CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 DEVILLE NOT BOSE SYSTEM

kigy311

Could you tell me if this would work in my 98 deville that has a non Bose radio/cassette with the Source button?I do have a connector inside the trunk by the power antenna area,on the right side.

Thank you.

post-4671-1162740926_thumb.jpg

post-4671-1162740939_thumb.jpg

I would call your local Cadillac dealer to confirm the part number...I have no idea (now drive a '99 STS). I'm pretty sure that those 12-disc changers worked with a variety of GM vehicles.

Charles

Charles

It looks just like the one in my 1997 ETC, and, yes, they were offered in a variety of GM vehicles.

Mine is controlled through the Bose console buttons (Source, CD selection, fast-forward, etc.) and responds to the Select lever on my steering wheel. You will have to figure out how to control your unit. The non-Bose radio isn't set up to do that so you may need some ingenuity.

With 15 to 20 songs per CD, you can get about 200 songs in your changer. With random selection, it's almost like having your own radio station. That can be nice when you're driving through North Dakota, East Texas, or one of the East-West Interstates in the Plains, Desert, or Basin, where the raido fare often runs to "I left something turned on at home" when you can find a station at all.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

What button do you hit for the random selection? Something I've yet to figure out on my non-bose, cassette system. Other than not having the random I can do all that you listed.

That changer should work just fine, pictures of the possibly aftermarket version of the stock changer:

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

The non-Bose radio will control the CD changer just fine. My '97 SLS came with the base non-Bose cassette deck from the factory, and I added the CD changer.

http://www.jnjhome.net/cadillac/changer.htm

The part number I used doesn't match either yours EGreen or yours kigy311, but I suspect it will work, if the harness connection is the same.

It's 100% "plug and play". Your stock radio will control the CD changer, and your steering wheel controls still work. All the instructions are on my website I posted above.

Good luck!

BTW, EGreen, the single function that does NOT work with the stock non-Bose radio is the random feature. The upgraded radios actually had a random button for that feature. Radios without the button cannot utilize the random feature.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I don't have an IPOD.I'm too busy as it is,I don't need another gadget to waiste my time.JasonA thanks for the link.In my picture,the mounting bracket looks different than yours.The item is on ebay and I'll start biding but I won't go over $100.Another thought and I like it better is to find a radio/cd that will allow me to use the steering wheel controls.I'd appreciate some info on the second choice.Honestly,I don't care much about the trunk mounted CD changers.I love my CDs too much to expose them to "inside the trunk" conditions. :P

I don't understand. Do you have steering wheel controls on your car. There are no OEM head units for (with/without) steering wheel controls. Not sure what is involved to add them to a vehicle, but again, there is no special input in the wireing harness for steering wheel controls as far as the head unit go's.

OK.If I replace the in-dash radio/cassette with a non factory in-dash radio/cd,I would like to get one that will connect with the steering wheel audio controls on my 98 deville that is a NON BOSE system.If it is too expensive,I will just go with a 12 disc CD changer and keep it simple.I would rather have the one in-dash unit,maybe a double din radio/cd/dvd player with a touch screen -they are nice-but IS IT EASY TO INSTALL IT?iS IT COMPATIBLE WITH THE DIC,IRC or some of the other electronics on the 98 Deville?I don't want to mess around with new speaker wires or new speakers.Thanks. :(

Careful with the sig picture kigy we might get our posts confused :) Just a reminder the 98 Deville Factory Service Manuals are now in the 60 dollar range, brand new, from Helm.

This link should take you too all the differant paperwork stuff you might be missing: http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Sty...LT96NGSC5XU3DF8

The Factory Service Manual ( http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?c...LT96NGSC5XU3DF8 ) contains information (besides all the repair info) that pertains to service intervals and what needs to be done when, specifications guide, and I belive it has warranty information (not really important anymore). Great investment for what it can save you.

The Green's Machines

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Some vehicles, starting in 1998, DID get factory single-slot in-dash CD radios. I believe that goes for the Sevilles and Eldorados, and possibly the DeVilles also. I bought one on eBay before I did my CD changer project because, like you kigy311, I didn't think I cared much for the CD changer idea.

When the radio arrived, it was in okay shape, but the large volume knob had a rubberized coating on it (factory), that probably matched the large temperature rotary on the HVAC panel for that year. But it didn't match my '97 (which uses smooth rotaries). The radio also had some visual blemishes on it that weren't photographed in the auction picture; so I returned it to the seller for a refund. I never did install it, so I don't know if the wiring/pinout is the same. So I don't know if it would have worked with my steering wheel controls, but that would have been another no-go if it hadn't.

After I bought the changer, I decided that I'd never go back. Our Grand Caravan has a cassette/single-slot CD radio, and I tell ya, it's a pain to keep changing the CDs all the time on road trips. My wife plans to get a Microsoft Zune for Christmas (new digital media player), so that may answer that question. But as far as the CD changer goes, I couldn't be happier with it vs. the single-slot CD radio I thought I wanted. When the Cadillac was our road-tripper, it could/would play more music than we ever cared to listen to, without handling a single CD.

Like the trunk pull-down motor, TOTAL CLASS. :)

Some vehicles, starting in 1998, DID get factory single-slot in-dash CD radios. I believe that goes for the Sevilles and Eldorados, and possibly the DeVilles also. I bought one on eBay before I did my CD changer project because, like you kigy311, I didn't think I cared much for the CD changer idea.

When the radio arrived, it was in okay shape, but the large volume knob had a rubberized coating on it (factory), that probably matched the large temperature rotary on the HVAC panel for that year. But it didn't match my '97 (which uses smooth rotaries). The radio also had some visual blemishes on it that weren't photographed in the auction picture; so I returned it to the seller for a refund. I never did install it, so I don't know if the wiring/pinout is the same. So I don't know if it would have worked with my steering wheel controls, but that would have been another no-go if it hadn't.

After I bought the changer, I decided that I'd never go back. Our Grand Caravan has a cassette/single-slot CD radio, and I tell ya, it's a pain to keep changing the CDs all the time on road trips. My wife plans to get a Microsoft Zune for Christmas (new digital media player), so that may answer that question. But as far as the CD changer goes, I couldn't be happier with it vs. the single-slot CD radio I thought I wanted. When the Cadillac was our road-tripper, it could/would play more music than we ever cared to listen to, without handling a single CD.

Like the trunk pull-down motor, TOTAL CLASS. :)

Would a CD/Cassette Head unit work with a CD Changer? I've often thought about that and it would be nice to have the option for both, that way when your not trips and such you wouldn't have to always have to swap a disk but put it in the dash for those times when you just want the one CD.

The Green's Machines

kigy311,

A few years ago I did some research regarding GM CD changer part numbers and applications, and I posted the information in a thread on this forum. Use the following link to access that thread:

Caddyinfo.com: CD Changer - Compatible Models (from April 2004)

I went beck to my original notes and found the part number shown on the CD changer in your photographs is the one for the unit that was unique to the '97 C5 Corvette. (I discussed this unit in the past thread, but did not provide the part number). If you purchase this changer, it will function perfectly fine in your '98 Deville, but the mounting bracket hole pattern is unique, and will not completely match the hole pattern on the vehicle-specific bracket used in the Eldo/Seville/Deville vehicles (GM part number 3545633), which is shown in the photographs at JasonA's Web site. The changer and bracket mount together using three small screws on each side of the changer, but only two of the threaded holes in the Corvette-style changer will match the holes in the Cadillac-style bracket. Using just two fasteners per side may be adequate, or you could modify the Cadillac-style bracket by drilling a new hole in each end to match the hole pattern in the Corvette-style changer. Or, you could wait until the "proper" Cadillac style changer (as described in my earlier post, in the old thread) becomes available. Finally, I suppose you could try fabricating your own mounting bracket, or adapting the one that is included with the Corvette-style changer. However, I would strongly recommend using the factory-style bracket that is specific to your vehicle; you should be able to purchase it at any dealer or online GM parts retailer for a relatively small amount, and it will make the installation much less time-consuming. (With regards to the changer installation, JasonA's Web site does a very good job of describing the process. Indeed, I provided some assistance to Jason when he performed that work years ago.)

Good luck!

(With regards to the changer installation, JasonA's Web site does a very good job of describing the process. Indeed, I provided some assistance to Jason when he performed that work years ago.)

And it IS much appreciated! That changer still works perfectly.

RDWRIOR wrote:

Or, you could wait until the "proper" Cadillac style changer (as described in my earlier post, in the old thread) becomes available.

This one is brand new and I could probably get it for $100 and buy a mounting bracket and try to adapt it to the changer.Thanks! <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Received the CD Changer and it is brand new.Bought it off the Ebay for $96.I need a part number for the mounting bracket and floor screws,if anyone can help me.Mine is for the Corvette and I'll try to fit the right Cadillac bracket to the CD Changer by drilling another holes into the bracket.Also,can anyone provide a picture of the bracket alone so I can get an ideea if it can be modified to fit my CD Changer?Have you ever tried to install it in the glove compartment? <_<

Archived