CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OT - Chevy Truck: Gatorback Serpentine Belt Came Off

coolnesss

A friend of mine has a 1995 Chevy 1500 V8 pickup truck with a 350 engine - Midas Muffler just put on a new Gatorback serpentine belt - the next day it came off. What would cause this?

THANKS

It might have loosened up and fallen off, blame the tensioner, or something might have seized and it broke. If something seized you usually would hear it squeeling like hell before it broke. Especially a gatorback - those are tough and I know that from an experience.

It came off of there?

What did it fall off or break and fall off or what?

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

A friend of mine has a 1995 Chevy 1500 V8 pickup truck with a 350 engine - Midas Muffler just put on a new Gatorback serpentine belt - the next day it came off. What would cause this?

THANKS

That's interesting! I didn't know Cadillac made a 1500 Chevy V8 pickup truck.

Yes, OT:

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

In addition to the things mentioned by TheFred, it could have been the wrong belt.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

In addition to the things mentioned by TheFred, it could have been the wrong belt.

That's what I'd think. Either wrong belt or incorrect installation. Maybe they were one groove off on one of the pullies or something.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I tend to agree.... there's two sizes of alternator in that truck... one is a big one, and one is a small one (not to overstate the obvious, sorry...)

Most trucks have the small one. The serpentine belt in that truck is smaller....

I know this because my Tahoe has the big alternator, and I've repeatedly been sold the wrong belt, the smaller one, which won't fit....

However, the big belt might come off if installed in the smaller application...

I also have the same questions as Fred... it just flew off?? Or snapped?? Or slipped off and got tangled up in everything???? Or slips badly all the time while the truck is running???

That Gatorback belt is a nice belt.... one is running in the Tahoe right now.... super quiet.

Its also possible that they did not get the belt fully on the crank or one of the idler wheels. They also might not have had it routed correctly. There are a lot of sphincters out there posing as mechanics.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived