CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Should I buy this 1984 Eldo?

mistermau

Folkz...

I think I finally got my pesky rough starting problem fixed by changing out the FPR, but now I have a new issue.

My wife totalled her car, so we have to find something new, because I pretty much REFUSE to drive my 1971 Karmann Ghia through the winter, even if it is an Atlanta winter.

Today I came across a 1984 Eldorado Biarritz with 60000 miles. The guy says it was his grandfather's, who passed a few months ago. From what I can tell, the interior is VERY CLEAN. I have not driven the car yet.

What should I look for?

Is there a way to check codes on that car?

I thought the Biarritz was the convertible, but this "top don't drop".

How much should I pay for it? He is willing to negotiate down frm $2500. I'm thinking of making him sit on it for another month or two, and then walk up with $500 in hand, and negotiate as high as $1000.

Looks like a pretty sharp car from what I can see. Like a champagne color, with red interior.

Let me know you guys' thoughts!

-Mister Mau

It comes with HT (high trouble) 4100 engine. They are not the most reliable engines, particularly if they have not been maintained properly. You also will likely find it too slow.

Check this out:

http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1980/cad84.htm

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Check out the VIN on the page that adillac gave you a link for. That will tell you whether the name tags agree with the body style - hardtop, convertable, etc.

The specific page on the 1984 Eldorado is

http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/cad1980/1984/CAD84E.HTM

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The 4100 is a pile of hardship.

I wonder what transmission is in there..

had an 83 Deville and a 350 went into it with some modifications but I think the tranny bolted up.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

I wouldn't be scared away from the car just because it had a HT-4100 engine... If the coolant was changed on a regular basis and the supplemental sealer pellets were used it should be OK. My family had a '85 Fleetwood Brougham (RWD) with the 4100 engine that had 191,000 on it when we sold it and it was in perfect condition. The next owner put at least 50,000 more miles on it without any trouble. A buddy of mine had an '84 Coupe DeVille (RWD) and he had 172,000 on it when he sold the car - both cars never had any engine problems.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I wouldn't be scared away from the car just because it had a HT-4100 engine... If the coolant was changed on a regular basis and the supplemental sealer pellets were used it should be OK. My family had a '85 Fleetwood Brougham (RWD) with the 4100 engine that had 191,000 on it when we sold it and it was in perfect condition. The next owner put at least 50,000 more miles on it without any trouble. A buddy of mine had an '84 Coupe DeVille (RWD) and he had 172,000 on it when he sold the car - both cars never had any engine problems.

You two ought to play powerball

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

I've never bought a lottery ticket in my life...nor do I intend to...LOL.

Much of the bad wrap the 4100 engine got was due to improper service techniques my mechanics that were used to working on small block Chevy engines - those engines could NOT be treated like a SBC - of course when the engine had a problem due to improper service techniques, the POS 4100 was blamed because after all, the mechanic couldn't be wrong..... The same thing exists today with the Northstar - some idiot repairs stripped thread bolt holes with heilicoils and when they rip out, the engine is blamed, not the improper repair technique.

The 4.1, 4.5, and 4.9 were all the same basic design - the 4.5 was a bored 4.1 and the 4.9 was a stroked 4.5. Improved gasketing technologies that were incorporated on the 4.5 and 4.9 engines have also been used on reman 4100s. A Goodwrench remanufactured HT-4100 is just about bulletproof.

To retrofit a RWD 4100 car with a 350 is a big job - the transmission should also be changed to hold up to the increased torque. Also, retrofits have their own baggage - the fuel data computer would not be compatable, what to do for a PCM, etc.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived