CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Overheating Problem?

fredvv123

Hi,

I have a 97 deville 130000 miles and i am having some weird things happen. I was driving through a big valley a week ago and at the end there was a hill. When i got to the hill I had to stop at a stop light. When i stopped white smoke or steam began pouring out of the drivers side of the hood. I looked at the temp and it was normal. When I started driving again the steam stopped. I immidiately took it to the radiator shop (radiator replaced 15000 miles ago). The mechanic said he could not find any radiator fluid leaks at or around the engine. The fluid was about a half gallon low. Havent seen smoke since like that but at night when I park steam comes out of the engine and i can smell radiator fluid. Also when i stop at a stop light i can smell radiator. Temp gauge has remained normal except for small movements as the fan kicks on and off. I dont have white foam oil or white steam out of my exaust. The collant goes down about an inch a day since refill.

I read the codes:

P0139 current - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 2 (new o2 sensors 1000 miles ago)

B0553 current - Cant remember what this one means but i think it has something to do with my broken fuel gauge.

Any ideas on whats going on would help

Thanks,

Fred

Fred,

OMG! Didn't anyone tell you to never, ever - drive a Caddy through a big vally with a hill at the end? :o !

Just Kidding... :P

Seriously though, why was the radiator replaced?

Did they also replace the plastic tanks at the end? I believe that some plastic tanks have become brittle and developed small cracks that tend to seep when hot.

There are also a pair of small coolant hoses attached to the heater core at the rear of engine compartment, via plastic connections as well.

It may be possilbe that one of these plastic parts has developed some small cracks that open up a bit when hot.

Were new coolant tabs "Bars", added to seal small leaks? This would be a good thing BTW.

The "ginger root" in this product may may sealed one of the first big cracks, (explaining the first incident, that has not re-occurred).

However, there may be another small crack that only develops seepage when hot and it may be at an odd location that is difficult to spot.

Good luck, ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

It sounds like a split radiator tank or spread seal to me. Look for dried coolant in a thin line on the left radiator tank, particularly near the seams where the tank meets the core. Look on the front, and use a penlight to look where the tank is near metal.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It certainly sounds like you have a pin hole leak, a cracked radiator tank or leaking tank seal. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a leaking water pump either.

The water pump leak may be hard to spot as the shaft & seal are on the back (right) side of the pump close to the cylinder head.

You state that you can see steam at night coming from under the hood. I would get a flashlight, drive the car fairly hard, park in a dark area, lift the hood & look for the source of the steam.

Once you isolate the area where the steam is coming from, you should be able to determine what is leaking.

If this is inconclusive, then the next step would be to have your anti freeze checked for combustion gases. That would tell you if you had a head gasket problem or not.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

Hi,

I looked at the heater core hoses, no leaks, the coolant tank is new 15000 miles ago. I took it to the radiator shop this morning and asked if he would preassure test it. He said he couldnt until monday of next week so i offered him a case of beer and to say the least its getting tested right now. Will report with results. I hope he finds the leak.

Thanks,

Fred

Hmm coolant tank replaced and radiator replaced and you are losing coolant. An inch a day is quite a bit of coolant to lose. Do you know if they used the cooling supplement when they replaced the radiator and tank?

Out of the drivers side of the hood, this could be crossover seals blowing at a certain pressure and you could be seeping when hot. Leaks that leak under pressure are hard to see because the coolant vaporizes when it hits the air.

Have you had a look at your water pump? The shaft seal and body seal could be leaking and that would put coolant right on the manifolds.

Cant wait to see what the shop finds

Replace your O2 sensor, you will get better gas mileage

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hmm coolant tank replaced and radiator replaced and you are losing coolant. An inch a day is quite a bit of coolant to lose. Do you know if they used the cooling supplement when they replaced the radiator and tank?

Out of the drivers side of the hood, this could be crossover seals blowing at a certain pressure and you could be seeping when hot. Leaks that leak under pressure are hard to see because the coolant vaporizes when it hits the air.

Have you had a look at your water pump? The shaft seal and body seal could be leaking and that would put coolant right on the manifolds.

Cant wait to see what the shop finds

Replace your O2 sensor, you will get better gas mileage

Sorry to get off topic.. quick question.. how often should your O2 sensors be replaced? or should you only do it when you are getting a code?

I am not sure if they added the supplement. What is it for? Since i am not sure should i change my coolant now and put the suppliment in?

I have not looked at my water pump yet but it is definently a possibility that is the problem.

I forgot to mention that i havn't seen fluid on the ground suggesting that maybe it only leaks while warmed up.

Also i had the gm stealership replace 2 O2 sensors about 1000 miles ago,

Are there more than 2 sensors or did one of the new ones go bad

Dana, if they are slow or non functional you will set a code. If you don't get a code, you can pretty much leave them alone.

Fred got a: P0139 current - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 2 code

There are 4 oxygen sensors, one in each exhaust manifold, one before the CAT, and one after the CAT. Here is the key:

Oxygen Sensor Location Chart:

Bank 1 Sensor 1 - right bank (rear) manifold

Bank 1 Sensor 2 - pre-cat

Bank 1 Sensor 3 - aft-cat

Bank 2 Sensor 1 - left bank (front) manifold

The code you are getting is for Bank 1 Sensor 2 being SLOW, that is the sensor BEFORE the CAT..I had to replace my pre-cat sensor last year, and my cousin had to replace his pre-cat in a 96 last year (I replaced it for him).

Pull out the receipt if you have it or call the dealer and see which ones they replaced.

The cooling supplement tablets should be used, you can buy it at the dealer, wait until you find the leak and add 6 into the upper hose. I am hoping you are going to find a bad WP cover, by pass hose or loose clamp.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hi,

I went to the radiator shop today after work and they found the leaks. Before the leaks showed up though the system was preasurized for 3 hours. The first leak, which i cant believe i didnt see, was on a small hose on the drivers side of the engine. This was a hose clamp :o . The second leak i am not so sure what it is and neither is the rad shop. The leak is on the corner of the engine closest to the driver below a metal hose. There is a rubber hose linking a small metal hose to the engine which I tightened the clamps on. I am hoping that this is where it is leaking because reparing an engine for $0 minus a case of beer has been on my christmas list for a long time.

As for the O2 sensor, the gm dealership replaced bank 1 and 2 pre O2 sensors. Are one of these the sensor in question?

Any way thanks for all the help and replies this is a truly great and helpful site.

Thanks,

Fred

There are 2 coolant pipes that run along the rear head that are known to rust out and leak. They are all but impossible to see because of the close proximity to the firewall. Have them checked out.

Hi,

I went to the radiator shop today after work and they found the leaks. Before the leaks showed up though the system was preasurized for 3 hours. The first leak, which i cant believe i didnt see, was on a small hose on the drivers side of the engine. This was a hose clamp :o . The second leak i am not so sure what it is and neither is the rad shop. The leak is on the corner of the engine closest to the driver below a metal hose. There is a rubber hose linking a small metal hose to the engine which I tightened the clamps on. I am hoping that this is where it is leaking because reparing an engine for $0 minus a case of beer has been on my christmas list for a long time.

As for the O2 sensor, the gm dealership replaced bank 1 and 2 pre O2 sensors. Are one of these the sensor in question?

Any way thanks for all the help and replies this is a truly great and helpful site.

Thanks,

Fred

Fred, I replaced the green hoses you saw and the radiator pipes, if you do a search under bodybyfisher and heater pipes you will probably find my thread, it was last july or so... some good photos, I recall. Ill look for it later, I have been futzing around in another thread and need to eat dinner

Fred,

OMG! Didn't anyone tell you to never, ever - drive a Caddy through a big vally with a hill at the end? :o !

Just Kidding... :P

:lol: You had me going for a moment. I guess it's time for bed.

Archived