CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Gasket material

Dave in Texas

In another post " Use a new gasket, it will cost an unbelievable $6" was written....the cost of an EGR valve gasket. 40yrs ago when I worked on cars all the time, we mostly made our own gaskets, so I'm wondering if folks still do today? I've been working on my old 4.1L in recent times and one of those little jobs had to do with replacing the oil-filter adapter gaskets. To get that adapter off, in order to remove the oil-tube, the lower radiator thermostat housing had to come off. Couldn't find a gasket at any of the parts houses, so I called the 'dealer'. The needed gasket between the intake/housing is about 4"x3" with 3-holes for the bolts, made of a thick paper product. The 'dealer' wanted NINE DOLLARS for this gasket!! $9.00?! I bought some gasket material at a local store, made what I needed and can make more gaskets from that $1.50 worth of sheet gasket material. I suppose there are a lot of parts that are just RTV'd on these days.....but the old-time ways still work.

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

I can't count the number of times I have made my own gaskets.

Cut a piece of the material just a little bit bigger than what you need. Use a SMALL ballpeen hammer.... gently tap the gasket material all over the part. Turn it over and there is a perfect outline of your needed gasket.

Trim it with scissors and cut out the holes for the bolts with an xacto knife ... and now you have a new gasket. :D

Posted Image

My Dad used to make his own gaskets, that skill for him was left over from working on B17's, I admired his ingenuity, you think the same way.

The problem with the EGR gasket is that it has metal inside of what appears to be a heat resistance sandwich you will need the same material to start with.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The EGR gasket is a graphite/metal composite gasket. Gently tap the EGR valve sode to side once the bolts are removed and it should break loose. Usually, the gasket sticks to the engine side. If it doesn't tear, it can be reused.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Jim has the procedure! Cutting exhaust-gasket material is a little more difficult, but where there is a will, there is a way! Spending the $6 is much faster/easier though....

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

Archived