CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My friend is looking for an Escalade

PAUL T

I have a friend who is looking for a good used 2007 or 2006 Escalade. Does anyone here have any experience with one? Pros or Cons? What to look out for? Etc.

My friend leases a 2007, when I saw him he stated the following 1) sucks gas, 2) renewing the On Star is expensive and 3) the seats don't fold down you must remove them, he has a bad shoulder so its hard. He stated that after owning it for 6 months and after paying $749 per month for a lease payment. His next car? an AMG Mercedes

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

buying the Escalade for want or show? If he wants it tell him to buy it...nobody controls his purse strings except him. If he's smart and cost conscious he'll look at the 05-06 models...buying an 07 (despite the current depreciation) will still be like throwing his money away. If he wants the Escalade for show, then I'm sorry nobody can tell him what to get because he's dead set on getting an 07....once he drives around for 6-9months in it he'll probably reevaluate the situation and feel the same off as he did wanting the vehicle. I have a buddy that bought an '07 G6 convertible for show...he was trying to trade it in after 4 months to get out from the money he was loosing every day (inflated insurance, nasty car payment, vehicle value depreciation). To get a car because you believe you've earned it (and can afford it) is much different that getting a car to look good in...but ultimatley he is the boss

-Tony

buying the Escalade for want or show? If he wants it tell him to buy it...nobody controls his purse strings except him. If he's smart and cost conscious he'll look at the 05-06 models...buying an 07 (despite the current depreciation) will still be like throwing his money away. If he wants the Escalade for show, then I'm sorry nobody can tell him what to get because he's dead set on getting an 07....once he drives around for 6-9months in it he'll probably reevaluate the situation and feel the same off as he did wanting the vehicle. I have a buddy that bought an '07 G6 convertible for show...he was trying to trade it in after 4 months to get out from the money he was loosing every day (inflated insurance, nasty car payment, vehicle value depreciation). To get a car because you believe you've earned it (and can afford it) is much different that getting a car to look good in...but ultimatley he is the boss

-Tony

CLARIFICATION- check with your friend on what his reasons are in wanting to buy it...depending on how much $ he's looking to spend is a big decision to make. Also, get your buddy on the forum...make him do the homework :P that's actually one of the funnest ways to buy a car... beleive it or not I surfed this forum for 3 days prior to buying my caddy, and I'm pretty darn sure an '07 Escalade cost ALOT more than my '97 Eldorado LOL

-Tony

He is thinking of trading his 2000 Deville and his 2006 chevy truck in on the Escalade. I do not know what his price cap is but he really wants one. He has been told that it will get 18 highway and 12 in the city. I told him he is probably looking at 10 mpg average. He really won't get much for his Deville due high miles and an oil and antifreeze leak. I think he is going thru mid life crises. I give him 6 months before he regrets buying one.

He probably will regret it later (who in the world would consider such a purchase given current and known future gasoline prices?).

The '07+ models DO get much better mileage, at least according to the EPA estimates. I've personally always BEATEN the EPA estimates with my vehicles, so depending on how and where he drives, he may just see mid-teens average.

Nobody will probably convince him that getting a new Escalade is the wrong thing to do, but if it really wants a new Cadillac, the '08 CTS is mighty nice. Or even a 2006+ DTS. Either will be "nicer" than his DeVille and his truck.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

He is thinking of trading his 2000 Deville and his 2006 chevy truck in on the Escalade. I do not know what his price cap is but he really wants one. He has been told that it will get 18 highway and 12 in the city. I told him he is probably looking at 10 mpg average. He really won't get much for his Deville due high miles and an oil and antifreeze leak. I think he is going thru mid life crises. I give him 6 months before he regrets buying one.

you said it bro...he's set on buying one. I think you're right but hey man it boils down to his dime....as long as he doesn't come to you asking for money or as a cosigner, let him do what he's gonna do. He has decent vehicles (in Colorado terms a winter car and a summer car)...

I just talked to him and he said when he looks at it logically he talks himself out of it. But, I can tell he really wants one. His wife wants another car so my money is on him buying another Deville. I told him to hit a deer with his truck then have the body shop put an Escalade front clip on it. Cheaper insurance and less depreciation. He would really look good in it too. A local bodyshop did just that with a 2005 chevy truck they even put the big Caddy emblem on the tailgate, and man did it look good.

A local soldier squeezed an Escalade front grille/lights onto an S-10 Blazer. It looks ridiculous, but only because the headlights are WAY oversized for that chassis. I've seen Cadillac Escalade front clip installs on full-size Chevy trucks and they do look good. Likewise Navigator front clip installs on Expeditions and the like.

I have a friend who is looking for a good used 2007 or 2006 Escalade. Does anyone here have any experience with one? Pros or Cons? What to look out for? Etc.

Paul,

My son has a 2007 GMC Denali 4 door pickup. Same engine and drivetrain as the 2007 Escalade. (I think) 6.2 liter... 403HP.

In stop and go driving in Dallas TX, he gets around 12/13 mpg. Mostly freeway driving 17/18. Highway driving at a steady 75mph.... around 21.... SOMETIMES almost 22. That is driving with a light foot, which he says is REALLY hard to do with that much power on tap. :rolleyes:

This data is "AFTER" tuning with a handheld Preditor tuner. It was about 2mpg less across the board before the tuning.

Posted Image

A friend of mine is getting around 15 in a mix of city/hwy driving.... like 30% city, 70% highway...

I too would love to buy an Escalade, but I'm thinking more of an 04....

You know, I love the Envoy I bought, but it's just not the same as a full size SUV....

He probably will regret it later (who in the world would consider such a purchase given current and known future gasoline prices?).

Granted you have a point JasonA, I think someone who can afford an 07 Escalade with no issues (or budgeting concerns) doesn't care about gas prices. Same thing with those big-boy Hummers...I think the last thing in their mind when they bought that Hummer was "what's the cost of gas gonna set me back?" I think those people are more annoyed that they have to stand their longer pumping gas into those monster fuel tanks than they are about the price of fuel! But really if you think about it, those vehicles serve no purpose whatsoever [i'm sorry :( but I'm including the Escalade]...the most off-roading those vehicles see is the bump when they back out of the driveway...but again just my opinion....the same argument can be made for our Cadillacs as apposed to Toyotas and Hondas.

Acting rational, I factored in fuel cost in my decision-making process when I bought my car...if it would have been remotely an issue, I wouldn't have bought the car...but that's not to say that people will always act rational and make informed-decisions (when I bought my car gas was $3 a gallon....add on the premium surcharge and the mediocre MPG).

Just my opinion though...

With all due respect to apache.... I do use an SUV.

Now, I don't go off-roading... but, I need to carry tools and parts to various places... and I need to do it 12 months a year, up here in the snow belt. That means a 4-wheel drive. For some reason my boss wants me to show up, even when it's snowing...

I can't have everything being stolen, so that means an SUV, that I can lock up.

And sometimes I need to drive with people with me.... again, that means a SUV....

Okay, so I don't go off-roading... but all my other stuff requires an SUV type of truck.

No offense.... I'm just saying, people's needs vary, and they may well need a Yukon Denali/Escalade type of truck....

When you say "serve no purpose whatsoever", be careful....

With all due respect to apache.... I do use an SUV.

Now, I don't go off-roading... but, I need to carry tools and parts to various places... and I need to do it 12 months a year, up here in the snow belt. That means a 4-wheel drive. For some reason my boss wants me to show up, even when it's snowing...

I can't have everything being stolen, so that means an SUV, that I can lock up.

And sometimes I need to drive with people with me.... again, that means a SUV....

Okay, so I don't go off-roading... but all my other stuff requires an SUV type of truck.

No offense.... I'm just saying, people's needs vary, and they may well need a Yukon Denali/Escalade type of truck....

When you say "serve no purpose whatsoever", be careful....

defiantley I agree with you...you have a purpose for an SUV (and an SUV is usefull during the winter here in CO)... but like my mother for example has no need for her SUV...just herself driving to work everyday. For quite a few people, there is absolutley no need for an SUV (especially a Hummer)....and for myself there is no need for a full-sized gas guzzelor like my Eldorado...but again just my opinion (because I contradict myself by driving a full-sized gas guzzeler).

SUV is a bad name for them, these cars are not really intended to go off road. They are convenient grocery, kid, dog, home depot haulers and as much as I hate to say it I miss my 94 Ford Rollover Explorer. Has anyone tried moving with a 96 Deville? The SUV is very convient for hauling stuff, and its probably a good second vehicle, to drive it everyday unless you have to is a waste, sort of like having a 747 instead of a Piper Cub.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

With the possible exception of winter traction, a van/minivan performs all duties of an SUV, usually better than an SUV, and is safer and more efficient as well. All minivans are FWD, and with snow tires, FWD is very hard to beat. Minivans used to be readily available with AWD, but sadly, don't seem to be any longer.

We briefly looked at a Tahoe before we bought our first minivan and decided that the minivan has: more room, better handling, much more accessible cargo area, more seating capacity, better fuel economy, etc. What it doesn't have: macho man attitude. Okay, easy choice. We're now on our second minivan and wouldn't be without one.

Where a Tahoe has it over a minivan is ground clearance. This may be an issue depending on where you live and how you drive. In general, this is not an issue, but this country in general prefers the cosmetic appearance of an SUV (with an economy and usability hit) vs. a minivan. I guess I'm not complaining -- it makes vans cheaper for those of us who have "discovered" them... It can't be denied that MOST SUV buyers do so out of vanity. They wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan. There are a FEW SUV buyers who use them as such (for example towing 10,000 lb. trailers), but IN GENERAL, SUVs are extremely overkill for how they're typically used.

speaking on mini vans, I kinda like the Chysler Crossovers (I think it's called that)....you have the saftey ov a mini van with the features of a SUV. I wonder how that vehicle will continue to do in the future market

Chrysler's entry in the crossover market is the Pacifica. I really like the new GM Lambda vehicles (GMC Acadia/Saturn Outlook). We ultimately decided on a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country based on the excellent experience we had with our previous Dodge Grand Caravan. The sliding doors cannot be beat as far as usability, especially in parking lots, and the Stow 'N Go means a flat load floor in literally SECONDS. No seats to lug out, remove, etc. And they drive SO much better than the wandry and loose Tahoe we test-drove. I think the steering feel/vagueness is one of GM's biggest problems with their previous generation SUV/pickup. We have an '01 Silverado at work and you can turn the steering wheel about 45* in either direction with VERY minimal change in direction. It's not a very agile vehicle at all. It scares me to see these folks piloting these beasts down the interstate at 90+ MPH with one arm slung over the wheel and a cell phone in their ear.

We chose a minivan because it drives a LOT better, is much more agile, and we get about 18-19 city and 25-29 highway. Hard to beat that. But like I said, there are specific applications where a large SUV is most appropriate. That said, most SUVs are NOT used in those situations. Oh well...

Chrysler's entry in the crossover market is the Pacifica. I really like the new GM Lambda vehicles (GMC Acadia/Saturn Outlook). We ultimately decided on a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country based on the excellent experience we had with our previous Dodge Grand Caravan. The sliding doors cannot be beat as far as usability, especially in parking lots, and the Stow 'N Go means a flat load floor in literally SECONDS. No seats to lug out, remove, etc. And they drive SO much better than the wandry and loose Tahoe we test-drove. I think the steering feel/vagueness is one of GM's biggest problems with their previous generation SUV/pickup. We have an '01 Silverado at work and you can turn the steering wheel about 45* in either direction with VERY minimal change in direction. It's not a very agile vehicle at all. It scares me to see these folks piloting these beasts down the interstate at 90+ MPH with one arm slung over the wheel and a cell phone in their ear.

We chose a minivan because it drives a LOT better, is much more agile, and we get about 18-19 city and 25-29 highway. Hard to beat that. But like I said, there are specific applications where a large SUV is most appropriate. That said, most SUVs are NOT used in those situations. Oh well...

Yeah Chrysler Pacifica is what I meant....Sorry Chrysler fans LOL...infact I don't think I can even name some of the new stuff GM Chrysler and Ford have in the market...lol

Archived