CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

That's not snow you're seeing.

Ice mixed with a bit of snow, sleet, rain, hail. Winter has arrived in New Jersey

Picture001_1.jpg

Picture002_1.jpg

Picture004_1.jpg

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

It's nice to be on Long Island.

While yours was little to complain about, ours was less. May God help those folk in Albany!

Regards,

Warren

P.S. You too, Buffalo!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I got a good 5" of global warming yesterday.

Have courage; AlGore will sustain you. :blink:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

After all, he makes no more than $40 Million a year on his Global-Warming scam.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Regards,

Warren

That's what worries me.

Oh yee of little faith!

Caption THIS!

post-416-1197851084_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

Come on give the guy a chance, after all, he invented the internet, a little global warming, should not be a problem :rolleyes: The liberals crack me up, not only do that give GORE a Nobel peace price for unproven BS, they give one to limp wristed hate america first, Carter.

The Nobel Peace Prize is now being given away in Happy Meals, hurry up only while supplies last....... They are self congradulatory to build credibility in an attempt to influence politics, what crap.

I heard last week that refreezing was taking place... DUH. Has anyone even considered the following?

The tilt of the earth on its axis and what impact the WOBBLE that it has, has on the weather?

What was the impact of the hundreds and hundreds of oil wells that were set ablaze in 1991 by sadaam?, they took years in some cases to extinguish

Mt St Helena

That the last few years of a higher than 'normal' hurricane occurance was the way in which the oceans cool themselves off?, and the last two summer the level has been normal? Many of the current 'hurricanes' would not even have been detected in the past, they were just bad storms. Anyone notice that there are NO high buildings in the caribbean and buildings are built of block

They use Katrina as an example, but no one seems to care that much of the area that was flooded was 15 feet below sea level. The amazing thing is that they want to build there again

The jet stream, dropped further south

sun cycles

sun spots

weather cycle

why in the 70s were we talking global cooling

what happened to the hole in the ozone discussion that was so popular?, I hear it closed up

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

They use Katrina as an example, but no one seems to care that much of the area that was flooded was 15 feet below sea level. The amazing thing is that they want to build there again

Now THAT has always amazed me. Both, why anyone would build or live in a city ON the gulf coast, BELOW sea level :wacko: and then why rebuild it. It's only a matter of time.

The entire scam that 'the media' loves to headline - lead story is my number one hot button. It is enough to cause frothing at the mouth and increased heart rate based on the pure irrationality of how the masses react to "news".

Faulty science based on distorted historical data (and some guess-temates in place of data) makes for eye catching headlines. Pure science does not sell newpapers.

Mix in some self-serving UN employees and you have arrived at the current state of distortion. On the subject of the UN, it is long past time to move UN headquarters about 200 miles due east and see if their priorities change a little.

Of course our climate is changing; our sun is a dynamic little star. The energy output of our sun is far from constant; it fluctuates in ways that insignificant humanoids cannot even measure let alone predict. Not so very long ago in humanoid terms, a large portion of the northern half of this rock was under hundreds of feet of ice. Let's hear it for global warming!

Turn your imagination loose and allow your mental vision to back away from our sun (take a God's eye view if you will). Our sun soon becomes nothing more than another bright star in the view. Back up some more and our sun becomes lost as just one more point of light in the entire milky way. Back up a little more and our sun is not even one of the brightest stars in the milky way. Back up some more and....

And to take the position that the activity of mere humanoids could impact the climate on one of the miniscule rocks orbiting this tiny star is too much absurdity for this insignificant humanoid to accept.

Back to earth.

As Marika showed us, ice is reclaiming New Jersey.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Let's look at this realistically.

Any scientist who is awake with a pulse will tell you one thing: the Sun's output is currently increasing. I/they dunno why, but it simply *IS*. It happens periodically. No one knows why. Least of all Ralph Nader. He still hasn't yet figured out the Corvair (about which he was wrong, BTW).

Not to make too fine a point of it, but the Sun is undergoing extraordinary warming. Are humans responsible for this? Not likely. Any chance the the Sun's increased output has anything to do with increased temperatures on Mars? Yeah, could be. Maybe.

Might it affect us here on Earth? Could be. It could warm us.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Here's what the storm left in upstate. Didn't take a measurement but as you can tell by the shovel (your standard red handled black shovel) that it's fairly deep. Around here it's not too big of a deal. Events were closed for Sunday but everything was back up and open for Monday. Underneath the fluffy lake effect snow there is a 6-8 inch layer of sleet and fine silt-like storm snow and it's pretty heavy. It was a killer on the back to shovel it but the snow blower liked it. Hope everyone faired well. Some friends of ours just to the north received twice this amount... that's exciting.

3 snow pics

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Come on give the guy a chance, after all, he invented the internet, a little global warming, should not be a problem :rolleyes: The liberals crack me up, not only do that give GORE a Nobel peace price for unproven BS, they give one to limp wristed hate america first, Carter.

The Nobel Peace Prize is now being given away in Happy Meals, hurry up only while supplies last....... They are self congradulatory to build credibility in an attempt to influence politics, what crap.

I heard last week that refreezing was taking place... DUH. Has anyone even considered the following?

The tilt of the earth on its axis and what impact the WOBBLE that it has, has on the weather?

What was the impact of the hundreds and hundreds of oil wells that were set ablaze in 1991 by sadaam?, they took years in some cases to extinguish

Mt St Helena

That the last few years of a higher than 'normal' hurricane occurance was the way in which the oceans cool themselves off?, and the last two summer the level has been normal? Many of the current 'hurricanes' would not even have been detected in the past, they were just bad storms. Anyone notice that there are NO high buildings in the caribbean and buildings are built of block

The jet stream, dropped further south

sun cycles

sun spots

weather cycle

why in the 70s were we talking global cooling

what happened to the hole in the ozone discussion that was so popular?, I hear it closed up

Interesting movie on Global Warming.

http://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=17727

You'll need either the very latest version of Real Player or DIVX Player to view this video. 1 hour 15 minutes long.

P.S. You'll probably not be able to view it using "Internet Exploder" but you'll still see a link where you can download the movie.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

The other thing that bothers me about this global warming situation is that there is a major push in government to get rid of the tungsten light bulb and replace it with florescent bulbs. They talk about the "carbon foot print" of a tungsten bulb claiming it using 90% more energy than a florescent bulb. This may be true, but what everyone is ignoring is the TOXIC content of florescent bulbs, MERCURY. After 9/11, air samples were studied in New York City and it was found that the air had highly toxic levels of mercury. Why? because when the trade centers were brought down, thousands of florescent bulbs inside those buildings shattered discharging mercury into the atmosphere. Perhaps thousands of MILES of mercury filled florescent office lights shattered, spewing their mercury vapors into the atmosphere.

Already, Australia has BANNED tungsten bulbs and ONLY approves the use of florescent bulbs. I'd like to know what their solution will be when the landfills start to get clogged with florescent bulbs and suddenly they find the air, land and water supplies being poisoned by mercury seepage from those landfills. I wonder how big of a "carbon foot print" will be created by the need to recycle florescent bulbs as a toxic substance, requiring special handling, etc. and of course, the toxic cleanups that will have to happen after all "the dust settles".

Good info Marika, I knew they were toxic, but I had not considered the volume of flourescent bulbs at the WTC when it went down, every floor with bulbs wow. I had not thought about that before. Masks should have been mandatory. I believe however that a lot of emotion over wrote self presevation, looking for friends and survivors.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Will no one caption it?

I expect it's rich with possibilities.

post-416-1197954539_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

Find those hanging chads, I just put up with a frat boy for 8 years, there is no way I am losing this election, I will have to find another scam if I do

Good info Marika, I knew they were toxic, but I had not considered the volume of flourescent bulbs at the WTC when it went down, every floor with bulbs wow. I had not thought about that before. Masks should have been mandatory. I believe however that a lot of emotion over wrote self presevation, looking for friends and survivors.

Giulliani and the EPA LIED to the american people when they said the air was safe to breath. They knew what was found in the air samples at Ground Zero.

The interesting point though is that just about every florescent bulb on this planet is manufactured either in China or Mexico. Are the governments of the world who approve the use of florescent bulbs also guilty of polluting the manufacturing countries with mercury in an effort to help these counties economically?

At a time when governments are pushing their citizens to get away from the use of mercury thermometers and blood pressure instruments, those same governments are pushing to place toxic mercury vapors in our very homes again, but simply in a different form.

When the rates of mental retardation in our children start to rise because of mercury poisoning, who will blame it on childhood vaccinations instead of blaming the humble florescent light bulb?

The "carbon footprint" that will be produced due to the toxic nature of mercury will be a hell of a lot larger than what a tungsten bulb ever produced. Governments routinely make bad decisions.

Ranger,

With all due respect, that's been done.

I was thinking more along the lines of, "I didn't have sex with that tree. Hugger." :o

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

or Cindy Sheehan.........but that depends on what your definition of sex is, thanks to my buddy Bill, he he

Your definition is "WIDE!"

Posted Image

The other thing that bothers me about this global warming situation is that there is a major push in government to get rid of the tungsten light bulb and replace it with florescent bulbs. They talk about the "carbon foot print" of a tungsten bulb claiming it using 90% more energy than a florescent bulb. This may be true, but what everyone is ignoring is the TOXIC content of florescent bulbs, MERCURY. After 9/11, air samples were studied in New York City and it was found that the air had highly toxic levels of mercury. Why? because when the trade centers were brought down, thousands of florescent bulbs inside those buildings shattered discharging mercury into the atmosphere. Perhaps thousands of MILES of mercury filled florescent office lights shattered, spewing their mercury vapors into the atmosphere.

Already, Australia has BANNED tungsten bulbs and ONLY approves the use of florescent bulbs. I'd like to know what their solution will be when the landfills start to get clogged with florescent bulbs and suddenly they find the air, land and water supplies being poisoned by mercury seepage from those landfills. I wonder how big of a "carbon foot print" will be created by the need to recycle florescent bulbs as a toxic substance, requiring special handling, etc. and of course, the toxic cleanups that will have to happen after all "the dust settles".

This info was on Yahoo today

U.S.News & World Report

FAQ: The End of the Light Bulb as We Know It

Wednesday December 19, 11:01 am ET

By Marianne Lavelle

The incandescent light bulb, one of the most venerable inventions of its era but deemed too inefficient for our own, will be phased off the U.S. market beginning in 2012 under the new energy law just approved by Congress. Although this will reduce electricity costs and minimize new bulb purchases in every household in America, you may be feeling in the dark about the loss of your old, relatively reliable source of light. Here's a primer on the light bulb phase-out and what will mean to you:

Why are they taking my light bulbs away? Moving to more efficient lighting is one of the lowest-cost ways for the nation to reduce electricity use and greenhouse gases. In fact, it actually will save households money because of lower utility bills. Ninety percent of the energy that an incandescent light bulb burns is wasted as heat. And yet, sales of the most common high-efficiency bulb available--the compact fluorescent (CFL)--amount to only 5 percent of the light bulb market. Earlier this year, Australia became the first country to announce an outright ban by 2010 on incandescent bulbs. The changeover in the United States will be more gradual, not mandated to begin until 2012 and phased out through 2014. However, don't be surprised if some manufacturers phase out earlier.

How do I save money, when a CFL costs six times as much as an old-fashioned bulb? Each cone-shaped spiral CFL costs about $3, compared with 50 cents for a standard bulb. But a CFL uses about 75 percent less energy and lasts five years instead of a few months. A household that invested $90 in changing 30 fixtures to CFLs would save $440 to $1,500 over the five-year life of the bulbs, depending on your cost of electricity. Look at your utility bill and imagine a 12 percent discount to estimate the savings.

I've heard that CFLs don't really last as long as they say. Turning a CFL on and off frequently shortens its life, which is why the government's Energy Star program says to leave them on for at least 15 minutes at a time. Also, if you have dimmable light fixtures, make sure to buy CFLs labeled "dimmable." All CFLs that carry the government's Energy Star label are required to carry a two-year limited warranty, so contact the manufacturer if your bulb burns out prematurely. The Energy Star website has a good FAQ on CFLs.

I don't think that I like the color of the light from CFLs. When they first hit the market, CFLs had a limited range of tones. Now, manufacturers offer a wider variety, but there is not an agreed-upon labeling standard. The Energy Star program is working to change that. But for now, look for lower "Kelvin temperatures" like 2,700 to 3,000 for "redder" light, closer to old-fashioned incandescent bulbs, while bulbs with Kelvin temperatures of 5,000 and 6,500 provide more "blue" and intense light. A good photograph illustrating the difference is shown here.

I've heard that CFLs have mercury in them--isn't that bad? Consumers are rightly concerned about the toxic substance mercury that helps CFLs produce light. Even though the amount sealed in each bulb is small--one old-fashioned thermometer had about 100 times as much mercury--contact local trash collection for disposal instructions. Environmentalists agree that more work must be done on bulb recycling programs. Right now, you can return any CFL to any Ikea store for recycling, and the Environmental Protection Agency and Earth911 have sites you can search for other recycling programs near your home.

But if you break a CFL, you'll have a toxic spill in your home. Maine's Department of Environmental Protection has developed the best advice on the procedures to follow if a CFL breaks. Don't use a vacuum. Maine officials studied the issue because of a homeowner in that state who received a $2,000 light bulb clean-up bill from an environmental hazards company--a story that has circulated around the country and increased consumer concerns about CFLs. It turns out that the company's advice was overkill, and a subsequent analysis showed no hazard in the home. But the bulbs must be handled with caution. Using a drop cloth might be a good new routine to develop when screwing in a light bulb, to make the clean-up of any breaks easier.

By the way, don't think that incandescent bulbs are mercury free. In the United States, the chances are at least 50 percent that their light is generated by a coal-powered plant featuring mercury as well as other types of pollution. Popular Mechanics recently crunched the numbers to find that even if the mercury in a CFL was directly released into the atmosphere, an incandescent would still contribute almost double that amount of mercury into the environment over its lifetime.

Isn't there efficient lighting without mercury? Yes. By 2012, the chances are good that consumers will have many more options to replace incandescent bulbs. Manufacturers already are deploying advanced incandescent bulbs that are efficient enough to stay on the market after 2012, although they are not yet as efficient as CFLs. Even more exciting are the developments with light-emitting diodes (LEDs), which are jazzing up holiday lighting. The European electronics firm Philips this year acquired several pioneering small technology companies and plans a big push to make LEDs practical for ordinary lighting purposes. The lights on the New Year's Eve Times Square Ball could one day brighten your home. LEDs last even longer than CFLs and will make bulb buying more like an appliance purchase than a throw-away item.

Is Thomas Edison turning over in his grave? Perhaps, but the incandescent bulb has had a good run, with the technology little changed since 1879, when Edison produced light with a carbonized thread from his wife's sewing box. The breakthrough that ushered civilization out of the candle era was so revolutionary that the light bulb itself became the culture's iconic image to illustrate any thought, brainstorm, or idea. But energy-efficient bulbs are a better idea, says Andrew deLaski, director of the Appliance Standards Awareness Project. "It's hugely important," he says. "A 60 to 70 percent reduction in light bulb energy use will save as much energy annually as that used by all the homes in Texas last year." That's a big savings.

This info was on Yahoo today

U.S.News & World Report

FAQ: The End of the Light Bulb as We Know It

Wednesday December 19, 11:01 am ET

By Marianne Lavelle

The incandescent light bulb, one of the most venerable inventions of its era but deemed too inefficient for our own, will be phased off the U.S. market beginning in 2012 under the new energy law just approved by Congress. Although this will reduce electricity costs and minimize new bulb purchases in every household in America, you may be feeling in the dark about the loss of your old, relatively reliable source of light. Here's a primer on the light bulb phase-out and what will mean to you:

Why are they taking my light bulbs away? Moving to more efficient lighting is one of the lowest-cost ways for the nation to reduce electricity use and greenhouse gases. In fact, it actually will save households money because of lower utility bills. Ninety percent of the energy that an incandescent light bulb burns is wasted as heat. And yet, sales of the most common high-efficiency bulb available--the compact fluorescent (CFL)--amount to only 5 percent of the light bulb market. Earlier this year, Australia became the first country to announce an outright ban by 2010 on incandescent bulbs. The changeover in the United States will be more gradual, not mandated to begin until 2012 and phased out through 2014. However, don't be surprised if some manufacturers phase out earlier.

How do I save money, when a CFL costs six times as much as an old-fashioned bulb? Each cone-shaped spiral CFL costs about $3, compared with 50 cents for a standard bulb. But a CFL uses about 75 percent less energy and lasts five years instead of a few months. A household that invested $90 in changing 30 fixtures to CFLs would save $440 to $1,500 over the five-year life of the bulbs, depending on your cost of electricity. Look at your utility bill and imagine a 12 percent discount to estimate the savings.

I've heard that CFLs don't really last as long as they say. Turning a CFL on and off frequently shortens its life, which is why the government's Energy Star program says to leave them on for at least 15 minutes at a time. Also, if you have dimmable light fixtures, make sure to buy CFLs labeled "dimmable." All CFLs that carry the government's Energy Star label are required to carry a two-year limited warranty, so contact the manufacturer if your bulb burns out prematurely. The Energy Star website has a good FAQ on CFLs.

I don't think that I like the color of the light from CFLs. When they first hit the market, CFLs had a limited range of tones. Now, manufacturers offer a wider variety, but there is not an agreed-upon labeling standard. The Energy Star program is working to change that. But for now, look for lower "Kelvin temperatures" like 2,700 to 3,000 for "redder" light, closer to old-fashioned incandescent bulbs, while bulbs with Kelvin temperatures of 5,000 and 6,500 provide more "blue" and intense light. A good photograph illustrating the difference is shown here.

I've heard that CFLs have mercury in them--isn't that bad? Consumers are rightly concerned about the toxic substance mercury that helps CFLs produce light. Even though the amount sealed in each bulb is small--one old-fashioned thermometer had about 100 times as much mercury--contact local trash collection for disposal instructions. Environmentalists agree that more work must be done on bulb recycling programs. Right now, you can return any CFL to any Ikea store for recycling, and the Environmental Protection Agency and Earth911 have sites you can search for other recycling programs near your home.

But if you break a CFL, you'll have a toxic spill in your home. Maine's Department of Environmental Protection has developed the best advice on the procedures to follow if a CFL breaks. Don't use a vacuum. Maine officials studied the issue because of a homeowner in that state who received a $2,000 light bulb clean-up bill from an environmental hazards company--a story that has circulated around the country and increased consumer concerns about CFLs. It turns out that the company's advice was overkill, and a subsequent analysis showed no hazard in the home. But the bulbs must be handled with caution. Using a drop cloth might be a good new routine to develop when screwing in a light bulb, to make the clean-up of any breaks easier.

By the way, don't think that incandescent bulbs are mercury free. In the United States, the chances are at least 50 percent that their light is generated by a coal-powered plant featuring mercury as well as other types of pollution. Popular Mechanics recently crunched the numbers to find that even if the mercury in a CFL was directly released into the atmosphere, an incandescent would still contribute almost double that amount of mercury into the environment over its lifetime.

Isn't there efficient lighting without mercury? Yes. By 2012, the chances are good that consumers will have many more options to replace incandescent bulbs. Manufacturers already are deploying advanced incandescent bulbs that are efficient enough to stay on the market after 2012, although they are not yet as efficient as CFLs. Even more exciting are the developments with light-emitting diodes (LEDs), which are jazzing up holiday lighting. The European electronics firm Philips this year acquired several pioneering small technology companies and plans a big push to make LEDs practical for ordinary lighting purposes. The lights on the New Year's Eve Times Square Ball could one day brighten your home. LEDs last even longer than CFLs and will make bulb buying more like an appliance purchase than a throw-away item.

Is Thomas Edison turning over in his grave? Perhaps, but the incandescent bulb has had a good run, with the technology little changed since 1879, when Edison produced light with a carbonized thread from his wife's sewing box. The breakthrough that ushered civilization out of the candle era was so revolutionary that the light bulb itself became the culture's iconic image to illustrate any thought, brainstorm, or idea. But energy-efficient bulbs are a better idea, says Andrew deLaski, director of the Appliance Standards Awareness Project. "It's hugely important," he says. "A 60 to 70 percent reduction in light bulb energy use will save as much energy annually as that used by all the homes in Texas last year." That's a big savings.

Break a bulb and end up with a toxic spill in your home..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I smell a capitalist opportunity somewhere in this mess.

Edit: Incandescent bulbs give off yellow light, not red.

Archived