CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help - No Start

Brad

Hello all -

My Deville Concours decided not to start for me this morning. Got in to go to work, turned the key and nothing. Tried several more times - nothing. Got out and jiggled battery cables, checked for loose connections, etc...then got back in and got a little click, click, click action, but still no start. However, I noticed that when I turned the key my trunk would pop open as well as the gas lid. Radio kicked on as well. Strange.

Decided to pull battery and test it on the charger. Seemed to be half down so I let it charge for a bit. After several hours it was back to normal. Re-installed and still no start, just click, click, click. Still had the odd occurances of the trunk and gas lid popping open - almost like a current surge just popped everything. Also noticed that my fog lights didn't work anymore. Battery is an AC-Delco 7-year battery I got from the dealer approx. 3-4 years ago.

Decided to use my other car to jumpstart the Deville. That worked. Let it run for a while then cut it off and tried to start. Back to click, click, click land as well as popping.

Decided to pull codes (duh). Got B1327 current and B1983 current. Read about them in the service manual, but can't really translate that into anything actionable.

Anyone have any ideas? Could it be that my battery is not 100% and is wreaking havoc? Gremlins?

I appreciate any feedback you all may have.

Many thanks in advance,

Brad

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

I had an 89 deville that would do the same thing, battery was fine it was my starter.

B1327-Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 volts

B1983-Device Power Circuit Low

I don't know about the codes, but I might check your starter. When ever I need to go somewhere I would have to be jumped, the extra power helped the starter I guess. However the caddy I had at the time was 10yrs older then yours. Hope this helps some

-Joey

The codes tell me that the battery voltage is being pulled below 9 Volts when you turn the key. That, and the strange things you see, like the trunk lid popping and the radio glitch, all look like a dead cell in the battery. If it's OK when another battery is jumpered in but not OK when the jumpers are pulled, it's either the battery or the cables.

The first thing I would do is check the battery cable connectors, particularly the positive cable, which has three cables clamped together in some cases. Dirt and corrosion can get between the cables inside the plastic cover and must be cleaned out. The next thing I would do is check the battery ground cable connections at the engine and frame. If you can pull the battery and take it in another car to get it checked, I would do that. I think you will come home with another battery.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks for all of the responses. I will be headed out shortly to get a new battery and try it out. I'm hopeful after reading the responses and the manual that the new one will do the trick. I'll post back soon with the results.

Thanks again,

Brad

Brad

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Sounds like a shorted battery. I'd get a new battery, & I'm sure you'll be good to go.

I agree with that. The other day my neighbor came over, his car would not start, it just clicked. He is a novice and said he thought it was the starter, I said this is a 2002 Nissan, not likely. He said, I measured the battery voltage and it shows 12 volts :lol: I said, do the headlights work, he said yes, I said turn them on and turn the key, he did, and they blacked out immediately. I swapped in a good battery and it started immediately. He took the battery to Sears and it failed the load test.

I recently read that the batteries in Japanese cars bearly outlast the new car warranty, his battery certainly looked like a cheapo and might have been swelled up (or deformed)...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Sure sounds like that battery just gave up the ghost. Years ago you could hear it turning over more slowly so you new it was time to start looking for a new battery. No longer. It seems like they now get every last crank out of them with no warning. Starts fine today and D.O.A tomorrow.

Yep - battery was indeed the problem. Pulled out the old and swapped in a new AC Delco 7-yr professional battery. Started right up.

The interesting thing for me is that this car is 8 years old and this is the 4th battery I've put in it. Seems strange to me, but I'm thinking that with all the electronics on these cars, the batteries just aren't lasting as long. I made out just fine with the prorated cost - $48, so I'm definitely not complaining - just an interesting fact.

Thanks again to all who responded!! Much appreciated.

Caddyinfo to the rescue again!!

Brad

Blk/Blk w/gold package

HEAT kills these batteries.... that is why they put them under the rear seat

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived