CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

G-Northstar Intake Plug

JasonA

I found a nice little plug for the intake tube that allows the removal of the intake silencer or resonator or whatever it's called. No performance characteristics are expected to change, I just wanted to clean up the engine bay and make transmission fluid and air filter inspections much easier. I guess all the G-platform Northstar cars have this setup? (98+ Seville and 00+ DeVille)

It's a rubber "quick connect" product designed for connecting lengths of PVC piping (rather than using PVC unions or elbows). But they also had plugs, or caps. The Quick Cap for 2" PVC pipe fit VERY snugly in the intake tube hole...almost like it was designed for it. Tightly enough for it to never fall out, but it's not so crammed in there so as to cause a deformation in the cap or intake tube and create an air leak. It's really a perfect size.

Found it at Home Depot. It was a buck and a half or something.

IPB Image

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I am not familiar with the 'stock' intake setup on a 98+ NS. With removal of the silencer the intake sound changes? Was the silencer some sort of cylindrical baffle that fit within that circular opening?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

No Bruce, it is a big flat reservoir for lack of better word that mounts on that hole. Maybe someone will post a "before" picture.

Jason,

Being that it is a "silencer", do you notice any difference in sound, either at normal driving or at WOT? I seem to recall Dadillac did this and reported no change in sound.

No,

It is a squarish plastic thing that is about the size of a baking pan.

I had a buddy of mine with a wood lathe turn a plug for my car out of a piece of maple stock.

Absolutely no change in engine noise.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Yes, as I understand, I should experience no change in noise. I wouldn't mind a little increase in noise, but I don't expect it. That "silencer" is just another piece to have to remove to service anything on that side of the car, and I like the cleaned up look a little better.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Your engine bay is nice and clean!

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

to me it looks like another beauty cover :)

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived