CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

my next sts

bjbinsjo

my '92 has 320,000 miles on it, a 100,00 of those being on a new engine.

still haven't seen many cars that i like as much, and i would like my next sts to have the northstar. is there a minimum year i should think about? like buy at least a '97 or whatever year it happens to be.

i have to tell you that i like the older style like mine best.

thanks,

bruce

if you go here http://www.caddyinfo.com/sevilleyearbyyear.htm it tells you changes from year to year. If you stick with the old body style than 97 is the last year with it. All the info you need is there, I would def go with 96 and up to benefit from the better interior.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

I was thinking the same thing about 96 and up - gets you the improved interior/dash/wheel mounted radio controls, memory seats.

The next big noteworthy change in my mind is in 2000 when they went to the lower compression ratio on the Northstar and you could then use regular fuel. That extra 15 cents a gallon adds up with Premium especially now that gas prices are so high.

The next big noteworthy change in my mind is in 2000 when they went to the lower compression ratio on the Northstar and you could then use regular fuel.

You can use regular fuel in the pre-2000 engines. Premium is recommended for max performance. I and many others on this board use regular with little if any noticable difference, except in the gas bill. Don't let that be a deciding factor.

maddog,

I switched to regular after reading Guru's advice on this board. The knock sensors will detect any spark knock before you hear it and retard the spark accordingly. If you are planning on racing and want the optimum performance, use premium. I personally have noticed no difference even at WOT though I am sure if it where measured there would be some. My fuel mileage actually seemed to improve slightly (.05-.08) Give it a shot. At todays prices you probably won't be sorry.

I have never used anything but regular in my 94 sts and have never had a problem. My Dad has a 95 sts, been a mechanic for 35yrs, never puts premium in the N* engine. Of course, if you have the money why not, but it doesnt make any super significant difference worth 25c a gal. That's how I feel about it, I couldnt imagine putting premium in these cars, I'm a college student of course , and I barely get 14 mpg around town. Premium would really hurt to watch on the counter at the gas station. haha.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

You can run regular in the 4.9 but it may knock as it does not have a knock sensor. If it knocks, you'd need to retard the timing a few degrees.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I had a 91 sedan deville with the 4.9 and ran regular it in all the time. You can look at the pic of it if you want on my website, My sister has it now, but i took the DTS wheels and put them on my STS.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

In my 94 Concours I used regular gasoline and I noticed a drop of about 3 mpg. I usually get 19 MPG, I also noticed a slight lack of power.

Cpetro45 try premium and see if your gas mileage goes up. Around where I live premium is only $.10 difference in price. I get roughly 54 more miles per tank on premium than regular. Thats more miles per $1 of gas. Save money and buy premium. Do the math.

Does this only apply to the N* engines? Or Can I run regular in my 4.9 ?

Thanks!

-Eric

I ran midgrade (89) in my '92 4.9 and it seemed to run just fine. I never noticed any knock. Never tried regular.

I ran midgrade (89) in my '92 4.9 and it seemed to run just fine. I never noticed any knock. Never tried regular.

same story... used to use only premium for my 4.9 but tried 89 some 7 months ago and have been using only 89 since. did not notice any changes neither in economy nor in power/performance. never tried regular.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I would go for a 2000 or newer. There were a lot of engine improvements in the 2000 model. Roller rockers, reduce engine friction, allows 5W30 oil and longer interval between oil changes. The oil life monitor can allow 10,000 miles between oil changes. Earlier engines were 7500 max.

post-3-1081995548.jpg

Archived