CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 deville steering wheel lights

TROYBLISS

Alot of the lamps in the IPC are really LED. The steering wheel controls use a traditional very small light bulb.

If your handy, and can find some bulbs, you can solder them in.

I attached a picture.

post-2-1229754952_thumb.jpg

Alot of the lamps in the IPC are really LED. The steering wheel controls use a traditional very small light bulb.

If your handy, and can find some bulbs, you can solder them in.

I attached a picture.

Does anyone know what the industry part no./type of bulb they use? ie 1157, 394, etc? I have a bulb burned out in my STS that shines on the master power window switches and I have been searching all over for the bulb. It is 4mm in diameter and 10mm in length and is 14V. It's mounted on a plastic base that is rotated 90 degrees to install it. The same bulb is used to back light the buttons for the fuel door, trunk, etc. that are above the radio.

I looked at the Radio Shack bulbs but they were only 12V and they were smaller than the OEM (so the green bulb lens wouldn't fit over it). I found some bulbs at a Honda dealer - they looked the same but were too bright.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin:

I would not be concerned about using a lamp labeled 12V in place of a lamp labeled 14V or vice versa.

My thought on the 14V vs. 12V would be the 12V bulb would burn out faster since the alternator voltage is 14v but my main concern was the Radio Shack bulb was smaller than the OEM and the green bulb "condom" (lens) wouldn't stay in place.

All of the parts stores I checked looked at me like I was from another planet and the GM parts counter wants to sell the entire assembly...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

....All of the parts stores I checked looked at me like I was from another planet and the GM parts counter wants to sell the entire assembly...

I have that tee shirt.

It's getting harder and harder to locate a source of individual components for folks who are inclined to do repairs at the component level or folks who like to build and experiment (hobbyists). If I was still in the Dallas area, there are at least two retail places that "might" have a direct replacement incandescant lamp.

One source that will require a lot of digging is Mouser Electronics (mouser.com) but I'll guarantee you can find your bulb in their catalog. And you will want to put a micrometer on your existing bulb to help identify the correct replacement.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Radio Shack sells 2 packs of "Micro Lamps" for about $2.00 (part # 272-1092, 12V/60mA) and many (if not all) switches/controls can be disassembled and you can just solder in new bulbs rather that replace the entire unit.

I just did the steering wheel controls about a year ago and they are "as good as new" and it was a lot cheaper to just replace the bulbs. I should note that the Radio Shack bulbs are just slightly brighter than the stock bulbs."

Radio Shack sells 2 packs of "Micro Lamps" for about $2.00 (part # 272-1092, 12V/60mA) and many (if not all) switches/controls can be disassembled and you can just solder in new bulbs rather that replace the entire unit.

I just did the steering wheel controls about a year ago and they are "as good as new" and it was a lot cheaper to just replace the bulbs. I should note that the Radio Shack bulbs are just slightly brighter than the stock bulbs."

I got some 12v/35ma bulbs from RS that I plan to use to replace my wheel lights. People on the other forum found these to be closer to the correct brightness. I think the part number may be the same.

Jonah

Archived