CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Next DTS confirmed as global rear wheel drive ride

Bruce Nunnally

Jim Queen, the GM VP of Global Product Development, confirmed to Motor Trend that the next DTS (2010) will be on the Zeta platform. This is the same platform as the new Pontiac G8 and the Camaro. In fact, the new global rear wheel drive platform is SO versitile, GM has compared it to the days when Fisher Body was in full swing, and GM could have custom bodies done on basically similar chasses resulting in a line of cars. The platform allows choices of front overhang length, center section length, and rear overhang length during design, so that it can be used to make cars as varied as the next Camaro and the next DTS.

Zeta as a name is probably changed to "Global Rear wheel drive", but is used here for reference. It is similar in many ways to the platform used on the CTS/SRX/STS.

He also said 700 hp for the next Corvette Z06; lately the guess number was 650hp, then 600hp, now 700hp. That same engine could end up in the next CTS-V if it does not get the supercharged Northstar.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_ne...global_product/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Jim, that was an interesting blurb. I'm confused, though, that they call the Northstar an "expensive" engine. They say that repeatedly. What's "expensive" about it? Production costs? Machining? Wouldn't any world class high output engine be "expensive" to produce?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

So cadillac won't have any FWD cars soon? I'm not so sure I like that. FWD is really nice for winter. They should have kept at least one FWD. I know for performance and stuff RWD is better, but most people who buy the DTS, at least around here, aren't looking for performance, but just luxury.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

AWD models will be available for snow states. The 08 CTS will be available in all wheel drive as well as rear wheel drive, the SRX is already, and the STS or Escalade.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

AWD sucks the gas though. FWD seemed to be a happy medium. GM kind of goes from one extreme to the next. First they didn't have any RWD, pretty soon that's all they'll have. Guess I'll just stick with my 02.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

With the ability to create cars with a near 50-50 weight dispersment, anti-lock brakes, traction control, and computer controlled engine and transmission the idea of having a rear wheel car that cant perform well in inclement weather is mute.

Kyle

With the ability to create cars with a near 50-50 weight dispersment, anti-lock brakes, traction control, and computer controlled engine and transmission the idea of having a rear wheel car that cant perform well in inclement weather is mute.

Not much can overcome physics, even electronics and computers. Having to buy snow tires is still very common for RWD owners in the northern states. I've begun to really prefer FWD. You save weight, you save interior packaging, you save small amounts of fuel economy (less rotational mass), you save propeller shaft vibrations, and you really lose nothing. RWD is way over-hyped by the automotive rags as the new "gotta have" thing. 20 years ago, they were praising FWD as the thing to have. Now they've vascillated back to RWD. Oh well. :rolleyes:

I'll gladly take advantage of the day-to-day benefits of FWD, even if it does mean that I'd suffer a time penalty at the autocross track that I never go to.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Not much can overcome physics, even electronics and computers. Having to buy snow tires is still very common for RWD owners in the northern states. I've begun to really prefer FWD. You save weight, you save interior packaging, you save small amounts of fuel economy (less rotational mass), you save propeller shaft vibrations, and you really lose nothing. RWD is way over-hyped by the automotive rags as the new "gotta have" thing. 20 years ago, they were praising FWD as the thing to have. Now they've vascillated back to RWD. Oh well. :rolleyes:

I'll gladly take advantage of the day-to-day benefits of FWD, even if it does mean that I'd suffer a time penalty at the autocross track that I never go to.

If it means I'll have more room to do simple tasks like drain the radiator or change the plugs, maybe even do the head gaskets inside a car :) I'll take the RWD :) Its nice that all the engine is one spot from a design stand point but its so hard to work on anything in FWD cars.

The main reason FWD is better for winter is because of higher speed stabilility in slick conditions and of course is cheaper than a RWD setup. Other than that RWD has been tuned with the help of Stability and Traction control systems to be just as good on pavement. If your on dirt roads in the country, FWD or RWD your in trouble anyway.

I have to admit I'm one of the few at work who doesn't have something with 4wd who DOESN'T get stuck in the snow on a regular basis. Part of that is the caddy being so heavy and good tires and a lot drive unloaded RWD only pickups. One guy drives a RWD Chevy conversion van, has decent tires on it, does fine as long as he doesn't wonder off the beaten path :)

The small Euro style cadillac may be the only FWD offering if the do bring the BLS over here.

From my experience, FWD, when turning in snow, and tends to understeer, especially when braking. While RWD snaps around in a fishtail motion. The new 50/50 weight cars are great, especially the XLR (well it so low forget snow but it has its transmission mounted in the rear). The thing that makes the 50/50 cars good is that they are simply that, balanced. With that said, unless your traveling dirt roads, RWD will be fine for any winter travel. This Canadian driver article is pretty good: http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/020619.htm

In all honesty the few times I have gotten stuck, RWD would have helped me out as when you accelerate all your weight shifts to the rear wheels, thus when rocking your vehicle it can be frustrating. That and it seems the front end always gets buried in something before the rear :P

As far as the future V8 for caddy, at the local autoshow the workers from the Tonawanda Powertrain plant were discussing all their engines and said they will be producing Cadillacs next new engine. Maybe they let the cat out of the bag?

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived