CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Battery

tonyny

Ok guys new problem. Car won't start (2001 STS) Got a boost from the neighbor and went to Autozone which is nearby and they tested it for free and say my battery is dead. I guessing it could be the original battery since I never replaced it. Autozone has Optima batteries and Durolast. Are these any good? They want $170 for the Optima, which the guys claims is better than the Durolast.

Any info appreciated.

Tony

PS Does the caddy NOT give you any warnings that the battery is dying? When I look at the charging display it shows 14.4 volts!

"Capital punishment means never having to say, "You again"?

Optima's are really nice batteries, lots of car audio enthusiasts use them for running subwoofers. I put a new battery in mine and I just used a regular battery, it was around maybe 40 bucks.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Batteries done give any warnings like they did years ago. They seem to drop dead like a sudden and massive heart attack. Not sure about Optima's, but if you go with a conventional battery you must get a 78 series battery with special vents that will fit the vent system because the battery is under the seat. These batteries are not cheap. Just replaced one on my daughters car for $140.

Optima's are really nice batteries, lots of car audio enthusiasts use them for running subwoofers. I put a new battery in mine and I just used a regular battery, it was around maybe 40 bucks.

Wow 40 bucks. AZ wants $170!

Optimas are about $170 I have my first optima in mine now. I understand they handle deep cycles better than conventional batteries. so far it has worked out well. one thing to keep in mind. they require a 10 amp battery charger. I only have a 5 amp. when I charge a dead optima on a 5 amp charger, it overheats, and trips the charges thermal fuse.

Wow 40 bucks. AZ wants $170!

But I didn't put an optima in. I grabbed a regular one off the shelf from Walmart.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

Optimas are about $170 I have my first optima in mine now. I understand they handle deep cycles better than conventional batteries. so far it has worked out well. one thing to keep in mind. they require a 10 amp battery charger. I only have a 5 amp. when I charge a dead optima on a 5 amp charger, it overheats, and trips the charges thermal fuse.

My buddy fried a red top optima with a battery charger. The place he buys them from took it back and gave him a new one, I could hardly believe it.

Cheers!

Ok thanks to all for the info. Does the battery have to be vented? The one at Autozone isn't. Also whats the difference between the red and blue top Optimas?

I'm pretty sure you want a red top Optima (if you decide to go that way)

Optimas were very popular in the C5 corvette world, because they won't leak. The battery in a C5 is situated right over the top of the entire wiring harness, so any leakage can result in a serious loss of money from your wallet....

I had one, it was nice...

There's a store in my area called Farm & Fleet... they sell them for more like $130-140 ish... depending on the size.

Yes, a red top is recommended for autos. I purchased the more expensive yellow top because my car sometimes sits for months/weeks without starting. I killed many lead acid batteries. the yellow top can sit for weeks, and still have a charge to start the car. Frequent deep cycles on the yellow top does not damage the battery like it would others.

Optima is currently offering a $20 rebate on batteries now - if that's any incentive.

You can get away with that because your battery is still under the hood. If it is under the rear sea you MUST have the vent system.

I'm pretty sure you want a red top Optima (if you decide to go that way)

Optimas were very popular in the C5 corvette world, because they won't leak. The battery in a C5 is situated right over the top of the entire wiring harness, so any leakage can result in a serious loss of money from your wallet....

I had one, it was nice...

There's a store in my area called Farm & Fleet... they sell them for more like $130-140 ish... depending on the size.

That's where I got my daughters. $140 out the door.

Thanks to all. Got the red top one from Autozone. 3 yr free replacement and 7 yr warranty. One more question...

When I called road service for this car (wife's 2001 STS) they sent a local tow truck who gave me a jump but did not have spare batteries. When I called a few yrs back for the '03 DTS road service sent a GM/Cadillac van who REPLACED the battery with a new Delco. Anyone know why the difference in service?

You can get away with that because your battery is still under the hood. If it is under the rear sea you MUST have the vent system.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers!

Optima has a vented battery that can be used in our cars. Optima batteries have always been my #1 choice when it comes to automotive batteries. They offer deep cycle technology and seem to be bulletproof. If you google optima batteries you can go to their website and read on the patented technology and the difference between the red, yellow, and blue top batteries. I think the blue tops are for marine use, while the red and yellow tops are for auto use. I always had yellow tops because they handle heavy electrical demands and I always had car stereo equipment in my rides. But rest assured, when you buy a Optima battery your not just getting a same ol same ol type battery.

3100406887_808dbe1b91_m.jpg3100408453_191809e0a7_m.jpg

Optima has a vented battery that can be used in our cars. Optima batteries have always been my #1 choice when it comes to automotive batteries. They offer deep cycle technology and seem to be bulletproof. If you google optima batteries you can go to their website and read on the patented technology and the difference between the red, yellow, and blue top batteries. I think the blue tops are for marine use, while the red and yellow tops are for auto use. I always had yellow tops because they handle heavy electrical demands and I always had car stereo equipment in my rides. But rest assured, when you buy a Optima battery your not just getting a same ol same ol type battery.

They don't have a vented model for an '01 STS as I spoke to them direct. But they claim I won't have a vent problem as their battery won't vent UNLESS from a "radical" voltage change. Well since I had a dead battery and not many options to wander around I had Autozone install it and so far so good. Also it comes with a 36 month no quibble exchange so I'm happy.

Are there any aftermarket batteries that are a direct replacement (same size, CCA, vents, etc.) for the '98-'04 Seville and 2000+ Deville?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yes, I bought one at Farm & Fleet. Don't think you have them in Michigan. I also called an interstate dealer and he said that they had them, but where a little more expensive than Fleet. I think Sears might even have them, but not sure.

Yes, I bought one at Farm & Fleet. Don't think you have them in Michigan. I also called an interstate dealer and he said that they had them, but where a little more expensive than Fleet. I think Sears might even have them, but not sure.

That's good to know - None of my cars have the battery under the back seat yet. I'd like to find a good deal on a black/black '05 Deville....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I also bought the correct battery at Farm and Fleet. It's an excellent battery made by Johnson Controls. 84 month Platinum. 3yr free jumps. with vents to mount under seat. Installed it myself. I believe I paid under $70 with trade.

I did the same as Mike33 the last time I needed a battery... Just bought the Farm & Fleet house brand, which is Johnson Controls....

I think it was like $60-some bucks, 72 month warranty....

Been fine so far....

hAHA! Seriously, that is the price with trade. They are regularly on sale. Farm&Fleet is the place to go for auto parts and accesories. I remember getting Mobil Drive Clean there for .99/qt. That's not as common now days, but it still can happen about once a year.

Under $70? Did you use a gun or did they have a 1/2 price sale?

Just a side note about Farm & Fleet. In the metro area here it's called Fleet Farm, but if you go across to Wisconsin they call it Farm & Fleet. Anyone else noticed that?

Cheers!

Archived