CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Performance shifting on 02 sts

95SevilleSLS

You know that feature that STS has where it can tell if you are performance driving and it changes the gear selector on the instrument cluster? How do you get it to do that? I was driving crazy and it still wouldn't come on...

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Ya know, I read that a few years ago somewhere and could never get it to do that so I gave up.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

The owner's manual says that while PAS (Performance Algorithm Shifting) is enabled, the gear selection on the display will change to indicate what gear it is in, even if the physical gear selector is still in D. Once PAS turns off, the display will return to showing D as the current range.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Performance algorithm shifting really come into play if you are accelerating through a power curve as one example. Instead of the car shifting and perhaps ruining your line, it will hold a gear longer.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/stsfaq/answers/pas.html

PAS is a transmission algorithm that looks at lateral acceleration, throttle, and vehicle deceleration activity to determine if the vehicle is being driven in a competitive manner. If the algorithm recognizes these conditions, it can force downshifts and hold lower gears for optimized vehicle performance

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

So exactly how do I get it to do it then? Just accelerate around a corner? I'm confused!

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

I haven't noticed my gear selector changing. I don't think it does on the '06 DTS.

BUT, if you are going around a curve and it starts pulling g's, if it has downshifted, it will stay in that gear for a long time even if you are not gaining a lot of speed.

As Bruce said, it will keep you from messing up your line in the curve. Another neat thing I like about it, if you are pulling some pretty good G's accelerating thru the curve, it will downshift by itself a WHOLE LOT SOONER than it normally would on a straight road. When it does it's kinda gentle like and don't jerk the car around, maybe making you lose it.

All in all a pretty neat implementation of a pretty good idea.

Posted Image

Yeah, it's not just jumping on and off the throttle in a straight line, you really have to be carving through canyons.

There are actually two shift algorithms as I understand, but I couldn't really describe the differences. PAS is the Performance Algorithm Shifting. There's also PAL, or Performance Algorithm Liftfoot. Maybe PAL is a FUNCTION of PAS, I don't know.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hmm. I'd try it, but I don't have very good luck with cops and cadillacs. My last seville I think I was pulled over 3 times or so. I only had it for 3 months. Once I was racing a ricer. The second time I ran a stop light (complete accident.) I can't remember the third time...

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Archived