CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How much to replace the blower motor?

NCCaddy

Well, depending on where you buy it, or if you are having someone else install it, there can be a great deal of price difference.

I installed a new one myself in my 93 Eldorado last year in about 1 1/2 hrs. I bought it at NAPA for about $46. ;) I know this was one of the reasons the guy was selling this car, cause he mentioned he had a quote of over $250 to have a new one installed by a local garage. :o

If you are at all mechanically inclined, with a decent shop manual for a guideline, it is not really too difficult...

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

I just had mine replaced at a chevrolet dealership for $509.48. The part was $336.98 and labor was $172.50. Nice to have it back! :D

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

97 Deville 279,000 :yupi3ti:

I just had mine replaced at a chevrolet dealership for $509.48. The part was $336.98 and labor was $172.50. Nice to have it back! :D

Ouch! $509, that is painful! :blink: I can understand the $172 labor I guess, but I don't understand why the OEM blower motor is so much more than the NAPA part.

I did notice that when I replaced mine the old OEM one had a balanced fan on it. It had a small metal clip on the squirrel cage itself to minimize vibration. This NAPA one did not have that, in fact it wobbled quite a bit when I spun it by hand. :unsure:

The plastic cage itself seemed a little distorted, so I kind of gently tweaked it by heating with a hair dryer and twisting it a little. Came out pretty true, and have no complaints about it at all...

Of course if the thing burns out in a year or so, I will have plenty of complaints then!! :P

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

NCCaddy price the motor on www.gmotors.com or www.gmpartsdirect.com and you could save quite a bit of money on it, then take it to the dealer and have it installed. You would be suprised at the differance in online price and your dealer price. Check it out before you take the plunge.

I just checked 2 online places and found the motor for $252.74. I always did better than this price at www.gmotors.com & www.gmpartsdirect.com. You just need the part number to find the price. The places I checked you did not need the part number. I would say you could save $100 to $200 on the same OEM motor. Get the part number from your dealer and go online and check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Howyadoin,

I got an aftermarket (Four Seasons maybe?) for $220 at a local parts store. They can be a pain to install, so don't begrudge the guy the labor IMHO. It took my mechanic 2 hours to do the job, with a lot of swearing involved...

I'm not sure if there's a difference between '93-'94 and '96. If NAPA has one for a '93 for $46, I'd jump on that! Labor might vary too, so you can probably disregard this entire post. :) The part for my '96, as I said, was $220... I got quoted $340 for the OEM part from a local dealer.

Good luck, it's a beautiful thing when it works again...

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Be aware that the 1994 blower is different then the 1993. The 1994 one has the built in blower module and is much more expensive.

Archived