CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk close motor froze

paddy

Move to Florida! lol

The one on my 90Seville sometimes does that. I just open the trunk with my key and then shut it, over and over and after a few times it works. It rarely quits working........just does it sometimes when it's real cold outside.

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

The auto trunk close motor on my '95 Concourse decided to quit playing in the sub zero weather. Is there a manual

override or is my best solution a move to Florida?

It could be the upper latch switch going bad - it's an easy check with an ohm-meter. If it turns out to be the switch, they're about $14 at the dealer and very easy to install.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

When the one on my previous car ('92 Deville) quit, I just removed it and fixed it. It was quite easy to disassemble. Can't remember if it was a switch or brushes. :huh:

when I had my 87 deville, mine quit working right. was able to take it out and tear it apart. turns out one of the gears was worn down. just sanded one plastic part down, so that the gears would seat closer together.....kept working fine until I sold it a year later. Probably still works.... B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Move to Florida! lol

The one on my 90Seville sometimes does that. I just open the trunk with my key and then shut it, over and over and after a few times it works. It rarely quits working........just does it sometimes when it's real cold outside.

Now you tell me, I replaced mine my the 91! I even took the motor apart, it would go up but not down, It was not very expensive to buy if I recall. Mike

Mine stopped pulling down,...removed the microswitch latch sensing switch, sprayed it with electrical contact cleaner whilst activating it a couple dozen times, replaced it, and the motor kicked in. Its been working for 2 1/2 years now,...may not be the motor-driven actuator...

post-3-1075529646.jpg

The auto trunk close motor on my '95 Concourse decided to quit playing in the sub zero weather. Is there a manual override or is my best solution a move to Florida?

Just to let you know... They break down here in Florida too.... Oh wait sub zero temps... what's that like? (just kidding... no really... stop yelling!) MD

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Just to let you know... They break down here in Florida too.... Oh wait sub zero temps... what's that like? (just kidding... no really... stop yelling!) MD

They'll get us back. In about six months from now, they'll be asking, "humidity, heat index, bugs; what are all those things?"

:lol:

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Just to let you know... They break down here in Florida too....  Oh wait sub zero temps...  what's that like? (just kidding... no really... stop yelling!) MD

They'll get us back. In about six months from now, they'll be asking, "humidity, heat index, bugs; what are all those things?"

:lol:

REALLY! Oh you forgot, those DAILY thunderstorms! Oh it only rains for 30 minutes I'm told! Just enough to make it uncomforable and to PUFF out your hair! Up her I have normal hair, down there I have an AFRO! The last time I was there I was in Marco Island, and we were rushing off the beach to get out of the DAILY 3 PM thunderstorm and the people behind us were struck be lightning! During the entire week I had never seen so much lightning the marriott I was in was struck multiple times!

I wonder how well the electronics hold up in the Caddy with a direct lightning hit? LoL... But my trunk works....On the Enterprise we use multi-phasic shielding lightning bounces off! LOL... Mike

REALLY! Oh you forgot, those DAILY thunderstorms!

That's true, down at the beach it rains everyday. Even on the coast of North Carolina, there's always a "chance of rain". Come inland about 100 miles where we are, in the thick of a pine forest, and it's very nice. The golf is good too. Pinehurst is just around the corner!

REALLY!  Oh you forgot, those DAILY thunderstorms!

That's true, down at the beach it rains everyday. Even on the coast of North Carolina, there's always a "chance of rain". Come inland about 100 miles where we are, in the thick of a pine forest, and it's very nice. The golf is good too. Pinehurst is just around the corner!

That's a beautiful car you have!! That is what I am hoping to buy soon! Mike

My Dad has a 94 Seville SLS. When his ppull down quit working he changed it out for a non pull down latch. still electric release.

post-3-1075567789.jpg

That's a beautiful car you have!! That is what I am hoping to buy soon! Mike

Thank you! Shale Metallic is my favorite paint color. It's pretty similar to the "Pewter Metallic" found on the later model GM trucks and SUVs, but I think it's a Cadillac-only color. I never heard of it before I got our '97, but I really turned on to it! It looks almost "gold" in some lights, but looks very "silver" in others. I don't think it's supposed to be one of those color-changing paints, but it sure turns out that way. :)

Your original post says the auto-close quit in sub-zero weather. I don't know if it's the same as what mine did recently or not. Mine would not close. A small plastic switch in the center of the trunk lid was the problem. It had become frosted and was stuck so it would not trigger the pulldown motor. A few minutes of careful "soft" heat from a bathroom hairdryer on that area of the lid (with the trunk open) solved the problem and it has not re-occurred.

• 4 weeks later...

mine stopped working in the miiddle of the road and in the middle of the winter. so, i took it out, manually brought the latch down, put it back and disconnected.

at least i know it will not let me down again. some features on our cars are really "too much" and actually stupid. motorized trunk is among them. just my point of view...

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

KHE...what exactly do you check with the ohm meter?

Unplug the switch and connect the ohm meter leads to the switch terminals. There should be continuity at one of the switch positions and open at the other.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived