CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brake Problem

mattd

Hey Guys

Couple of weeks ago I had my new brakes installed. Just to get this out of the way they are aftermarket and I'm sure alot of you guys would hate them. They are cross drilled :rolleyes: and ceramic brake pads. Before you jump all over that :) let me just say that they came highly recommended and that I used them on my 95 STS with excellent results. The problem I'm having is that right away they didn't feel right. When stepping on the brakes at higher speeds they made a kind of rubbing sound that I could feel in the pedal. I figured they're new and they'll brake in. After a couple days of driving they started getting worse and worse. The rubbing noise turned into an extremely loud one that resembles more of a overheating noise. Also right from day one I could hear a weird noise coming from the driver's side front, much like a rock stuck in the tire ticking away as the speed goes up (IT"S NOT A ROCK) I haven't gone back to the shop that installed them cause they did this as a favour to me and I didn't pay for it ( I ussually do my own) I figured it's gotta be a seized ( HOW DO U SPELL THAT? ) caliper. So I kept driving on it to make sure. I figured after a couple weeks of driving with a seized caliper I'm sure to figure out which one it is. So far I'm in week four and brakes look perfectly fine. No excess brake dust, no discolouration no visible indication whatsoever of a seized caliper other then the noise while driving :angry: I don't want to take it to mechanic and start throwing money at the problem. I would love to find the reason for this. Is there anyway I can tell if I have a seized caliper for sure? Or maybe these rotors are faulty? Or could it be something else? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah here's another little clue. When braking from higher speeds when I turn to the right (shifting the weight of the car to left) The noise comes on almost instantly when I turn left (shifting the weight back) it seems to go away. This leads me to believe the problem lies in the Left front corner. I really think it's a caliper issue, but after 4 weeks of driving no evidance of it other then the noise. Another thing is if I'm getting that noise that means the brakes would be really really hot usually followed by warping...but nothing :blink: If it was a caliper I overheat those brakes a couple times a day you figure those rotors would be so warped but they're perfecty smooth....I'm so confused. :huh: Thanx

Hey Guys

Oh yeah here's another little clue. When braking from higher speeds when I turn to the right (shifting the weight of the car to left) The noise comes on almost instantly when I turn left (shifting the weight back) it seems to go away. This leads me to believe the problem lies in the Left front corner.

Thanx

Sounds to me like left front wheel bearing, not caliper. Especially because the noise gets worse when you turn and put more weight on it.

Posted Image

Definitely not a bearing. The noise I'm talking about is a brake noise and goes away as soon as I let go of the brake peadal. I really don't think the bearing is the cause. As far touching the wheels what do you mean? There's no visible difference between them. No excess dusting visible warping etc. After driving they're both pretty hot too :)

Hey Guys

Oh yeah here's another little clue. When braking from higher speeds when I turn to the right (shifting the weight of the car to left) The noise comes on almost instantly when I turn left (shifting the weight back) it seems to go away. This leads me to believe the problem lies in the Left front corner.

Thanx

Sounds to me like left front wheel bearing, not caliper. Especially because the noise gets worse when you turn and put more weight on it.

Jim, that's what I was thinking. But looks like he hears the noise only when the brakes are applied.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Is there anyway I can tell if I have a seized caliper for sure?

If the caliper where seized, it would be dragging. The wheel would be hot and the pads would be worn.

Maybe you have a defective cross drilled rotor? What brand are they? You mentioned you had them installed for free. Have you taken the wheels off and visually checked their work? Have you confirmed BOTH pads on each rotor are wearing evenly?

This is a classic hub bearing symptom, and why some above suggested a hub bearing:

"Oh yeah here's another little clue. When braking from higher speeds when I turn to the right (shifting the weight of the car to left) The noise comes on almost instantly when I turn left (shifting the weight back) it seems to go away"

Now you may have a bad hub bearing AND a "warped" rotor, but that line you posted above is classic hub bearing. Where did you buy the rotors? Are they a perfect fit? Were they new? If you have excessive vibration I would have the rotors checked out for run out and make sure they sit flat to the hub.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Jack up the car and see if there is any play in your bearing...if not...be darn sure your caliper bolts are tight. I had that happen and a caliper break off. I haven't changed these type, but is there a nipple on the brake pad that has to fit in the grove on the caliper? I know most of my rear brakes are like that and if you don't get that in there....the brakes wear out and do all sorts of funky things.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

is there a nipple on the brake pad that has to fit in the grove on the caliper?

Yes. The indents in the piston need to be at the 12:00 & 6:00 position when the pads are installed. Then the nipple will seat into the indents.

Hey guys thanks for all the info. Sorry I've been away for a couple of days. As far as the theory that it's the bearing, I'm 99% it wouldn't be unless in some weird cases it reacts with only when brakes applied. This noise only happends when brakes are applied. Let me try to say what I meant again. The noise seems to come on really fast almost instantly when I'm going somewhat fast 45MPH+, apply the brakes somewhat heavy and turn the car to the right putting the weight on the left side. AS SOON as I let go of the brakes the noise goes away. That to me means it's not a bearing, unless you can tell how that ties in. As far as rotors are concerned there is a possibillity that they are crap, and are cause my problem. A friend of mine who drives an import Japanese burner told me about this place that they sell really good brakes for all makes and models. I've bought these before for my 95 STS and even thought I wasn't sure about it, I was pleasantly surprised about them. They looked great and I could actually feel a differnece in braking power. When I got this car (99) it needed brakes right away so I bought them from the same guy again all around rotors and pads. Still I guess it's a possiblity that they are the reason for this. As far the pad installation goes I'm assuming it was done right. Everything was good and tight when I took the wheels off. It was done at a Cadillac dealer, by a guy who could likely do this job in his sleep. Someone here sugested raising the car and trying to move the wheels in neutral to see if there is dragging which would indicate a seized caliper. Seems simple enough I figure I'll do that next. Seized caliper is not that big of a job. I've had to do it once before but that time I knew right away that's what it was. Heavy brake dusting warped rotors and really discoloured rotor after just a couple of weeks. That's the part that I don't get. If it is a seized caliper how come after a month of driving my rotors are not warped yet. I'm not even getting any dusting issues or anything that would indicate a seized caliper other then the noise. I'll try the wheel thing and go from there I guess. Thanks for the input.

Archived