CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Can you help me? Did i forget somthing!??!?!

CaddyDRVER

Car is a 93 Cadillac STS Northstar V8.

I had a cracked waterpump cover.(old one was plastic) I got the aluminum one plus the gasket for it. Also got a new thermostat W/the pre intalled seal on it. to put in it....And thats ALL that i got.. I installed it all, put new coolant in went threw the prosses and put the cap back on..No leaks YET. Went for a drive. Got on it alittle..Got to 5xxx RPM about 3 or 4 times after i had been driving for alittle bit. Got home and turn off the car and there is coolant around in the bay. I notice its leaking pretty good from between where the water outlet and the pump cover meet together. (where the thermostat is basically...Im sure you get what i mean) And its only leaking on the bottom side.

After alittle leaking the leak slows to a stop.

Did i forget somthing in my parts list? Is there a gasket that i NEED? And forgot? Or do i need to go check my bolts? And tighten them? If i need somthing. I sure hope i can find out what it is before the day is over.

If you need more info or anything to help find what i forgot or whats wrong. Ill be happy to tell you.

Thanks

Im not familiar with that year car, but could the old seal have been stuck to the block when you installed the new housing/seal? Did you clean the sealing surface?

Ive had this get me with oil filters before.

Jonah

Im not familiar with that year car, but could the old seal have been stuck to the block when you installed the new housing/seal? Did you clean the sealing surface?

Its not leaking from where the pump cover meets the pump body.

It leaking from where the water outlet meets the new pump cover. Where the thermostat is sandwiched in....

But anyway, Yea i cleaned all surfaces. Everything is perfect...Except for the leak between the new cover and the water outlet. And the leak isnt ''leaking'' From around the whole thing. Just from the bottom. Maybe i didnt tighten somthing good enough. I dont know...Havent checked yet. Wanted to see if i forgot somthing or did somthing wrong first.

Its not leaking from where the pump cover meets the pump body.

It leaking from where the water outlet meets the new pump cover. Where the thermostat is sandwiched in....

But anyway, Yea i cleaned all surfaces. Everything is perfect...Except for the leak between the new cover and the water outlet. And the leak isnt ''leaking'' From around the whole thing. Just from the bottom. Maybe i didnt tighten somthing good enough. I dont know...Havent checked yet. Wanted to see if i forgot somthing or did somthing wrong first.

LOL I feel like an idiot...Found it. Sorry for the useless thread. It was the hos clamp for the water outlet. It was not tightened and it was leaking....

Thanks for the help man!

Hehe. Don't feel too bad. We all have a punch or two in our dumbshit card. Glad it was an easy fix.

By the way. :welcomesmiley:

Ditto, a couple of years ago, I flushed my tranny through the cooler lines, and when I was done, filled the tranny up, and drove the car out of the garage and forgot to reconnect the cooler line, result, tranny fluid EVERYWHERE.... If we didn't make mistakes, there would be no erasers on pencils

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

About a half a year ago I replaced the upper radiator hose on my 95 STS. I used a generic brand from the parts store, and it either wasn't built correctly or I installed it wrong, because it was rubbing on the water pump belt under hard acceleration. I ordered a new ACDelco hose from RockAuto (cheaper than the generic even with shipping!) and put it on.

Started driving on the freeway to a friends house and got a low coolant message. Got off the freeway and pulled into a gas station and smoke was coming out of the hood. I hadn't clamped the upper hose on tight enough and it came off. Good thing for the camel mode :lol: I had my 104 piece Craftsman set in the trunk, and a gallon of coolant. Put that coolant in and walked across the street to the only gas station open in the area and paid ten bucks a gallon for coolant. The parts store had it on sale for 5 bucks a gallon, but it was a national holiday :rolleyes:

In my defense I haven't been working on cars for too long, and I learned the lesson to double check your work, but I definitely got a punch in my dumbshit card that day :lol:

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Archived