CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Other topic

runar

Hi Guys

Long time no see. Hope that some of you can help me. A friend of mine with a 2001 Taurus , told me he is losing cooling fluid.(Antifreeze). I checked it out and could not see any leak. However, the AC lines were all sweating and dropping water. The AC were off, so we turned the AC on. I could here the clutch go on and off. I could not hear a drop in the RPM, when he turned it on. Is it possible, that the compressor could be stuck in the on position? I know, I worked on an 87 Taurus years ago, and in order to replace the heater core, the AC had to be evacuated, because the two systems are somehow connected to each other.

Regards

Runar

If you see/hear the clutch engage/disengage, the compressor will run/not run. It can not operate without the clutch being engaged. You can disconnect the electrical at the low-pressure switch or at the clutch to test.

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

Look at the face of the compressor clutch - if it is spinning with the A/C off, then the clutch is stuck in.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Most likely he was using the DEFROST or DEFOG position on the Control panel. This is normal operation, since a cool surface is needed to condense the moisture out of the air in order to dry the windshield.

This has absolutely no bearing on the loss of coolant, and I would continue to look for a leak. How's the water pump shaft seal?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Most likely he was using the DEFROST or DEFOG position on the Control panel. This is normal operation, since a cool surface is needed to condense the moisture out of the air in order to dry the windshield.

This has absolutely no bearing on the loss of coolant, and I would continue to look for a leak. How's the water pump shaft seal?

Hi

Thanks to everybody who replied. Yes Johnny, I think you are right. I never thought of that. I will let him know.I looked around the shaft seal, but no leaks. I think I know what happened. An old lady had the car, she died, her son got it. He sold it to my friend.I think the antifreeze was never changed. His girlfriend are using it, and I think she just run out of cooling fluid. I filled it up, and told them to call me later. She showed me a spot on the windshield, she said it was antifreeze. I do not know how it got there. I will let you know when I find out if the problem is solved or not.

Runar

Glad to be of help. This one might be due for a good coolant change anyway!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

The Taurus uses the same type of radiator that the Cadillacs use.

They have PLASTIC side tanks that will seep coolant under pressure.

I had a 1993 that I had to replace the radiator on in 1999 at about 150,000.

I bought a new one in 2002 that I recently sold to my neighbor.

It is ok...SO FAR. It has a hair over 100,000 on it.

Check the side tanks for TINY leaks.

Posted Image

Archived