CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk-Mounted CD Player Maintenance

MAC

I have an ACDelco trunk-mounted 6-CD player. My CDs play with a lot of distortion. The problem is not the CDs because I was able to play the same CD on my computer without any distortion. The CD is not a copy. Has anyone else experienced CD distortion? Assuming the CD lens is dirty any suggestion as to what to do and which cleaner to buy?

By distortion do you mean that the CD is skipping, or that you hear worse sound quality than you expect?

CD's are a digital media, so if the reader can read the CD then you should not get any distortion; it should either read and play, or not read and err.

I would guess that there is something in the head to speaker relationship/wiring or in the speakers that needs fixing.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

By distortion do you mean that the CD is skipping, or that you hear worse sound quality than you expect?

CD's are a digital media, so if the reader can read the CD then you should not get any distortion; it should either read and play, or not read and err.

I would guess that there is something in the head to speaker relationship/wiring or in the speakers that needs fixing.

I mean CDs are blurry like the volume is too high. It's interesting because I made a copy of Sade's Greatest Hits CD for my car and it plays pretty clear (not perfect) accept for a few couple of songs. But the new Eagles CDs sound terrible and they're the originals. I played one of the Eagles CDs on my work computer and it sounds good. From what I understand the lens of the player should be clean because dirt/dust can cause distortion.

I mean CDs are blurry like the volume is too high. It's interesting because I made a copy of Sade's Greatest Hits CD for my car and it plays pretty clear (not perfect) accept for a few couple of songs. But the new Eagles CDs sound terrible and they're the originals. I played one of the Eagles CDs on my work computer and it sounds good. From what I understand the lens of the player should be clean because dirt/dust can cause distortion.

Mac,

Is there any way you can see the lens? Over time it may have got covered in the kind of film you get on the inside of your windows.

If you can see it... get a Q-Tip "VERY SLIGHTLY DAMP" with alcohol and gently clean the lens. Of coures be careful and don't go POKING it. :D Just gently rub the lens while turning the Q-Tip. You may be surprised at the discoloration of the Q-Tip.

Posted Image

Windex will clean the lens very easily.

I'd recommend not using solvents on the plastic lens. Stick with a mild detergent.

If you use a cleaning disk, discard it after use. If the fabric comes off the disk it will eat your CD reader alive.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

If you still have the problem, I have a place you can sent it to to have it reconditioned, they do reconditioning for GM, Ford dealers. I had my CD player in a 94 Explorer reconditioned and it worked beautiful

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I bought a CD player cleaning disk and it helped somewhat to make sound better but there's still distortion. I have a new/unused Sony 10-disk player that I bought years ago sitting in my closet--I think it's time to install it. The radio works fine without distortion, so the problem lies with the CD player or connection.

Archived