CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Another E-Bay score, flywheel lock tool

To lock the flywheel when removing and installing the harmonic balancer. (crank pully) To torque it you need to hold the crank in place.

Sure beats the h*ll outta the 130 bucks I paid for mine from Kent-Moore...

$130! :o I'd make one first. Looks pretty easy.

I did exactly that after getting a $130 price quote from Kent Moore.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I did exactly that after getting a $130 price quote from Kent Moore.

Kevin, can you post a pic of the tool you made?

I should be able to post it this evening. I didn't have time last night. I basically used the drawing in the service manual to fabricate the tool - it looks similar to the Kent-Moore tool.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Here is a picture of the tool I made. I used a sheet of paper against the flywheel and used a crayon to transfer the tooth pattern to the paper, then used the paper as a template to mark the tooth pattern on the steel. I fabricated the piece with the slots, bolted it up and then helf the toothed piece against the flywheen to mark the toothed piece. Then unbolted the plate and welded the pieces together. The material is 1/8" flat stock.

After I had it all done, I found one of those pattern transfer tools in one of my tool boxes.... that would have saved me some time getting the tooth pattern marked.

post-45-1184154723_thumb.jpg

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

After I had it all done, I found one of those pattern transfer tools in one of my tool boxes.... that would have saved me some time getting the tooth pattern marked

Lol it's great to have exactly the right tool you need in the toolbox; priceless to be able to find it when you need it.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Here is a picture of the tool I made. I used a sheet of paper against the flywheel and used a crayon to transfer the tooth pattern to the paper, then used the paper as a template to mark the tooth pattern on the steel. I fabricated the piece with the slots, bolted it up and then helf the toothed piece against the flywheen to mark the toothed piece. Then unbolted the plate and welded the pieces together. The material is 1/8" flat stock.

After I had it all done, I found one of those pattern transfer tools in one of my tool boxes.... that would have saved me some time getting the tooth pattern marked.

Very Impressive Kevin! You know how to weld, I should have learned, I turned down a welding class when I worked in the shipyard...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Very Impressive Kevin! You know how to weld, I should have learned, I turned down a welding class when I worked in the shipyard...

Just curious Mike, why did you turn down the class?

Just curious Mike, why did you turn down the class?

I was 22 and stupid? :lol: I enjoyed working on pumps, cranes and machinery at the time, I was in the Mechanical Maintenance department. It was a summer job. My Dad was pushing for me to take the class and got me into it as they made great money in the shipyard (Sunshipbuilding and Drydock, we built the Howard Hughes Glomar Explorer when I was there that picked up the sunken Russian sub). I didn't consider that some day welding would be a useful skill..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

After I had it all done, I found one of those pattern transfer tools in one of my tool boxes.... that would have saved me some time getting the tooth pattern marked

Lol it's great to have exactly the right tool you need in the toolbox; priceless to be able to find it when you need it.

Yeah - I looked all over for that pattern transfer tool because I knew I had one.... I stumbled across it a day or two after I used the crayon/paper method. :lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have a Millermatic 175 amp 240V wire feed welder. It is one of the most useful tools I have purchased and really comes in handy. Wire welding is very easy compared to stick welding.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If we only knew then what we know now.

Can I have an AMEN brother.

It's not as hard as you think Mike. I have gas & Mig and taught myself with some reading. Admittedly, I am not as good as I'd like to be or as good as I would be if I took a class. Most of my welds are more functional than pretty and a REAL welder would balk at them much like aq real machinist would laugh at my tool work. I was going to take a class at the County College but timing was never right with my hours. Good excuse to buy yourself another toy .................. I mean tool. :D

I also scored a flywheel lock tool for the new (06 & up) STS-V 4.4 SC,

Kent Moore # EN-48018.

I don't have one (STS-V) but for $13 including shipping I couldn't pass it up.

a7e1_1.JPG

Archived