CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1996 DeVille - Left Front Wheel Hum

newbold1

I just purchased a 1996 DeVille and put new Michelin Symmetry tires on it. Both before and after the new tires were put on I noticed that driving around 40-50 miles per hour the left front wheel seems to hum. When curving to the right the sound seems the same or maybe even a little louder. When curving to the left the sound just about goes completely away.

Also, I notice that to drive straight ahead the steering wheel is ever so slightly turned to the right. If I put the steering wheel with the Cadillac emblem perfectly straight up the car drifts just a little bit to the left and won't track straight.

Is this likely to be an alignment issue or is the hum due to a wheel bearing problem? Any ideas as to what may be the issue?

I believe you have a hub bearing problem, check the ball joint while you are at it. Look straight at the car to see if you front wheel is 'squatting'

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The hum is probably the left front wheel bearing.

As you turn to the LEFT and take weight OFF of it... the noise is less.

As you turn to the RIGHT and put weight On it... it gets louder.

Classic symtoms.

Posted Image

I'm thinking that the right wheel bearing is the one making the noise. When turning to the left, the sound goes away which would indicate the right side bearing is not being loaded.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'm thinking that the right wheel bearing is the one making the noise. When turning to the left, the sound goes away which would indicate the right side bearing is not being loaded.

hi guys, i have been a member for awlile and i just became a supporter today ...

i too think that i have a hub assembly problem ... i get a noise from the left ft. wheel area , that sound alittle, like a mud tire on a pickup,as i turn the wheel slightly to the left and during braking ... i also think, that when i fix it, that the general drivetrain noise level will improve because i think i can hear it in the back ground just not near a loud as when turning to the left and even then it's not that loud ...

anyway, what i would like to know here is ... how tough is it to replace the right(pass.) hub assy. on a 1996 concoures useing a floor jack ... i have many good tools but alas no floorlift ... and also how long will it take ???

i have owned many e-type jag's,triumph's,mg's alpha's and gm's etc. and have aways done my on work on my cars ecept machine work and auto trans. work ... so i am not a stranger to a wrench ...

sorry if i have been long winded here but thought it important for you to know where i am coming from ...

Lane

Archived