CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What is function of slide-outs in sun-visor?

jcobz28

Ok, now I feel stupid. Kind of obvious. Just never seen anything quite like it before! I had odd thoughts going through my head, like, maybe it is a place to write and bear on or something like that. You know how limo drivers keep notes up on their visors... a nice hard place for them to write. But then, this is not a limo. :P

96 SLS - What is the function of those slide-out plastic tray things in the sun visors?

The activity of the Sun varies, as you know with a period equal to eleven years. It shrinks or swells depending on the activity level. The GM engineers included slide-outs so that no matter how much the Sun swells you could protect yourself and your passenger from harmful UV. :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The activity of the Sun varies, as you know with a period equal to eleven years. It shrinks or swells depending on the activity level. The GM engineers included slide-outs so that no matter how much the Sun swells you could protect yourself and your passenger from harmful UV.

This sounds like one of my wife's explanations. She still swears that the earth tilts because it's heavier on on one side! Personally, if that were true, I'd say the heavier side would be California, but thats just me.

ANYWAY, If you've ever driven down a road where the sun is coming in strong from your left, you will probably notice that, due to your seat position, the sunvisor is not where you need it to be. You soon realize the the visor can be unclipped and swung left! You swing the sunvisor to the left (tricky maneuver, pay attention to the road) and quickly find out that it is not long enough to block the sun from your eyes! Then you realize that it can be EXTENDED! You sit there, after extending the visor, comfortably shielded from the distracting rays of the sun, in absolute AWE of the vision and forethought of those wonderful GM engineers!!!

And THAT is why they exist.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

The activity of the Sun varies, as you know with a period equal to eleven years. It shrinks or swells depending on the activity level. The GM engineers included slide-outs so that no matter how much the Sun swells you could protect yourself and your passenger from harmful UV.

This sounds like one of my wife's explanations. She still swears that the earth tilts because it's heavier on on one side! Personally, if that were true, I'd say the heavier side would be California, but thats just me.

ANYWAY, If you've ever driven down a road where the sun is coming in strong from your left, you will probably notice that, due to your seat position, the sunvisor is not where you need it to be. You soon realize the the visor can be unclipped and swung left! You swing the sunvisor to the left (tricky maneuver, pay attention to the road) and quickly find out that it is not long enough to block the sun from your eyes! Then you realize that it can be EXTENDED! You sit there, after extending the visor, comfortably shielded from the distracting rays of the sun, in absolute AWE of the vision and forethought of those wonderful GM engineers!!!

:lol: hopefully your wife did not read my reply. I was kidding and hope everybody realized that. Kudos to GM engineers!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

. . . . I was kidding and hope everybody realized that. Kudos to GM engineers!

But you weren't kidding about the UV protection part. Right???? :lol: :lol: :P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

And after you have moved the large visor you will notice a smaller visor to shield the sun when the road curves toward the sun and you dont want to knock your sunglasses off swinging the large visor, in it's extended position, back to the forward facing position. It's almost like someone at GM cares.

The slide out sun visor is not a new idea. MY 1955 Cadillac sedan had visors that would swing out, and then you could pull them out another 6 or 7 inches to block the sun.

Archived