CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

airbags deployed

Astrak

So my airbags deployed on my 98 SLS, I really have no idea why. I went over a dip fairly quick....well not really a dip it was manhole that didn't have the ground compacted around it enough so the pavement sunk below the grade of the manhole rim. Not an uncommon problem around here in Lincoln NE, anyway's I hit that and my airbags deployed, cracking my windshield ruining my dash and so on. I am just wondering how much it would be to replace the damage or is it just worth selling the car? There is no body damage and everything works on the car, I just don't have the money to fix it right now. I posted it on craigslist for 4000.00 since it has a new N* and new transmission.

Thank goodness you were not hurt. Sorry to hear this happened.

I would call my insurance and chat with them about it first.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Classic. The engine cradle snagged the manhole cover. That's enough for the air bags to deploy.

GM vehicles look for a rapid change in acceleration for deployment.

The windshield is used as a passenger side air bag directional tool, so you always lose that.

I would contact the city attorney about your damages. Mostly likely the repairs will excede the value of the car.

That being said, there is also crash data stored in the SDM. So if the city has warning signs up for '20 mph', and the module shows 40 mph. You may be out of luck.

I just got my 2006 Chevy van back from the body shop.

Almost $5,000 bucks damage to the front end.

Airbags DID NOT DEPLOY.

I thought they probably should have, but the body shop manager told me that if the impact didn't actually hit the sensor in the middle of the front grill, it wouldn't deploy.

The accident was my fault.

I wasn't paying attention and a lady in a Chevy pickup suddenly stopped in front of me.

I hit her at about 25 or 30 mph.

I swerved at the last second and my right front hit her left rear.

Posted Image

I just got my 2006 Chevy van back from the body shop.

Almost $5,000 bucks damage to the front end.

Airbags DID NOT DEPLOY.

I thought they probably should have, but the body shop manager told me that if the impact didn't actually hit the sensor in the middle of the front grill, it wouldn't deploy.

The accident was my fault.

I wasn't paying attention and a lady in a Chevy pickup suddenly stopped in front of me.

I hit her at about 25 or 30 mph.

I swerved at the last second and my right front hit her left rear.

Do modern, multi stage airbags still have a minimum vehicle speed for them to go off?

I seem to remember cars from the 90s only deploying the airbags if the vehicle was going over 45 mph, but it would seem to make more sense to look at the impulse rate of acceleration/deceleration instead, which would still deploy the bags if you were hit while sitting still.

When I totalled my dads first STS a few years ago, the kid who turned in front of me ended up hitting a lady sitting at the red light in a VW. Her bags went off even though she was sitting still.

JW

Jonah

Basically, there are 2 types of air bag systems. Mechanical and electronic deployment detection. Older GM systems would be considered mechanical detection. Most mid 1990 and newer GM vehicles would be considered electronic detection.

Mechanical deployment detection: "A frontal crash of sufficient force up to 30 degrees off the centerline of the vehicle will deploy the air bags. "

Electronic deployment detection: "A sufficient change in acceleration on the vehicle X axis will deploy the air bags."

The air bags are NOT pillows

An airbag deployment is a very rapid, forceful event. Airbags must deploy at very high speeds so they are nearly fully inflated before the occupant begins to move forward and contact the vehicle's interior.

An airbag is NOT a pillow or cushion. Due to the force with which a deploying airbag inflates, close or direct contact with the airbag while it is deploying can cause serious or fatal injuries. For safety, always seat your children only in the rear seat.

When the front air bags WILL deploy

Front airbags are designed to deploy in moderate to severe frontal collisions. The airbag deployment speed is chosen to reduce the risk of injury in a crash. Even at low speeds, crash forces can cause disabling and painful injuries, which the airbag and seat belt can prevent.

When the front air bags will NOT deploy

Front airbags are NOT intended to deploy in side-impact, rear-impact or rollover crashes. In addition, airbags will not deploy in frontal crashes below the deployment threshold speed. Seat belts are the primary means of protection to the occupants in these crashes.

Seat belts must always be worn to provide maximum protection in ALL types of crashes.

You can see more at http://www.airbagcrash.com

Current GM products use a accelerometer internal to the SDM for deployment. Some vehicles also use a supplemental forward crash sensor. You need about a 15 mph change in acceleration in 40 ms for deployment. That's a pretty good smack. Most accident events are over after 100 ms.

GM trucks seem harder to get the airbags to deploy. GM larger vehicles (trucks) typically 'win' any accident event, so alot times the air bags are not even needed.

Archived