CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

crankshaft sensor 02 DTS

95SevilleSLS

My sister's 02 DTS just got the dreaded crankshaft sensor (PO385) I believe it was. I remember it was sensor "B." Is that the lower one? How difficult is it to replace them? What is involved in doing such a thing? Would anyone be able to give me the step by step on how to do it? My sister is a little short of money and I thought I'd do it for her.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

We had some member here dispute me and say that you could change the crank sensors without removing the oil filter adapter. He ended up ripping the wires off the crank sensors, BECAUSE THERE WAS NO ROOM....to navigate...

As ranger said, removing the adapter gives you a clear view to work.. Its a good idea. Keep the wires marked for upper and lower so that you dont mix them up.. The crank sensors are to the right of the adapter and toward the upper engine. Not a bad job, just tight quarters, thats all..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If I was replacing the crankshaft position sensor I would replace both of them while I was in there. The replacement sensors should include a new O ring (one for each sensor). The sensor O ring part # is 10472920 just in case.

To provide some elbow room to access the crankshaft position sensors, removing the oil filter adapter is all it takes. I recommend using (two) new O rings when installing the oil filter adapter. The oil filter adapter O ring part # is 3543719.

Use 1/4" drive tools and a 10MM socket is all you need.

BTDT.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

On my 2001. I was able to change both crank sensors without touching the oil filter adapter at all.

If I was replacing the crankshaft position sensor I would replace both of them while I was in there. The replacement sensors should include a new O ring (one for each sensor). The sensor O ring part # is 10472920 just in case.

To provide some elbow room to access the crankshaft position sensors, removing the oil filter adapter is all it takes. I recommend using (two) new O rings when installing the oil filter adapter. The oil filter adapter O ring part # is 3543719.

Use 1/4" drive tools and a 10MM socket is all you need.

BTDT.

YES you MUST replace BOTH sensors... for two reasons

1) They will both fail and

2) the "B" sensor circuit error code means NOTHING. The computer uses the second sensor to test the first... problem is that if one sensor is failing intermittently (like these do) the compute has no clue which is bad.

If you only replace one you have a 50/50 chance of doing the other one in 3 weeks... Do them both.

On a Seville you must remove the oil adapter, on a Deville there is a little more room and you can get the sensors out with the wire attached, that will give you a better angle at the connector...

The hardest part of this project are the connectors... you will need small screwdrivers and little picks to get them apart.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived