CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sporty vs Luxurious

Say that as rumored, Cadillac moves the CTS upmarket over the coming years, and adds a smaller performance car below the CTS.

Further, that for 2011 the STS and DTS sort of merge into a RWD similar in size or larger than the current DTS. The ULtraV8 finally appears, and all models are available as hybrids.

Would you prefer to have a smaller, higher-performance sports sedan or the large, luxury with performance model?

On the one hand, I would like to have a car that corners even better than my CTS, but on the other hand anything smaller and there is not really room to take 4 adults out to a nice dinner.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Say that as rumored, Cadillac moves the CTS upmarket over the coming years, and adds a smaller performance car below the CTS.

Further, that for 2011 the STS and DTS sort of merge into a RWD similar in size or larger than the current DTS. The ULtraV8 finally appears, and all models are available as hybrids.

Would you prefer to have a smaller, higher-performance sports sedan or the large, luxury with performance model?

On the one hand, I would like to have a car that corners even better than my CTS, but on the other hand anything smaller and there is not really room to take 4 adults out to a nice dinner.

I think the CTS has grown on me. I like the size of my '92 Seville, so if they could make the CTS a bit larger and lower looking it would be great. If I had the $$$ to buy a new car I would buy a CTS. Smaller, I don't think I would like in a Cadillac. I drove a DTS and didn't like it, the ride is too cloud-like, I prefer performance, I guess. So give me a CTS or CTS type car with performance and I'd be happy. Confusing huh? :lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Not too confusing really. The 92 STS and the CTS both weigh around 3,700 lbs, which is heavy for a sporty car. The STS and DTS are both over 4K lbs. The CTS handles as well as my last Porsche did (different era's), but a smaller, lighter car with similar HP would certainly be more spritely. I don't mean at all to complain about the CTS' performance. It has been a good, fun car for me. But even if Cadillac comes along with a smaller, sportier, less expensive sedan I suspect the CTS size will be my minimum 4-seater for now. On the other hand, if I could manage a used XLR that would be fun.

Bruce

Remember, I went into the Chevrolet-Cadillac dealer to buy a Corvette...

I must have handling in a car. I prefer a sports car, and am looking at 18" wheels for my next set of tires. I'm not at all interested in the luxury cruisers. If I were to buy a car right now, it would be a CTS with direct injection V6.

To answer your question, if the CTS becomes bigger and heavier, I would hope that there would be something smaller, but less expensive than the XLR.

I think it's a given that anything big enough to carry 4 or more people in comfort is going to have a hard time being a sports car. Nothing is impossible in this world but the issues of center of gravity, moments of inertia, weight transfer, etc. with the requirement to provide a spacious cabin for 4 translates to exotic chassis and suspension concepts. That's a lot of money where it can be felt behind the wheel but its not directly visible in the showroom.

Of course, today's CTS or even STS would out-handle the sports cars of the 50's that defined the concept.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I would love to read a detailed road test report with skid pad number and slalom that show the difference between say a base CTS suspension, a CTS Sport, and a CTS-V. Per some reports I have seen the CTS-V can pull .9gs on a 300ft skidpad, which is smoking. The base CTS at around 0.84g is sporty these days, although that was excellent in 1984 for a sports car; yes, the era matters a ton, as sporty cars these days out run, out corner sports cars of yesterday, and sports cars today are faster than race cars of yesterday.

Bruce

I like a big roomy full sized car with good performance and handling. The present Deville/DTS fills the bill as far as I'm concerned.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I prefer a coupe (between a fullsize luxo cruiser and a sports car), which is why I bought my Eldorado. Sadly, there are few coupe offerings in the market these days. I do, however, like Corvettes and XLRs and would own an XLR in an instant if I had the loot.

Archived