CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Thinking about corsa exhaust...

I was listening to all the awesome sounds of the corsa exhaust and they had my year seville and it sounded awesome! Then I saw the price...that is a little out of my price range. I got magnaflow put on my suburban for 300 bucks and sounds almost the same.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Glad you found what you wanted for your truck. The Corsa systems are expensive, but for specific applications can provide good performance advantages. After looking at the Escalade choices earlier in the week, because they share flow pathing, and a single muffler setup, I suspect many of the options provide very similar performance.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Why are they so expensive? I know they deliver incredible sound, but is it really worth the extra grand?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I am sure they sell them for the max price they can get. They spend engineering time on each application ensuring that they get the performance and the sound they want. Magnaflow of course does similar engineering on their systems.

For buying, I think it is important to look at the application. For the CTS it is a twin resonator and dual mufflers, dual twin tips, and a lot of pipe. The CTS Corsa MSRP is around $1,300 (shipping free as I recall).

The Escalade systems I have seen appear to be shorter piping (side exhaust), and a single muffler, and no resonator. They are less expensive, and how much less varies by manufacturer. I would guess that Magnaflow has a much larger production base, and can spread their engineering costs over a wider number of production units, which decreases the individual unit cost to them, and allows a lower purchase price.

On the other hand, Corsa has been a good Cadillac backer, and has systems available for some Cadillac applications that no one else has competitive systems for. For the CTS 3.6L, only Corsa and Billy Boat have catback systems on the market (that I know of).

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I noticed that you have the corsa on your 3.6. How does it sound? I couldn't find anything on corsa site to hear a 3.6 with corsa.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Corsa systems are known for their superb engineering and lack of droning and resonance. The materials are also top notch. Similar to a Borla or Edelbrock...you're usually going to get what you pay for.

After I got my '01, I briefly considered getting a Corsa system. But I read a lot of comments on the other Cadillac forum site about the system changing the powerband of the engine (moving it up in the RPM range) and I'm pretty sure that's not what I want.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I have the Corsa system on my 99 STS, I've had it for a couple of years and can't say enough good things about it. The sound makes me WANT to drive the car...its truely a pleasure. And its not just me, I can't tell you how many times I'm at the gas station or at a red light and someone pulls up and tells me how awesome the car sounds.

One reason that Corsa systems are so expensive that no one has mentioned is the fact that the system has no packing material whatsoever. The benefit is that unlike most other systems the sound you start with is what you will always have. I've had a lot of other mufflers on my other vehicles over the years and they all get louder and louder as time passes. Eventually they get so loud that you can't stand it anymore...often to a point that you can't talk while driving the car. The Corsa system doesn't do that.

Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that the Corsa system can be kept very quiet if you are easy on the throttle...almost as quiet as stock if you are very easy with it. But step into the throttle and its an entire different animal. That Northstar sings under heavy throttle with the Corsa. Sounds a bit like a Vette under hard throttle. The sound bits on Corsa's website are very accurate guys, give it a try.

Here are a couple of pictures for anyone interested:

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/362860...65for_web_2.jpg

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/362860...4_for_web_2.jpg

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/362860...0_for_web_2.jpg

1999 STS

65K miles

Corsa Exhaust

Eibach Springs

K&N filter

Lot's of fun!

Rickm6, thanks. Can you comment on the point I brought up above? I went from a '97 SLS to a '01 STS, and the difference in where the engine power occurs is pretty apparent. The STS engine is more "zingy"...you have to rev it up to get power out of it. I read on the other forum that the Corsa exhaust makes this "issue" more apparent. Did you find that as well? Is the throttle response any softer down under 2500 rpm?

Thanks.

1999 STS

65K miles

Corsa Exhaust

Eibach Springs

K&N filter

Lot's of fun!

Damm.... that first pic is sweet. I love the look of the corsa system. I have been thinking of it for 3 years. Might do it this year. Tell me about the performance improvement and who installed it. Please.

Rick

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

1999 STS

65K miles

Corsa Exhaust

Eibach Springs

K&N filter

Lot's of fun!

Wow. I have never seen a red STS like that before. That is AMAZING!

Thanks everyone for all the answers! I may consider getting corsa some day then! I'll have to save up for it though...

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Rickm6, thanks. Can you comment on the point I brought up above? I went from a '97 SLS to a '01 STS, and the difference in where the engine power occurs is pretty apparent. The STS engine is more "zingy"...you have to rev it up to get power out of it. I read on the other forum that the Corsa exhaust makes this "issue" more apparent. Did you find that as well? Is the throttle response any softer down under 2500 rpm?

Thanks.

Jason,

I believe the SLS is 25 hp less than the STS. The SLS was designed to be a bit more smooth and laid back than the STS. I'm just guessing but I would think there is a different cam profile or the way the cam comes on is different between the two cars - maybe someone with more knowledge in this department can help us out.

As far as how the Corsa affects power delivery...I immediately noticed a difference in upper mid to top end power. Pulled harder in those ranges but didn't feel any difference down low. Until I took the car on the freeway I was disappointed. As soon as I got on the freeway and rev'd her out I got a big smile.

I'm very happy with the Corsa and would recommend it to anyone.

Thanks,

Rick

"Wow. I have never seen a red STS like that before. That is AMAZING!

Thanks everyone for all the answers! I may consider getting corsa some day then! I'll have to save up for it though..."

Thanks...I like the color too. Crimson Pearl is official color. It was actually a $500.00 option.

Rick

I see you have the Michilin A/S Sports. How do you like them? Had a set. Liked them. Put on Perrillies Pzero Nero M/S this time. Best tire I have had on the beast. Handles better than ever. Very smooth, very quite, corners as good,and just as good in the rain as the Pilots. Pitots ran out of tread too quick for me for the price. Perilles half the price and IMO a better tire.

1999 STS

65K miles

Corsa Exhaust

Eibach Springs

K&N filter

Lot's of fun!

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

That is one nice looking car!

I had magnaflow put onto my old 94 Deville, and I was happy with it.

We can't seem to find Corsa up here in Canada. and if we could get it, I imagine the price would triple.

We have a lot of custom shops around here that will do ANYTHING you want to your exhaust, so Magnaflow, or Flow-Pro are the best options for us up here.

Anyway, nice ride!

Big Jay :D

Life is too short to grow up!

I think I recall reading or hearing that the Corvette had some sort of "adaptive" exhaust system. My recollection is that a kind of "bypass" opened under full throttle.

Can someone tell me if I dreamed this?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I believe the SLS is 25 hp less than the STS. The SLS was designed to be a bit more smooth and laid back than the STS. I'm just guessing but I would think there is a different cam profile or the way the cam comes on is different between the two cars - maybe someone with more knowledge in this department can help us out.

That's pretty much correct. The SLS had 25 fewer horsepower, 5 more pound feet of torque, and both of those peaks occured about 400 rpm lower in the engine range than they do on the STS. The SLS even had a taller final drive ratio (3.11 vs. 3.71), but it still felt gutsier just cruising down the boulevard.

I wouldn't mind the exhaust as long as it didn't hurt power down low. It looks look, and sound, very nice.

I think I recall reading or hearing that the Corvette had some sort of "adaptive" exhaust system. My recollection is that a kind of "bypass" opened under full throttle.

I think that's correct -- on the C6 models.

For you Canadian guys, take a look at Solo Mufflers ( http://www.solo-performance.com, they're based out of Ontario and are a budding little company.

So far I have been very happy with my Storm Mufflers and Tips, a bit of surface rust on one of them so I'll have that looked at (I know our winters are hard on metal but its stainless and its only been a week.

Other than that I have noticed the Fuel Economy gains (well the first 2-3 days I didn't if you catch my drift). I have to say the sound is great, my video doesn't do it justice. On the highway when I really wind it up theres a nice howl that forms and I feel like I could run LeMans :)

My thread is here: http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...c=11442&hl=

I was out the door for 400 Bucks (2 mufflers, 2 tips, tax AND Labor) and about an hour to an hour and a half :)http://www.Mufflerman.net didn't even nickle and dime me over hangers, left pretty much everything undisturbed, cut out the old, in with the new.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

That's pretty much correct. The SLS had 25 fewer horsepower, 5 more pound feet of torque, and both of those peaks occured about 400 rpm lower in the engine range than they do on the STS. The SLS even had a taller final drive ratio (3.11 vs. 3.71), but it still felt gutsier just cruising down the boulevard.

I wouldn't mind the exhaust as long as it didn't hurt power down low. It looks look, and sound, very nice.

I think that's correct -- on the C6 models.

Don't you think the STS would feel more power around town though with the 3.71 ratio? Or do lower gear ratios feel more powerful cruising around?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

"I see you have the Michilin A/S Sports. How do you like them? Had a set. Liked them. Put on Perrillies Pzero Nero M/S this time. Best tire I have had on the beast. Handles better than ever. Very smooth, very quite, corners as good,and just as good in the rain as the Pilots. Pitots ran out of tread too quick for me for the price. Perilles half the price and IMO a better tire."

Rickster,

Those are actually Kumho Ecsta 712 tires. They were great tires although they recently discontinued those and replaced them with Ecsta SPT tires, which I just installed on my car. The SPT's are still new but so far they feel even more sticky in the corners than the 712's. I'm running 255/50-17's all the way around, the size pretty much limits the number of sport tires available. Sport tires are pretty expensive these days so I've been staying with Yokohama (which I used back in my SCCA racing days) and now Kumho's. The Kumho's are big with a lot of the Corvette guys, that's who recommended them to me and I'm been very happy with them (highly rated on tirerack.com by users too).

Rick

Don't you think the STS would feel more power around town though with the 3.71 ratio? Or do lower gear ratios feel more powerful cruising around?

The SLS had more power and torque down low -- that's what you feel. The STS has the 3.71 final drive to make up for the lack of low end power and torque.

But in terms of measured performance, I'm sure this STS is at least the equal to my SLS, but the SLS has a better feel to it.

The Pontiac Bonneville with the Northstar had the LD8 engine (275 hp) with the 3.71 final drive. Basically, an SLS engine with STS transmission. I think that'd be the BEST combination, and one I wish Cadillac used.

The Pontiac Bonneville with the Northstar had the LD8 engine (275 hp) with the 3.71 final drive. Basically, an SLS engine with STS transmission. I think that'd be the BEST combination, and one I wish Cadillac used.

WOW! I didn't know that.

I'd like to have a ride in one of those.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived