scratch glass and the "Cleaning Powder" that is in the red and yellow can with a chicken. The cleaning powder will not scratch glass. You want the cleaning powder - it can be hard to find.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived