CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

leaking fuel line

ampiifire

for a 96 eldorado. other than that.. well.. the title and description says most of it. it's not spraying out.. but after a minute or two of running, the fuel will ooze out and fill the negative space in the quick disconnect line. any time there is fuel with the potential of dropping on a hot manifold i feel it necessary to fix.. so dealing with it in its current state isn't really an option because my money says it gets worse over time. but seeing as it is a very slow leak.. maybe there is a way to seal it? like an o ring of types that wouldn't deteriorate in the gasoline? i cant find the rail to filter line anywhere... is there a way to splice a new quick disconnect fitting on the existing line or should i bite the bullet and buy a full line from a GM dealer? i'd really rather not replace the whole thing if it can be safely avoided.. it is bracketed in in like 3-4 places, winds in and around everything in tight quarters, doesn't bend well, and generally seems like kind of a pain in the *smurf* job for such a tiny little leak :\

the link below is to a pic of it.. granted, it's not a great picture, but you can sorta see how the liquid pools in the top (right in the picture) quick disconnect.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/amp...re/IMG00057.jpg

yes - the previous owner did have the fuel rail swapped under the recall (or i would assume, at least. this was an auction bought car and came with all the perks such as a leaking head gasket and crank seal as well as various electrical problems)

a rubber o ring wouldn't deteriorate over time being exposed to high pressure gas? is there a special type for fuel or will my o ring assortment from harbor freight have one that will suffice?

yes - the previous owner did have the fuel rail swapped under the recall (or i would assume, at least. this was an auction bought car and came with all the perks such as a leaking head gasket and crank seal as well as various electrical problems)

a rubber o ring wouldn't deteriorate over time being exposed to high pressure gas? is there a special type for fuel or will my o ring assortment from harbor freight have one that will suffice?

I think any rubber o-ring will work.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Not all o-rings are equal. Please do yourself a huge favor and go to the dealer and buy a new o-ring. The dealer o-ring IS the proper material that won't deteriorate in the presence of gasoling. Clean any corrosion from the line and lube the new o-ring with clean engine oil.

Unless you know what compound the o-rings are made from in your kit, I would not take the chance.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If you want to fix it without replacing the line, it may be possible to use a product called "QuikSteel" (Manufactured by Blue Magic, Inc.) which you can purchase at Wal-Mart. Various excellent products are manufactured by Blue Magic, Inc., including Steel Reinforced Epoxy Paste, which, like the QuikSteel putty, it's also unaffected by gas and other solvents.

As far as using an o-ring, I had a fuel rail problem in my previous silver Eldorado where the o-ring deteriorated and caused the rail to leak heavily. So I went to Home Depot and bought a rubber grommet like this one (scroll down a bit to the "Isolation Mounts"), which has a slit going around it. I then bought an o-ring at Home Depot to put into that slit and used it for the fuel rail. It worked fine and to this day there is no problem. The reason why I used a grommet is because the odd o-ring size and thickness used for the rail, so I had to MacGyver a substitute.

Archived