CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Might Part With Eldorado

MAC

I'm contemplating getting another Cadillac or fixing my Eldorado. I figure it's perhaps time to say good by. I need to replace:

1) transaxle;

2) A/C not working (maybe need a new compressor);

3) Front Suspension (not sure what exactly is the problem but hear popping);

4) Antenna not working;

5) Leather is worn out a bit on driver's side and passenger side has cracks;

6) Oil pan gasket needs to be replaced (would replace along with transaxle); and

7) 227,000 miles

I figure with all the things that need to be fixed it will likely cost at least $3,000 and maybe more. With about 227,000 miles on the engine (which still runs great) I'm not sure if I want to spend at minimum about $2,500 to replace the trans and then move on to the other repairs or simply look for another Eldorado?

Any input would be appreciated.

Hi Mac,

I can certainly feel where you're coming from and the dilemma you now face. We both have the same model year and mileage. I've been keeping tabs on you from the corners of my eyes. Saying to myself "Mac better not pass me in mileage".... LOL. I then feel compelled to go for a drive for some strange reason. All kidding aside, honestly, I'm nearing that threshold myself and know that I'm on borrowed time. Fortunately everything still works on my STS except for the antenna, which I've long since replaced with an inside glass mounted one. In regards to your situation I would be looking for a newer caddy. I would have to think about that for a couple days but always knowing what the correct answer is. With over 13 years on her a lot of expensive things are bound to need replacing or fixing. All this you already know though. If you're like any serious car owner then you're emotionally attached to your car. And your Eldo didn't get 227K miles on her without a great deal of TLC. But the objective observer would probably tell you "Mac... it's time...". I've already been shopping around for my next vehicle, just incase. Good luck with your decision.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I know what you mean MAC, I have poured a lot of money into my car over the last couple of years, but I only have 96K miles. If you hold on, Warren is mulling over selling his Eldo, its a beauty, if that is the direction you are thinking of going. You guys are near each other also, as Warren is on Long Island. You might want to contact him to see what his plans are.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I was wondering what Regis would say. I'm figuring on getting another 100,000 or so out of mine, which comes to 220,000 miles or so, and you guys really define that level. Are both of you in areas where it snows every year? If Regis sees 230,000 miles as a reasonable limit, that really needs to be taken seriously.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I was wondering what Regis would say. I'm figuring on getting another 100,000 or so out of mine, which comes to 220,000 miles or so, and you guys really define that level. Are both of you in areas where it snows every year? If Regis sees 230,000 miles as a reasonable limit, that really needs to be taken seriously.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I get the point Jim :lol: Mac, the transaxle would have me looking for a new or newer one. I'm at about 260,000 and if anything major goes I'll be looking to. My only problems are no trunk pull down and the p741.

Good Luck, Joe

Hi Mac,

I can certainly feel where you're coming from and the dilemma you now face. We both have the same model year and mileage. I've been keeping tabs on you from the corners of my eyes. Saying to myself "Mac better not pass me in mileage".... LOL. I then feel compelled to go for a drive for some strange reason. All kidding aside, honestly, I'm nearing that threshold myself and know that I'm on borrowed time. Fortunately everything still works on my STS except for the antenna, which I've long since replaced with an inside glass mounted one. In regards to your situation I would be looking for a newer caddy. I would have to think about that for a couple days but always knowing what the correct answer is. With over 13 years on her a lot of expensive things are bound to need replacing or fixing. All this you already know though. If you're like any serious car owner then you're emotionally attached to your car. And your Eldo didn't get 227K miles on her without a great deal of TLC. But the objective observer would probably tell you "Mac... it's time...". I've already been shopping around for my next vehicle, just incase. Good luck with your decision.

What's sad is that I don't want to simply send my Eldorado off to the junk yard. I realize that it's unlikely anyone would buy a car with 227K miles and in need of a trans. But the engine runs fantastic and I wouldn't be suprised if it goes another 100K or more. I'm currently looking for an Eldorado with under 100K miles.

Thanks for all your input.

Mac, I understand, I feel the same way. I had the tranny replaced with a used unit at about 140k by a GOOD recycler in town and it ran around 900-1000 installed you may want to check it out as a option

Joe

Mac, I understand, I feel the same way. I had the tranny replaced with a used unit at about 140k by a GOOD recycler in town and it ran around 900-1000 installed you may want to check it out as a option

Joe

I think your suggestion is the best option in my situation. Your salvage trans is still going after 80K miles. Given the high mileage on my Eldorado, buying a remanufactured trans is probably more than necessary. I would need to find a trans with no more than 70-80K miles for it to be worth taking a chance. But I have to make a quick decision since I have my eye on a car which isn't going to be around for much longer. One thing for sure, if I get rid of my Eldo the chromed wheels I bought on ebay for $600 are coming with me. ;):rolleyes:

I'm currently looking for an Eldorado with under 100K miles.

I posted a 2001 ETC a couple of weeks ago in the "For Sale" section. Diamond White, 85,000 mi., new interior style (like an STS w/perf leather) EXCELLENT condition. I think you can get it for $15,000, if it's still there.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived