CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Quick update on the new DTS

JohnnyG

I think I named my new car today........"Starship Enterprise". I know, stupid, but MAN this is a car!

Heading down the highway getting 26.5 average MPG at 920 miles on the clock, I think it will end up a solid 28 mpg when it finally gets broken in a little more. All this is strictly highway reset, but at 72 MPH! Incredible!

Tried out the OnStar turn by turn directions yesterday. Went to Salt Fork State Park, a place I've never visited. It took a little while to explain to the operator exactly where I wanted to go, but she caught on quickly, and spoke english! It was like talking to my car, I swear!

Then I ran into a little trouble....I tried to turn on the radio, and it wouldn't work. I'm like DUH. what did I do! In the end I think I failed to disconnect from Onstar. Technical support kinda sucked, and wanted to bother me for WAY too long. I just hung up, hit the phone button to hang up and we were back to normal. They STILL don't make this stuff for OLD GUYS!

After I was back on track, the thing was amazing! The voice would come on periodically and tell you that a turn or Y was coming up. Then much to my surprise, a little picture of the intersection would show up on the RADIO DISPLAY, complete with distance to turn underneath! I was very surprised, and pleased. The miles counted down in tenths, much like any other Nav sytem would. Who needs a $3000.00 NAV syatem when this is available as standard equipment?

So I'm runnin' down the road at 72 mph, and it starts to rain.....the rainsense wipers kick on, the stereo kicks up a little, the headlights come on, and I haven't done a thing! NICE. I take the extra time to adjust the steering wheel, and the lumbar support, turn the seat coolers on, and get a little massage from the seats. Yep, It's the Starship Enterprise in the flesh!

OH, and the car sent me it's first e-mail the other day. It says it's OK, but my right front tire has 1 lb. of air more than the rest, I fixed that the next day.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I am sorry, but I have to lodge a complaint!, that is the name of my car, Enterprise!, as a matter of fact, someplace I have a photo my car with the NCC-1701D photoshopped into the license plate! So no stealing my idea. BUT, I totally tip my hat to you, I know EXACTLY what you mean, and the the name Enterprise makes perfect sense to me, its not stupid. I can ONLY imagine what your DTS is like, considering that I am constantly AWED by my 96 on the open road. Good for you..

Your car sounds incredible, and I can feel your excitement, PLUS, I never realized that you were a TOTAL fanatic till you posted this, :lol:, you adjusted ONE POUND? :lol: :lol:, Did it ever occur to you that the RIGHT front had 1 pound more ON PURPOSE, to compensate for the crown in the road?, :lol: Now you will get different handling characteristics, hmmm :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I never realized that you were a TOTAL fanatic till you posted this, :lol: , you adjusted ONE POUND? :lol::lol: , Did it ever occur to you that the RIGHT front had 1 pound more ON PURPOSE, to compensate for the crown in the road?, :lol: Now you will get different handling characteristics, hmmm :lol:

I didn't realize "I" was a fanatic either :lol: ... till I read that about adjusting the one pound... and thought ... "GOOD JOB" :lol: and then realized that I do that also. :lol:

I keep 32psi rear and 34 front. I check them at least once a week. I use the built in TPMS to keep them EXACTLY the same on front axle and rear axle.

I will have to give that idea about the 1 pound more in the right front some thought. :lol: . :lol:

Posted Image

JohnnyG,

I am glad to hear that you are really liking your new DTS. It is real neat what the car does for you. I am a gadget freak... I love automatic stuff.

The other day we were stopped at a light... a loud motorcycle pulled up beside us...he revved his engine a couple of times... the radio turned itself UP to compensate for the added noise. :D

You may have noticed.. when the RainSense wipers come on... the car turns on your headlights for you. It quits raining... RainSense off...Headlights off.

I know what you mean about it being like you and the car are talking to each other. I think it is so cool. :D

The Turn by Turn in your 2008 is quite a bit more advanced than in my 2006. The electronics were upgraded a lot on 2008. I wish mine was like yours.

I have used the Turn by Turn from OnStar in my previous DTS. (it didn't have the NAV system) It didn't scroll on the radio readout and you had to push a button for it to talk to you. I only used it a couple of times... in THAT car.

The one I have now DOES have the NAV. I love it.

I use OnStar quite a bit. In conjuction with the NAV, it is fantastic.

My brother and I usually meet for dinner on Friday nights. He is always finding a new place to go that I am unfamiliar with. ( I think he wants me to get lost or be late.) :D:D

All I do is ask the nice lady that lives in my car where it is...she tells me.. I show up ontime. :D Pretty cool. He doesn't know how helpful she is. :D:D

We like to travel...ROAD TRIPS. We never know EXACTLY where we are going when we leave home. Just the general direction. It is hard to make advance reservations when you don't know where you are going to be. :D

At the end of the day...as we come to the town where we are going to spend the night... the nice lady tells me where the La Quinta or Holiday Inn is. Then (after we unload the car) she tells me where a good restuarant is. :D I like her. She is nice.

Recently renewed for three years so that I can keep talking to her. :D

Sounds like you have it all pretty well figured out... but if I can ever be of any help.. just ask.

Posted Image

Jim, I like the way you travel it reminds me of the way my parents traveled, of course you have a BIT more technology on board :lol:

So is your wife getting jealous of this nice lady? Your story reminds me of the Garmin commercial, where the guy asks the female voice to marry him, :lol:

Can't WAIT for your car to be OLD so I can OWN one!

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yeah, TexasJim, that was one of the reasons that I got the new wheels. I'm going to retire soon, and really wanted a car that I could travel in. The extra stuff was a bit of a surprise really....most ads don't talk up OnStar or any American made auto for that matter.

One thing I need to straighten out though. The road display on the radio doesn't scroll, it just shows you a static black and white representation of the next intersection, the miles count down underneath the display telling you how for you have to go. The Navigation is more advanced by far, but this is a good substitute.

I didn't get 3 or 4 things on this car, adaptive cruise control, lane departure warnings, and Nav. So far I haven't missed any of them. I DO miss the lower gearing of the STS. That thing would NEVER downshift on ANY hill while driving normally. Now if you pushed it.....BAM, you were outa there! The higher gearing of the DTS does require an occasional downshift, but its not too bad or too frequent.

Now about the FANATIC part.....It was actually more like 1/2 lb of air....a half second or less on the valve stem! I figured it was just enough air for the TPMS to "round up" a little. I have them all at 45 psi cold, but man you should see them jump up when the car gets rolling. 47 - 49 easy. Then the other day, when it was raining, the tire pressures were all over the place....every tire had a different pressure! I decided right then and there not to worry too much about it. Got back to the garage and they were all at 45 psi again. Wierd.

Sorry Body, 'bout stealing your car's name. It was just fitting at the time, I knew you had already picked it. Would you make a suggestion as to what I should call it?

I still haven't had time to get the pictures. Those emblems are called "Sail Panel Emblems wreath/crest" just in case anybody is interested. They're a nice touch.

Yeah, TexasJim, that was one of the reasons that I got the new wheels. I'm going to retire soon, and really wanted a car that I could travel in. The extra stuff was a bit of a surprise really....most ads don't talk up OnStar or any American made auto for that matter.

One thing I need to straighten out though. The road display on the radio doesn't scroll, it just shows you a static black and white representation of the next intersection, the miles count down underneath the display telling you how for you have to go. The Navigation is more advanced by far, but this is a good substitute.

I didn't get 3 or 4 things on this car, adaptive cruise control, lane departure warnings, and Nav. So far I haven't missed any of them. I DO miss the lower gearing of the STS. That thing would NEVER downshift on ANY hill while driving normally. Now if you pushed it.....BAM, you were outa there! The higher gearing of the DTS does require an occasional downshift, but its not too bad or too frequent.

Now about the FANATIC part.....It was actually more like 1/2 lb of air....a half second or less on the valve stem! I figured it was just enough air for the TPMS to "round up" a little. I have them all at 45 psi cold, but man you should see them jump up when the car gets rolling. 47 - 49 easy. Then the other day, when it was raining, the tire pressures were all over the place....every tire had a different pressure! I decided right then and there not to worry too much about it. Got back to the garage and they were all at 45 psi again. Wierd.

Sorry Body, 'bout stealing your car's name. It was just fitting at the time, I knew you had already picked it. Would you make a suggestion as to what I should call it?

I still haven't had time to get the pictures. Those emblems are called "Sail Panel Emblems wreath/crest" just in case anybody is interested. They're a nice touch.

OH, I agree, its a perfect description... I am NCC-1701D and you are NCC-1701E :lol: (Fanatic was an endearing term in this case, I like Fanatics and happen to be one myself!) 45 PSI, wow, what size are those tires and why so much pressure is that the spec?

JohnnieG,

Are you sure about the tire pressure? 45 PSi seems WAY HIGH to me. Mine sets off the TPMS at 40 PSI.

I have the Performance Sedan... with the lower gearing and Magnetic Ride. Your Lux lll will get a LOT better fuel mileage than mine does. I get 21 to 22 mpg on the road if I keep my foot out of it. Thats driving around 80 /85.

I do like the scroll of the nav. You can zoom in and out to get a better idea of where you are AT... in relation to where you want TO GO. But it is not essential. I did not have NAV in the other one.

I am not retired ... in fact my usual work week is 50 to 60 hours.

We have still managed to put over 60,000 miles on them in two years.

Did I mention I like ROAD TRIPS? :D:DLONG road trips. :D:D

When you start traveling a lot... the OnStar comes in real handy to find your hotel and resturants when you are on the road and don't know where anything is.

I think you just had a glitch when yours didm't disconnect. I am guessing the OnStar operator had put you on hold while downloading the directions to your car and forgot to hang up...therefore keeping you on the line.

If I may make a suggestion... put the OnStar number in your cellphone. I have locked myself out of the car TWICE. Once I was about 30/40 miles out of the metro area.

Both times it was my own stupidity and being in a hurry. A quick call to OnStar .. and 30 seconds later...they unlocked the doors.

Considering how much a Pop-A-Lock guy would charge to come out and open it... plus waiting an hour or two on him... and the VERY REAL danger of him messing up something in the door... It has already saved me about what a years subscription cost. Plus I like talking to the nice lady that lives in my car. :D:D She is SMART. She knows my name and where I am at, everytime I call her. :D

Posted Image

Yeah, TexasJim, that was one of the reasons that I got the new wheels. I'm going to retire soon, and really wanted a car that I could travel in.

I have them all at 45 psi cold, but man you should see them jump up when the car gets rolling. 47 - 49 easy. Got back to the garage and they were all at 45 psi again. Wierd.

If I may ask... why are you running 45 PSI in them? That worries me... unless they are some kind of special tire.

Even on my "H" rated Bridgestone's ... the sidewall says MAX 44 PSI.

I think if you check the manual, it will say 30 to 32 PSI.

If they ARE AT 45 and SHOULD BE be at 32... you will have a TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE better ride if you adjust the pressure closer to what it should be.

I know I am sticking my nose in where I wasn't asked... but I have been around tires all my life. (My Dad was in the tire business) I am worried that you may damage the structual integrity of the tire and are putting yourself at risk of a blowout, if you are running it way over inflated.

You can tell me to shut up and mind my own business. :D:D That it is YOUR car and you will do with it what you want to. :D:D

Posted Image

I don't know Jim, it seems to me that you are obsessed with the ON STAR lady, :lol: Do you lock your keys in the car on purpose or more often now? :lol:

I don't know Jim, it seems to me that you are obsessed with the ON STAR lady, :lol: Do you lock your keys in the car on purpose or more often now? :lol:

You know... maybe you are on to something. I have only locked my keys in the car one time... that I remember... in the last 25 years. :lol::lol:

Till I got the Cadillac with OnStar. :lol::lol:

Now it has been twice in one year. :lol::lol:

Posted Image

How long does it last

Can love be measured by the hours in a day

I have no answers now but this much I can say

I know Ill need her till the stars all burn away

And shell be there

:lol:

Was this about the OnStar Lady?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry! I meant 35 psi......@#$% Shiraz anyway!

Archived