CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Service Engine Light Coming On

Hello everyone, Great site here and I look forward to being part of it.

On to my problem, I got a 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood with 120,000 miles on it about a week ago. I drove it for two days and then on my way to work the service engine light came on.

After I got to work, I poped the hood to check things over. The radiator cap was hissing and the engine was hot. I turned the car back on, the service engine light was off but the cooling fan for the engine wasn't on. So I turned on the ac knowing that it should kick on the smaller fan and nothing. This was about 3 days ago.

I was heading to work today and the service engine light came on about the same place it did last time. I went on to work and poped the hood. It was doing the same thing as before. The engine was hot, the radiator cap was hissing and none of the fans were on.

My dash light for engine temp is out so I don't know if thats coming on or not. The coolant level is were it should be hot and cold. After it cooled I pulled the radiator cap and the coolant level there was ok. I can't see any leaks from the water pump or anywhere else. The two times its done this have been on hotter days.

Would the engine overheating trip the service engine light? With my engine as hot as it was shouldn't at least one of fans came on?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed.

Do you know how to check for codes?

Put the key to the 'ON' ignition --don't start the car

Hold the OFF and WARMER buttons until your digital dash lights up.

Then codes will appear! write 'em down .., then post back. We'll tell you what they mean exactly. Good luck and welcome aboard

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

As bentham said, pull the codes to be sure what tripped the light. The hissing cap could just be a bad cap. I don't think it should be hissing. If it overheated, it should vent to the overflow tank and not vent to the atmosphere. If infact it was overheating I would think the fans should have been on. That may be a clue that it was not overheating. If it was overheating, I would first check the cap, thermostat and radiator (clean out the 11yrs worth of dead bugs).

Welcome aboard and good luck and let us nkow how you make out.

Ok I just tried to pull the codes, I pressed off and warmer with the in but engine off. It cycled and then displayed 7.0, What do I do from here?

7.0 means the engine will blow up in seven miles. Be careful! :o

just kidding... tru again, actually the ngine may be on it does not matter.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Haven't seen one of these in the shop, in quite some time! It has been quite some time, but wasn' t this car equipped with the 4.9? That powerplant was fairly durable, from my perspective. As the "boys" said, pull the codes out of it. They will probably respond before I get the chance to.

after you depressed simultaneousle off and warmer the Driver Information Center (DIC) will show something like NO ECM CODES, NO BCM CODES

This is in case you really do not have them. Otherwise it will show say E048 or B121. Get them and post, we will tell you what to do about it. I do not think something serious happened. SES is pretty common light.

Ok I just tried to pull the codes, I pressed off and warmer with the in but engine off. It cycled and then displayed 7.0, What do I do from here?

The .7.0 mean the diagnostic system is awaiting further input from the user. The codes will be displayed and then .7.0 will appear.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I agree with KHE, if you got the 7.0 there were no codes. They always appear before the 7.0. Was the check engine light on before you checked the codes? If it was not, then the codes have been reset and none will appear. If it is on, then a code should appear before the 7.0. If the light just comes and goes then your problem is intermittent. Which means there may be a problem but not requiring immediate attention.

Heres everything is displays after I enter the diagnostic mode.

E

E13

F

F10

F48

FF

F10

Then it displays 7.0. Are these the codes I'm looking for?

Also the check engine light is now off but all of those codes were displayed before the 7.0 came on.

my car is different year so the codes differ. nevertheless it looks like you do not have any SERIOUS problem. something like EGR , oxigene sensor etc. Someone will tell you what the codes you got are.

E13 - Oxygen Sensor Not Ready:

There is a short, open or a bad ground in the Oxygen Sensor circuit.

F10 - Outside Air Temperature Sensor Circuit Problem:

Check your outside temperature, if it is not correct then it probably means the sensor is bad. You could just clean the plug and see if that helps. The Sensor is normally located around the front center of the radiator. I bought a new one for my 94 concours for about $14.00.

F48 - Refrigerant System Problem:

Your Air conditioner probably needs charged. A Low Pressure Sensor Switch could be bad. It could also be a short in the circuit or bad connection to the BCM(Body Control Module)

Hope this helps, I took this out of my Shop Manual for my 92 Deville.

Great info paul t, The outside air temp is wrong. On my car it read -40c, so I'll need to replace that. What would the name of this part be? I looked on on autozone.com and couldn't find anything fitting the description.

I was thinking that my o2 sensor(s) weren't working right as I'm getting 11 mpg. Would the o2 sensor not ready come on because the o2 sensor(s) has failed or is it really a short or a bad ground? Should I replace both o2 sensors or would that make any difference?

You can only get the "Outside Temperature Sensor" at the dealer. You will probably notice that the heater will work better after.

I would inspect the O2 sensor connections and wires. They could be rubbing on something and wore a hole in the insulation. Clean the terminals and reset the codes and see if it comes back. I would probably replace them if they are not too expensive.

Good Luck.

Archived