CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GM Service Information DVD

Can someone who has the "GM Service Information DVD" listed here: http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?c...NN3EEK1TDR9FQC3 tell me more about it? It appears to have all the service manual info for any GM vehicle for 1998-2006. I like to have paper books for some things, but the DVD version might get less grimey :rolleyes:

Contains Factory Authorized Service information written by General Motors. It contains Diagnostic Information and Procedures, Schematics and Routing Diagrams, Component Locator, Repair Instructions, Description and Operation, Specifications, and Special Tools and equipment. Service information on HVAC, Body & Accessories, Restraints, Steering, Suspension, Driveline/Axle, Brakes, Engine and Transmission/Transaxle.

$400 for the DVD is pricey, but that sounds like a lot of handy info. My question is, is it easy to use, easy to look up info, easy to print out pages you need to have out next to the car?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

THe shop I go to has a computer based shop manuals and a payed subscrition to some service that gives it updates for each new model or model changes. PRetty neat.

Anyway it seemed pretty accurate and being able to "blow up" the pictures of the assembly was nice.

The usually print a few pages out.

Now if you have a laptop thats the best of both worlds because there are some USB OBDII programs out there....but instead of a manual getting grimey I'm sure a computer notebook wouldn't fair well.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

If you are a GM employee. You can get online access for free using your GMID. Its all there...1998 thru today. Complete GM service manual. Everything. All of GM and Saturn. Same thing the dealership is using.

Service manual...TSBs..everything.

http://service.gm.com/index_en-US.html

Up to date version all the time. Fantastic...

Image is some type of 2007 STS flange.

post-2-1174835981.gif

I bought a CD/DVD Service and Parts Operations Set from a guy on eBay for $15 bucks delivered.

There are at least 7 or 8 members on this forum with this info... If you have an FTP site or something that can handle about 5 Gigs of data let me know and I'll upload a copy for you.

DVD Contains Information On Service Manuals 1998 Thru 2006. Service Bulletins 1980 Thru Current and 1996/1997 Engine/Transmissions

Ya that's whats its got... Everything that's in the Helm book and MORE. When its installed and decompressed its about 6 Gigs of data and you get a complete Helm level of quality service guide for ALL GM cars 98-06 PLUS all technical bulletins PLUS service advisories PLUS all recalls PLUS "secret" dealer repair kits and part numbers that go with them (the heated seat elements for example) PLUS owner's manuals for newer (04-06) cars

Best $15 I have ever spent! Used to be you couldn't swing a dead cat on eBay with out finding someone selling a set. In the past 6 months they have all dried up... Copyright issues? The set that I got sure looked like a Genuine GM copy... but how can you tell..

PS... It only works in Win 2000 and XP... I haven't tested it in Vista yet.

On a side note...

Dear GM...

For me... my possession of this information increased the likelihood that my next car will be a 2004-2006 GM by about 1000% The cost to make these DVDs would be about $0.50 per car. If GM included them with new cars and offered free Internet updates this might actually have be buying a NEW car ;)

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Does anyone have experience with the "Do It Yourself" yearly subscriptions offered at alldata.com?

http://www.alldatadiy.com/

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

If GM included them with new cars and offered free Internet updates this might actually have be buying a NEW car

I think this is a terrific idea; each Cadillac should come with a DVD in the glovebox with the shop manual on the DVD. For new models, you could get a coupon for the shop manual when it is available.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I bought a CD/DVD Service and Parts Operations Set from a guy on eBay for $15 bucks delivered.

There are at least 7 or 8 members on this forum with this info... If you have an FTP site or something that can handle about 5 Gigs of data let me know and I'll upload a copy for you.

I'll try to take care of setting up a location during business hours on Monday. When it's ready to go, look for a PM from this site.

Thanks for the offer....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Ok-Dokay

Moving that much data will probably upset my IT department... :ph34r:

But since they all work for me they will have to live with it! ;)

caddy.jpg

Greg

Now if you have a laptop thats the best of both worlds because there are some USB OBDII programs out there....

Several, in fact.

Any recent reviews on these packages?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I'll try to take care of setting up a location during business hours on Monday. When it's ready to go, look for a PM from this site.

Thanks for the offer....

... Copyright issues? The set that I got sure looked like a Genuine GM copy... but how can you tell..

I don't think you'd want to put that online. You might want to consult with your lawyer first.

Just a thought,

Warren

Posted Image

Does anyone have experience with the "Do It Yourself" yearly subscriptions offered at alldata.com?

I tried one about 7 or 8 years ago. They had some good info, but compared to Helm, the best word to describe it is "incomplete". This is not to say that they are not useful, and they may have improved a lot in 7 - 8 years.

Maybe someone has had a more recent experience with them.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Just tested the GM online thing in VISTA...

As with just about everything else...

It no work. :angry: But it does work fine in XP and 2000

caddy.jpg

Greg

• 5 months later...

Yes I have had All Data service on 4 vehicles and found a lot of good info but also leaves something to be desired on ease of use and not everything is covered or not located logicaly. Thanks Eric AKA Cadman1940

Archived