CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A/C leak

Dan

I had "low refrigerant" message on my dic. I refilled it using those home recharge kits. A week later I got the same message. I refilled it ,and yet again a week later the same message popped up. Obviously I have a leak. Does anybody know how I can go about finding it? Please help!!

Either an electronic leak detector or UV dye will pinpoint the leak. The UV dye is injected into the system and then after the A/C has been operating for a few minutes, the leak(s) will glow bright green when illuminated with a black light.

The electronic detectors have a probe that uses a heated diode sensor to detect the leaking refrigerant. When refrigerant is detected, the "geiger counter" type signal increases in frequency almost to a solid tone.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Dan,

You probably do have a leak. That being said, I had the same problem sporadically with my '93, had the R12 topped off and the problem continued. Unplugged, cleaned, and reconnected all the connectors that plug into the A/C lines. That fixed it until the compressor failed a year later.

FWIW

YMMV

Sometimes. a leak will leave a tell-tale oiley residue. I have been lucky a couple of times, stopping a leak by retightening the loose fitting. The best way for leak detection is what KHE said, you can't fool the sniffer.

rek

When refrigerant is detected, the "geiger counter" type signal increases in frequency almost to a solid tone.

I had a similar problem and ended up taking it to the dealer. They had a flat rate (half hour labor) to find the leak. They had the "geiger counter" and spent over an hour trying to find the leak.

It was finally discovered that the evaporator (looks like a heater core - behind the dash) had a leak.

They only charged me for a 1/2 hour.

I replaced the evaporator myself and took it back for a fill/check for another 1/2 hr rate + R134a.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I bought my Tek-Mate heated diode leak detector on ebay last summer for $52! It was in brand new condition and appeared to be used very little. I couldn't believe I won the auction as other identical units were selling for $130.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Did you use a "home remedy" can and hose kit, or did you use the proper manifold gauges to introduce the R-12/R-134 into the system? More importantly, did you purge the lines of air, before you introduced it into the system? If not, you just created an eventual leak, in your system. Refridgerent, mixed with air, produces a "gas" that will eat away at all seals in the system. If you did, rent a vacuum pump, scavenge the system, and recharge it the proper way, without air!

More importantly, did you purge the lines of air, before you introduced it into the system? If not, you just created an eventual leak, in your system. Refridgerent, mixed with air, produces a "gas" that will eat away at all seals in the system.

:o I have added many cans of refrigerant over the years with a DIY kit. Never perged the air or had a problem. Guess I was lucky. Also never knew about the gassing problem. The things I have learned on this site are amazing. Thanks for the advise!

If the system is not completely empty, you can top it off with refrigerant without introducing air into the system. Be sure to let a little refrigerant escape from the filler hose to bleed off any air in the line.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Response to Larry. Did you have the cars long enough, to experience a leak induced by your "error"? In an "empty" system, you have greater pressure from "the can" and therefore introducing only freon to the system. In a relatively "good" charged system, air can enter, as you are charging it on the "low"side. Refridgerant is a "reuseable" resource. It does not "wear" out. The compressors action varies the freon from a gas, to a liquid, per se. Air compresses, liquid does not.

Styes,

Yes, had them for many years after adding a can or two with no problems. Only once did I open the system and refilll without evacuating it. I knew better but thought I'd give it a try. Seemed to work fine but I wouldn't do that again.

Archived