CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New guy

kcd1184

I've had four caddys but this 94 Eldo is my first Northstar. Any general pointers , suggestions, or (gasp) warnings for starting out with my beauty ?

I've got to go get it and drive back a 1000 miles.

I've had four caddys but this 94 Eldo is my first Northstar. Any general pointers , suggestions, or (gasp) warnings for starting out with my beauty ?

I've got to go get it and drive back a 1000 miles.

If the previous owner has no records, do all the basic maintenance right up front, before you drive any long distances.

Change the oil, air filter etc.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Basically, what Marika said, but also add to your list, "change coolant". It's an aluminum engine and needs to have the coolant changed every 2 years or 24,000 miles. This isn't abnormal really -- most vehicles require this maintenance, but few actually get it. You don't have to do this before you bring it back home, but I'd certainly do that the first month you have it. When you change the coolant, be sure to add the GM cooling system supplement. It was installed at the factory, and is required with cooling system maintenance. You can get it at your GM dealer for cheap.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I'll be on a time table, flying down and driving back. If it doesn't have fresh oil, I'll stop and do that, but computer availability and lack of time nix the code search till I get back.

Change the oil, air filter etc.

Add to that service cooling system (drain, flush, and refill). It's very important to do this every 30,000 miles to prevent internal engine corrosion.

Keep an eye on the engine oil. Northstars tend to use oil. I keep two quarts in the spare tire compartment, just in case. If you run low, the driver information center will tell you to check it so it's no big deal, just something to be aware of.

As with any used car, be prepared to work through some unexpected problems that the previous owner just put up with until he sold the car. This board can be a great help with this. It can help you diagnose problems, get them fixed, find reasonably priced parts, understand your Cadillac's unique systems, and keep it looking great.

I strongly recommend buying a set of factory service manuals. This is a two volume set totaling over 4" in thickness. They cover diagnosis and repair of every part of your car from major mechanical overhauls to removing minor trim pieces. They are full of illustrations and they are fascinating to just browse through. They can be found on Ebay or internet automotive book sellers for between $50 and $85 for the set and if they don't save you at least that much is repair costs, I'll eat my hat!

A well sorted out 94 Eldo is pleasure to own and drive.

Enjoy!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

When adding the coolant supplement, be sure to add it to the lower radiator hose.

BTW, the Bar's Leaks "Golden Seal" in the tube is the same stuff as the GM pellets.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If this is your first Northstar you will probably find that it "uses" more oil than what you are used to. I was quite disappointed til I found this site. One thing I learned was NEVER keep it topped off to the full mark. That seems to put the 1st 1/2 quart right through the PCV. I never put more than 7 quarts in at an oil change and don't add til it's off the dipstick or when the "check oil level" comes on. Also liberal applications of WOT seem to help reduce oil consumption. Read the links below. They should explain a lot of things before the questions even come up. There is much much more in the archives. They are by Bill Bbobynski. He is an engineer with GM and was involved in developing the Northstar.

http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchi...d=caddymb-11920

http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchi...d=caddymb-11511

http://caddysearch.netgetgoing.com/mbarchi...id=caddymb-9491

I'll be on a time table, flying down and driving back. If it doesn't have fresh oil, I'll stop and do that, but computer availability and lack of time nix the code search till I get back.

You mention computer availability.... One of the most impressive things on the Cadillac is the on-board diagnositics, you can access it by pressing the OFF and HIGH FAN buttons at the same time, and the codes will be displayed. A computer 'dump' of codes takes about 5 minutes maximum and that includes running it over as it goes to fast for you to write the info down! Mike

One of the most impressive things on the Cadillac is the on-board diagnositics, you can access it by pressing the OFF and HIGH FAN buttons at the same time, and the codes will be displayed.

Actually, that's the "OFF" and the "WARMER" (red) buttons. Hold them both down for several seconds and the system will go into diagnostic mode.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Hey fellows, tought i would give a report of my trip to fl. to pick up the 99 deville,from the add on e-bay i posted,i assumed all was well,and car could be driven back if i wanted to.wrong,the lady dealer forgot to tell me or mention any thing about coolant leak.we ask her about it,oh there is no problem,she said.good thing i took my trailer.put it in shop today,hope just water pump.i even ask about driving back,still did not mention leak.kcd1184 just be prepard for anything.the truth is just not in some people. thanks 36master :(

Archived