CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2008 Impala LS

Does anyone know how to pull codes on a 2008 Impala LS? If it's not possible, can anyone recommend a code reader that will work with the 2008 Impala LS.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

There is a wide range of OBD II code readers for all GM products plus Toyota and some others. For $100 and under you can get simple ones that can read the PCM codes and other codes that turn on the MIL or will cause the car to fail emissions inspection, and reset the PCM codes. For under $200 you can get some that are more capable, such as reading all import OBD II ports and having a readout like "P0101 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Performance" instead of just P0101. For about $400 you can get laptop or PC based scanners that approach or exceed the capability of the Tech II, and can read and plot data in real time such as oxygen sensor voltage waveforms while the engine is running, and the log data tables in the FSM, and their software is updated yearly after the new models come out.

I have one of the under-$100 types that I use for my wife's 1999 Pontiac, and have used for a friend's 2000 Toyota Avalon. I was not fully aware of the limitations or I would have gotten a more capable one that could read all the codes.

Google "OBD II code scanner" for a plethora of links. Even Amazon.com sells a wide selection.

Someone who has one or two of these might step in with a product review or two.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Does this car need a CAN (Controlled Area Network) spec for OBD2 cars?, I thought that OBD2 newer that 2006 or so needed to be CAN compatitble... Something to look into

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I've decided on the Equus 3130 code reader.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3130-Diagnosti...2580&sr=1-3

Hope I made a good choice. :lol:

* Professional OBD2 Generic Scan Tool all 1996 and newer cars, light trucks, and SUVs – Domestic, Asian and European Import

* Features unique patented all-in-one screen display and LED display for quick emissions check

* Communicates with all OBD 2 protocols: C.A.N. (Controller Area Network), ISO 9141, J1850PWM, J1850VPW, KWP 2000 ISO 14230-4

* Provides SAE enhanced Live Data - views, records, and plays back* live PCM data streams

* Displays Freeze Frame Data

* Includes Spanish and French Interface & Definitions (selected by a menu command)

* Retrieves OBD2 DTCs: Generic Codes (P0, P2, P3, and U0) / Manufacturer Specific Codes (P1, P3, and U1)

* Unit can be flash updated with a standard Windows® PC (OBD-PC Link™ software required / included with tool)

* Memory / Battery backup for off-car review and analysis

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Marika,

That looks like a good choice. I'll look forward to hearing about your hands on experience.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Marika,

That looks like a good choice. I'll look forward to hearing about your hands on experience.

Regards,

Warren

Frankly, it's idiot proof and very intuitive. Turn the car off. Plug in the scanner. Turn the car ignition key to the ON position, do not start the car. Press the Link button and it downloads any codes in your car's computer. My experience said "No codes to download".....ahhhhhhhhhh, heaven... :P:lol:

You can also set it up to run in real time so it will monitor your system while you are driving, requires a passenger to read and monitor the unit.

Archived