CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How do you Caddyinfo?

Larry's computer update lately got me to thinking.

I have a desktop for editing/searching, but when Dell had them on sale I picked up this Vostro 1525. I have it for travel if needed -- vacations or roadtrips. But we find it also is convenient to have a laptop around the house for pc work in the kitchen or den or where-ever.

Here's how caddyinfo looks in the den:

bruce-dell-vostro-1525-caddyinfo.jpg

How do you access Caddyinfo.com? Post up a photo of your computer setup with caddyinfo.com or the forum up and share.

Please DO post photos over to a photo site and then LINK back here to help us with the server space.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Funny you should mention it Bruce. I ordered it and used my daughters credit cars (my wife has one in her name so she can get frequent flier miles). It didn't dawn on me to give them HER address instead of mine. Needless to say, the card didn't go through, but did Dell call me. NO! :angry: Over a week later I call the check on the status and am told the order was canceled. Needless to say the sales person will get an angry phone call on Tuesday as a follow up to the voice mail and Email I already left.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

It would seem as if Dell would call the contact phone or use the customer email if there was a problem with the order.

My setup is distributed. I use my computer for multiple purposes, and it it running a bunch of stuff in the background all the time. I have it with a network of lesser computers on a home network and they all work away. I built all of them myself from parts, mostly from NewEgg (I used Fry's Electronics and ComUSA in California in the 1980's and 1990's). The keyboard, monitor, speakers, and trackball were all bought separately, at different times -- in fact in different decades.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have the desktop/router/switch/wireless router in the office (bedroom). The desktop functions as a file server and archival data file storage location.

My garage and screened porch are wired for ethernet and I do most of my internet playing from the porch (weather permitting) using a HP laptop machine. The wireless router is only enabled when I need/want network access with the HP from another location on the property.

It all works for me; Caddyinfo is available where and when I desire.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

We use wifi for around the house access, but yes I wish the house were wired for ethernet to every room. With the router upstairs we usually have excellent wifi reception throughout the house, but occasional outages for some reason I have not tracked down yet. I suspect it has something to do with periodic interference from the neighborhood or similar.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

...I suspect it has something to do with periodic interference from the neighborhood or similar.

Have you tried changing channels if that is an option with your wireless router?

I installed the ethernet wiring many years ago because I am paranoid about security/identity theft issues. Is there a term for more paranoid than everyday paranoid?

And I NEVER conduct any login protected financial transactions over a wireless connection.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Bruce, the area around your computer is just waaaaaay too clean. There is NO WAY, NO HOW that I will post a picture of my desk. I live here at this desk and it looks it...LOL!! The rest of my apartment is basically unused except for the obvious stuff.

My computer is an IBM 8148 desktop, with a Compaq CRT monitor and three different printers, an external hard drive for back ups and a reproduction 1930s style telephone that's been modified to be used on a USB port for Skype calls. I have a Pantone Huey that sits on top of the monitor. It adjusts the monitor automatically based on lighting and every two weeks it makes you calibrate your monitor for proper color rendition. Cable modem and separate router both by Motorola. Cheesy JBL speakers that are attached to the sides of the monitor. Piles of papers and DVDs to my left and to my right, a bottle of Pepto-Bismol for that added touch.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Marika has described my desk to a "T." It would simply be too much trouble to clean it up for a photo, although Marika would be pleased to see three cameras. :)

When the tower went bad a little over a year ago (I think) I bought a relatively high-end Toshiba laptop: 1.86GHz Intel Duo, 2GB RAM, dual layer DVD burner etc. It's a performer, as was my Gateway, but far more physically substantial; no hint of plastic cheapness. It has the rugged feel of my IBM Thinkpad. I added a USB 2.0 500GB external HDD. It effortlessly streams video from my Buffalo Technologies 802.11g wireless network and performs edits without a hiccup. The network has three ReplayTVs on it. It's really neat to be able to wirelessly offload recorded material from any of the ReplayTVs, edit, and burn the resulting video to disk.

I keep a coiled 25' Cat-5 cable that will reach to my desk if I feel the need for extra security. However, I can also use a keychain-style "DIGITAL SECURITY ID" device that is claimed to "make unauthorized log-on virtually impossible; it's like a combination lock for your online accounts that changes every 60 seconds." Yes, I realize "virtually" is a weasel-word.

I have all parts necessary to restore the tower, but I just haven't yet had a "felt need." With the arrival of 3D HDTV this year it may be reincarnated as a home theater media center (HTMC).

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Dear all,

The following link is a partial, quick (crappy) pic of my office at home:

DSCF3331-1.jpg

I didn't realize how sparse it looked, aside from hardware. I believe the desktop below is currently a 2.8 ghz Gateway. It has after market video and sound cards and the Momo racing wheel/pedals etc with surround sound. The DSL modem drives a wireless router that also feeds another wired hub in the garage. I use "Network Magic" for extra wireless security and easier priniting etc.

The big box and two CRT's on the left are for CPU repairs. The area to the right has bins of parts and other CPU's to rest laptop upon for repairs. Further right are program storage areas and a another cabinet of parts, test equipment etc. The other end of the room has a home theater networked PC and a few other newer CPU's waiting their turn for critical parts to arrive via other donations.

THe following link is a partial pic of the garage:

DSCF3328.jpg

Obviously pegboarded for mice, cables, and cords. Additional monitors and printers above with completed systems on tables connected via the 16-port hub. I have perhaps 150 or so hard drives around and another few dozen CD/DVD-drives. There are maybe another dozen systems below the tables waiting their turn. I get systems donated up to perhaps 2.6 ghz, but only a few LCD screens.

This is a simple hobby to rebuild computers and donate/sell cheap for our Lions Club. Most folks really like a $10 system complete with Internet capability, Microsoft Works, (and maybe a 500mhz cpu at that price).

Thanks,

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived