CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rough Idle

tomcad95

My 95 Caddy Deville has a rough Idle and it dosn't seem to have the pep it used to have, the Service Engine Light is also on. Does anyone know how to activate the on-board diagnostics, and where can I get information to decipher the return code. Thanks

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel. The codes will be displayed on the information center.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

ok, thanks, I got the codes to display. I got three history codes and one current code. I guess I should be concerned with the current code? Is there somewhere I can find out what these codes represent.

Post them here, we will interpret them.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

This is what I got:

P091 - History

P013 - History

P044 - History

P053 - History

P085 - Current

NO IPC

NO ACP

NO SIR

NO TCS

PCM?

Thanks for the help...

ok, thanks, I got the codes to display. I got three history codes and one current code. I guess I should be concerned with the current code? Is there somewhere I can find out what these codes represent.

Post them here, we will interpret them.

Ranger posted a link above where you can get the meaning of your codes

P091 (E091) .................. PRNDL Switch Problem (transaxle range switch problem)

P013 (E013) .......................................... Right Oxygen Sensor Not Ready

P044 (E044) ........................................ Right Oxygen Sensor Signal Lean

P053 - HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 1 Sensor 1 (PCM)

P085 (E085) ........................................... Idle Throttle Angle Too High

Check the connections on your O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1 sensor if they are ok replace it, that would cause your sluggish performance

Bank 1 Sensor 1 - right bank (rear) manifold

Bank 1 Sensor 2 - pre-cat

Bank 1 Sensor 3 - aft-cat

Bank 2 Sensor 1 - left bank (front) manifold

Clean your throttle body of all deposits and check that the cable is not binding, and it rests on the stop when the throttle is closed

I am not familiar with the P091

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

P091 (E091) .................. PRNDL Switch Problem (transaxle range switch problem)

If you say, coast down a hill with your gear selector in neutral that code will be set.

Thanks for the info, I was under the impression my car only had one oxygen sensor which I replaced (front manifold). Whats involved in cleaning the throttle body of deposits, besides pouring a can of cleaner in the gas tank?

P013 (E013) .......................................... Right Oxygen Sensor Not Ready

P044 (E044) ........................................ Right Oxygen Sensor Signal Lean

P085 (E085) ........................................... Idle Throttle Angle Too High

Check the connections on your O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1 sensor if they are ok replace it, that would cause your sluggish performance

Clean your throttle body of all deposits and check that the cable is not binding, and it rests on the stop when the throttle is closed

Thanks for the info, I was under the impression my car only had one oxygen sensor which I replaced (front manifold). Whats involved in cleaning the throttle body of deposits, besides pouring a can of cleaner in the gas tank?

Clean the bores of throttle body and BACK sides of the throttle blades with oxygen sensor safe carb cleaner. While there, clean up two EGR tubes under the blades with a piece of coat hanger. Do not worry about the chunks of carbon falling down.

Yes I have a 4.9. What's involved in getting in the throttle body to do a cleaning.

This is a 4.9? I think the EGR tubes down in the TB are more important than the TB itself. TB on the Northstar is far more important to clean.

Remove the intake air duct, block the throttle plate open and go to work. Look down into the TB and the two EGR tubes will be looking back at you.

Archived