CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

system reset ?

Mark3601

Can anyone tell me how I can reset my system so that it will foget the shift ponts, What I mean is that I know the car learns how you drive and then remembers it to have the best shift point for the way u drive. Before gas went up I had fun driving my 05 DTS but now I have calm down to try and get the milage out of the tank, My MPG has been around 16 to 18 city/hwy combined ave speed about 29 mph as told by dic this seems low to me and I wounder if its because the car learned my fun way to drive it.

Can I just disconnect the batt to reset the system and If so how long do I need to leave it this way before connecting it again.

Thanks

Mark

My intuition is that you simply need to drive economically and your Cadillac will adapt as needed to your driving style. I do not believe that the adapts are dramatic or materially change shift points. Shift quality would be more likely to be effected by an adapt.

But especially if you consider that now you perhaps intend to accelerate at torque peak, to save gas, and not to redline, the shift points will be different anyway.

I believe that you are on the right track if you want to reset the computer, you can by disconnecting the battery for a minute or so.

Then you would need to drive for a 100-200 miles before systems would be 'steady state' again and you could begin to measure mpg vs previous.

I recommend that you focus on avoiding trips when not needed, driving economically when in the Cadillac, and enjoying your Cadillac (I do these in a different order).

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Yours may be different... '05 vs '06, and this may not work on yours, but on my '06...

to get it to relearn...

I had to disconnect BOTH cables and touch them together to drain the capacitors, before it would do a relearn.

I had tried disconnecting ONE cable, several different times, for various time periods, with no success.

DO NOT allow then to TOUCH each other if EITHER ONE is still connected to the battery.

There will be several things you will then need to reset... like the express up and down of the front windows... etc ..etc.

Posted Image

I have no advice on how you should drive your car, but if you disconnect the power to the computer systems, there might be a down-side. Disconnecting power results in wiping out the RAM of the system RAM is the 'family history' of the computer and is used to tweak the default program (ROM) to get the engine/systems to perform at its' best ability. The ROM program is factory-set when all the vehicles systems were brand-new out of the box....it will always revert to the default (library) ROM program. RAM will rebuild, but the vehicle systems might not act right for sometime. Things have changed since '05 and sensors/systems aren't pristine now.....I'd just leave it be and let the system do its job.

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

I have no advice on how you should drive your car, but if you disconnect the power to the computer systems, there might be a down-side. Disconnecting power results in wiping out the RAM of the system RAM is the 'family history' of the computer and is used to tweak the default program (ROM) to get the engine/systems to perform at its' best ability. The ROM program is factory-set when all the vehicles systems were brand-new out of the box....it will always revert to the default (library) ROM program. RAM will rebuild, but the vehicle systems might not act right for sometime. Things have changed since '05 and sensors/systems aren't pristine now.....I'd just leave it be and let the system do its job.

Dave can you explain what you mean by this?, "Things have changed since '05 and sensors/systems aren't pristine now.....".

He is attempting to change the transmission shift adapts.

Personally I don't think his mileage is bad considering the average miles per hour. If I were he, I would just reset the DIC parameters for miles, avg speed, mpg, etc and see how it performs then.

I understand what he is trying to do, he is thinking that the transmission has learned an aggressive shift pattern and he wants to reset that to an economy pattern. I don't think its a pattern change however, I think, and I may be wrong, that the shift adapts changes/increases the line pressure, to made the shifts more precise. The manual does not recommend disconnecting the battery to clear codes, but I have never heard of anyone doing damage by doing so. Jim's experience above is a testiment to that

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks for the reply's guys the MPH was way off in my 1 st post though when I check it this morning when I pulled into the drive way my mph ave was 19, and the mpg ave was 17.9 and this was with approx 120 miles on trip A.

As for resetting the mph,mpg, ave speed and gal used I do this every time I fill my tank so this had just been done about 4 day's ago and my driving has only been city driving back and forth to work and home and what ever erruns that needed to be done. This is why I was thinking that I needed to try to make it learn my driving again from when I purchased it 2 yrs ago when I frist got her she was really getting good milage for a big 8 around 21 to 22 and on hwy alone she would get 25 to 27 really not bad for this type of car at all I'd say that was really great for a car this size.

But then the performance bug bite me and the dam car is so much fun to drive that I just could not resist then the gas issue really hit home so to speak and I bought my wife an 05 acura TL and she has the performance 6 cyl in it and its at 28 city/hwy and thats what got me thinking the caddy had learn some bad habits from me and I wanted to try to correct that. And before anyone says it I know its a 6 vs 8 and I will not get that type of reading from it but if I was able to get it back to the 20/21 area again i would be smiling.

I have been try to get it to come back up now for the past mounth but no luck thats why the question on resetting it to make it learn again. Note when I say past month that is total of 4 weeks as some of you might remember that in Sept of this year all my rims and tires were stolen and she was left sitting on her hubs well 9 grand later and approx 2 weeks ago I just got her back from the shop.

Thanks

Mark

Dave can you explain what you mean by this?, "Things have changed since '05 and sensors/systems aren't pristine now.....".

It means exactly that.....everything is 3 yrs old and not brand-new, what else could it possibly mean??

Who said anything about "doing damage" to anything?? You are reading things that aren't there........

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

It means exactly that.....everything is 3 yrs old and not brand-new, what else could it possibly mean??

Who said anything about "doing damage" to anything?? You are reading things that aren't there........

Listen DAVE, I asked for an explanation here. WE all get questioned for clarification here all the time even me when something is not clear or confusing.

I read something in to this here DAVE?, WRONG DAVE. NO, you didnt say anything about DOING DAMAGE DAVE, You IMPLIED it by saying 1) there might be a down-side and 2) '05 and sensors/systems aren't pristine. Oh OF COURSE that does not mean that you could do damage, IT'S CLEAR AS DAY ISN'T IT DAVE? It was the implication of your words that needed clarification.

My car is 12 years old so the SENSORS are CERTAINLY NOT PRISTINE and I disconnect the battery all the time Dave. An 05 is a spring chicken and there is no problem with disconnecting the battery. The guru who was a Northstar Powertrain engineer told us to disconnect the battery ALL THE TIME. The AGE has NOTHING to do with it.

Nastiness/or an attitude is not necessary Dave, PLEASE understand that if you make a statement, and clarification is needed you will be questioned for clarification. I am questioned all the time about my statements, if I am not clear or if I make a wrong or controversial statement.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks for the reply's guys the MPH was way off in my 1 st post though when I check it this morning when I pulled into the drive way my mph ave was 19, and the mpg ave was 17.9 and this was with approx 120 miles on trip A.

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

I think almost 18 MPG at only a 19mph average is pretty darn good.

For your average speed to be that low, there HAS to be a lot of stop and go and stoping at lights and things like that.

Remember that when you are stopped at a light idling... you are getting ZERO mpg and your average mpg is dropping like a rock. :D

If my average speed was 19 ... and my average mpg was 18, I think I would be pretty satisfied.

Posted Image

Thanks Jim I guess that I just got spoiled by what it was getting when I 1st got the car, it could be worse right like what my denali xl was getting and what I got reid of to get my caddy,

One other ? I noticed that when I post on the bottom of my name on the left of the screen it has dots that say warned and no one elese has that what that about it says 0% so i guess i am ok

Mark

Thanks Jim I guess that I just got spoiled by what it was getting when I 1st got the car, it could be worse right like what my denali xl was getting and what I got reid of to get my caddy,

One other ? I noticed that when I post on the bottom of my name on the left of the screen it has dots that say warned and no one elese has that what that about it says 0% so i guess i am ok

Mark

You can only see your warning, everybody has one. It is used to warn members of inappropriate behavior, so yes, you are OK.. As I noted in my first post, I believe your MPG is good. It is really tied to how you drive and the type of driving you do (highway/local).

Archived