CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The Data Theft Scandal

http://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=34517

Investigative reporting video about call centers in India and how the call center workers are mining credit and debit card data and selling it all around the world.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Simple solution, to all here: order online from trustworthy vendors, not by phone.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Seems like a very thorough report and investigation. "Always check your statements to be sure you are not victim of fraud" seems good advice.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Sorry, the video "wasn't available." Maybe later. I'll check back.

In the "Security" area I enjoyed an interesting experience today at work; I hope this isn't too far OT. In an attempt to "pair" two Bluetooth devices I searched for "Devices Within Range" and found a rather big fish whose Bluetooth equipped laptop was set to Bluetooth "Discoverable" as opposed to "non-Discoverable." Not such a good thing! :(

This is something you really need to look at. If your Bluetooth enabled computer (or other device) is "Discoverable," it is broadcasting to the world within a half mile diameter that "I'm ready to be compromised. Do me!"

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

This is something you really need to look at. If your Bluetooth enabled computer (or other device) is "Discoverable," it is broadcasting to the world within a half mile diameter that "I'm ready to be compromised. Do me!"

I'm not sure if you were exagerating to get your point across or not. Typical bluetooth range is 10 meters (32 feet) but high powered devices can have a range of 100 meters. Your average headset or computer will have a typical range of 32 feet.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

WiFi has a nominal range of 100 feet and has similar settings, of "Broadcast ID" or not. You can get minimal security by having everything you need hook up once to "learn" the WiFi ID and turn off the broadcast. That, and MAC address filtering, was all I used to do until a couple of years ago, when I turned on WPA encryption too. If you do use WiFi, change the ID from the default "linksys" or "belkin" to something like a weak password, like "Aorta343" or some such.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I'm not sure if you were exagerating to get your point across or not. Typical bluetooth range is 10 meters (32 feet) but high powered devices can have a range of 100 meters. Your average headset or computer will have a typical range of 32 feet.

Sophisticated hackers using high gain antennas and slightly more powerful transmitters can, in fact, achieve a range of half a mile. Such equipment was used in the recent attack on TJMAX and others that netted 40,000,000 credit card accounts.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• 2 weeks later...

Sophisticated hackers using high gain antennas and slightly more powerful transmitters can, in fact, achieve a range of half a mile. Such equipment was used in the recent attack on TJMAX and others that netted 40,000,000 credit card accounts.

Regards,

Warren

Bluetooth and wifi are different technologies and have different uses. I was responding to a post about bluetooth.

For an interesting tidbit of information, the world record for unamplified wifi is 125 miles, set at the DefCon convention. The longest range I've personally seen with my old antenna setup was about a mile, there's always something in the way blocking the signal.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Archived