CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mr Clean Auto Dry

jcheadlee

I don't know about Mr. Clean but my local gas station's car wash no longer runs the blowers to dry the car. They put something in the rinse water (I suspect it's a similar product) and it really works. When the car dries off, it is virtually spotless. I am amazed!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I don't know about Mr. Clean but my local gas station's car wash no longer runs the blowers to dry the car. They put something in the rinse water (I suspect it's a similar product) and it really works. When the car dries off, it is virtually spotless. I am amazed!

Why Mr. Poobah, I am intrigued! What brand of gas station are we talking about here? I'm always looking for a better wash at those places...Do you remember the type of of brush system they were using? That's where I get REAL picky.. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

they do say guarenteed, ha ha but that means nothing these days. From what I have read they just filter the water before it hits your car, so no extra chemicals at least. I think I am going to at least try it once it warms up enough here.

Why Mr. Poobah, I am intrigued! What brand of gas station are we talking about here? I'm always looking for a better wash at those places...Do you remember the type of of brush system they were using? That's where I get REAL picky.. 

It's a Shell station in Agoura Hills in western Los Angeles County. I'm afraid that by the time you got back home in Northern California, you'd need to wash your car again! :D

The brushes are terrifying looking things with red plastic-looking strips about 1" wide. They don't damage my paint or remove any trim, however.

They used to have a blower cycle to dry off the car. One day they put up a sign that said "New Spotless Car Wash". Everything looked the same so I said to myself, "Yeah, right!". After the rinse and wax cycles, the Green lights came on telling me to leave. I thought something was wrong because the blowers didn't come on but when I got home the car was spotless - way better than before with the blowers.

photo-36.jpg

I got the Mr Clean car wash gadget and it seems to work as advertised for me. Rinse with normal, then soap and scrub, then rinse, then rinse with the light mist of filtered water, and I don't have to dry the car, I can just let it dry normally. If you plan to wax as well I guess you'd want to hand dry to speed it up, but the gadget does seem to work as advertised.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I like it. Runs $20 or so in the store, with carwash and an initial filter. Obvisouly $5 less with the coupon. Replacement filters are $8 or so. Could be water spots are hard to spot on the light platinum CTS, but seem to work to me.

I put McGuire's Gold Class carwash in after the bottle that came with it ran out. Mr. Clean says their carwash is specially formulated to help with the drying thing but that seemed unlikely to me. Still used either a wash mit or sponge to get the road grease off of course, with running water.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Ok...time for some math....Lets see..20 bucks, minus the five off coupon my son got...Hmm...uh... OK! 15 dollars. :blink: Sure, I'll spring for that. ;)

Whew..

user posted image

a...Do you remember the type of of brush system they were using? That's where I get REAL picky.. 

It's a Shell station in Agoura Hills in western Los Angeles County. I'm afraid that by the time you got back home in Northern California, you'd need to wash your car again! :D

The brushes are terrifying looking things with red plastic-looking strips about 1" wide. They don't damage my paint or remove any trim, however.

Yeah, that's a little far for a wash, even a 'special' one. ;) But...there's a new Shell next door in El Dorado Hills, (fancy area..) were every other car is a hooptie, so you'd think they might get the upgrade. I gas up and wash there a lot, they have the latest wash unit in the region, with 'touchless' so I'll ask about it next time I'm there.

That wash there also has the orange 'beaters' (if you don't choose touchless) and man, those things are scary!! I wouldn't use them until a few guys I know with sharp cars, including bbobynski assured me they use that type all the time with no ill effects. I finally got the nerve to let that medieval looking torture device flail my cars. I will say it does get them a whole lot cleaner than touchless, especially in the winter.

The best one still is down in Folsom, where 15-30 dollars will get you a knockout wash and wax + wheel and tire clean and polish. You just have to be ready to set aside a half an hour or so...Great scenery while waiting... ;):rolleyes:

user posted image

Now that winter is done (hopefully), I wash my car by hand using only Zymol products. Car sparkles like it's coated with glass. Someone just asked me a few days ago how old the car is and when I said "12 years old", his jaw dropped and he could not believe it.

By hand, wash and wax takes almost 4 hours. But well worth the time and effort.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to wash by hand all year 'round. I love the south. :)

I also wax only with The Wax Shop products. Advance used to sell it, and when I went to pickup a few more bottles, they didn't carry it anymore. In a near panic, I started off to the other local retailers and fortunately I found some at Pep Boys. They only sell the Super Glaze wax though -- none of their other cleaner products. I only use Super Glaze, but I'd like to be able to take advantage of some of their other products. Sorry to jack this thread, but does anyone have a good lead on The Wax Shop product availability? Am I going to have to order this stuff through the mail? (yuk)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I'd definently get it, the thing I love about it is that I can get the moms BMW and the dads mustang done in the same time it took just to do one of them. :D

I suggest it just for the weekly regular wash. I still like to do the hand wash every 3-5 weeks just to get all the dirt out the door jambs and truck jamb.

Other then that it works great, and the water in south florida isnt the greatest either, we are rated a D and an F in some places.

A great tip though is to use a leaf blower if you got one, its great for the windows and for places that hold water for a long time.

It sounds like a water softener. If you have a water softener in your house you could hook the hose up to a soft water faucet (laundry tub) or not bypass it to wash the car if that is an option and probably get the same result. Always being one to try to build a better and cheaper mouse trap, I suspect you could also buy a box of dish washer water softener and mix a little in a 1/2 gallon garden sprayer. Spray the car down after the wash and it will probably do the same thing with the box being much cheaper and lasting much longer.

Now that winter is done (hopefully), I wash my car by hand using only Zymol products. Car sparkles like it's coated with glass. Someone just asked me a few days ago how old the car is and when I said "12 years old", his jaw dropped and he could not believe it.

By hand, wash and wax takes almost 4 hours. But well worth the time and effort.

lol....I thow the 12 year old sentence around all the time with my eldorado......people always honestly think it's a new cadillac! :lol:

This morning I pulled into the parking lot where I work, and when I got out, some guy walked up & said "well I guess we know who is making all the money around here"

;)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I'm fortunate enough to be able to wash by hand all year 'round. I love the south. :)

I also wax only with The Wax Shop products. Advance used to sell it, and when I went to pickup a few more bottles, they didn't carry it anymore. In a near panic, I started off to the other local retailers and fortunately I found some at Pep Boys. They only sell the Super Glaze wax though -- none of their other cleaner products. I only use Super Glaze, but I'd like to be able to take advantage of some of their other products. Sorry to jack this thread, but does anyone have a good lead on The Wax Shop product availability? Am I going to have to order this stuff through the mail? (yuk)

http://www.waxshop.com/

That's the website for the wax shop and there's a link at the site where you can find out who's selling it.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

It sounds like a water softener. If you have a water softener in your house you could hook the hose up to a soft water faucet (laundry tub) or not bypass it to wash the car if that is an option and probably get the same result. Always being one to try to build a better and cheaper mouse trap, I suspect you could also buy a box of dish washer water softener and mix a little in a 1/2 gallon garden sprayer. Spray the car down after the wash and it will probably do the same thing with the box being much cheaper and lasting much longer.

When you use a dilute formula of Cascade automatic dishwasher detergent it pretty much does the same thing, it's "sheeting action" stops spots from forming on your dinnerware and your car but I would not recommend it for use all the time.

A small amount of baking soda, dissolved in hot water and then added to your soap water also helps.

Well, I don't know about the MR clean system, but after reading about the replies here on the site about water softeners, I might just have to try that trick. I'm like JAdcock, here in the south, I can hand wash all year long. I use Mothers products on my black 94 STS, and it still shines like a new car. I have people all the time ask me what year it is, and then they can not believe it is a 94.

John

John

I have people all the time ask me what year it is, and then they can not believe it is a 94.

Last summer, we were sitting in a traffic jam just outside of Ann Arbor, Michigan, on our way out to Grand Haven to visit some family. A guy in a new Taurus rolled his window down and asked me, "is that a new one?" I told him it was a '97 and I could hear him say to his wife in a northeast accent, "oh my god, that thing is six years old." He was even more amazed when I told him we had just cracked 120,000 miles (at the time). With the popularity of leases today, I think people have forgotten how long a vehicle can last with good maintenance and some TLC. I even had a girl ask me in college if I bought my Cutlass new (it was an '84 model). She had no idea the car was that old (and I was only 5 years old when it rolled off the line).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Has anyone tried 5 Star Shine? It makes some pretty darn good claims..

http://www.5starshine.com

How does this product compare with Mr Clean's Autodry or Zaino?

Also, Poobah.. are you talking about the Shell Gas Station on Kanan Road, next to McDonald's? I use to go there, but now I get gas in Thousand Oaks (Cheaper).

Also, Poobah.. are you talking about the Shell Gas Station on Kanan Road, next to McDonald's? I use to go there, but now I get gas in Thousand Oaks (Cheaper).

Jinxed45

I go to the Shell station on the south side of the 101 at Reyes Adobe Road.

I've always wondered if anyone else from this neck of the woods was following this board.

photo-36.jpg

Yes, The Mobil is on the east side of Reyes Adobe Road, the Shell station is right across the street on the west side. If you want to set a day and time. I'll meet you there and treat you to a car wash.

LOL :P

photo-36.jpg

Archived