CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power steering fluid

BostonETC97

I guess I was feeling 'preventative' (bored) today, and went ahead and changed the power steering fluid. I used an old spray bottle as an evac pump, emptied out the reservoir, and refilled with fresh fluid. I realize I'll have to do this a few more times to really "flush" the system, but I figure I'll do it once a week or so until the fluid starts coming out clear.

The fluid I removed was definitely a rich brown/red color. It didn't smell badly burnt, but had an 'old well used oil' odor. The new fluid was completely clear (STP power steering fluid.) Is the factory fill fluid red? Will bad "carma" hit me for using a clear fluid?

With just one bottle of new fluid, the wheel feels easier to turn, and the pump is definitely more quiet while turning.

See this thread, you can flush your entire power steering by removing the return hose:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...;hl=return+hose

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I guess I was feeling 'preventative' (bored) today, and went ahead and changed the power steering fluid. I used an old spray bottle as an evac pump, emptied out the reservoir, and refilled with fresh fluid. I realize I'll have to do this a few more times to really "flush" the system, but I figure I'll do it once a week or so until the fluid starts coming out clear.

The fluid I removed was definitely a rich brown/red color. It didn't smell badly burnt, but had an 'old well used oil' odor. The new fluid was completely clear (STP power steering fluid.) Is the factory fill fluid red? Will bad "carma" hit me for using a clear fluid?

With just one bottle of new fluid, the wheel feels easier to turn, and the pump is definitely more quiet while turning.

I have recently replaced the fluid too. And it was brownish/redish as well. I even suspected someone had used ATF instead of colorless PS fluid. But I am not sure of it. Whatever... I flushed old one by disconnecting a return line, running the engine, and turning the wheel from side to side, so the fluid is completely fresh. Do not have any problem with steering so far. You might want to read this thread too:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=10488

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I replaced my PS pump awhile back and used that Valvoline (over 75k-old car?) PS fluid. The old fluid was reddish brown with a distinct 'burnt' smell. I wished I would have known about disconnecting the return line to flush out ALL the old fluid. <_< The whine I had from my old pump though, is now gone. I'm hoping the whine will not reappear this winter, being it was always worse when it was cold out.

Back in the day, wasn't it commonly thought that ATF fluid was ok to use in place of PS fluid? I used to think it was basically the same stuff, until coming here.

Back in the day, wasn't it commonly thought that ATF fluid was ok to use in place of PS fluid? I used to think it was basically the same stuff, until coming here.

Yes it was the same and was substituted. Not sure what, if anything has changed, or if so, when and why it changed.

Yes it was the same and was substituted. Not sure what, if anything has changed, or if so, when and why it changed.

The FSM warns to not use ATF instead of PS fluid.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I could be wrong (again) but I am remembering the mineral oil power steering fluid appeared coincident with rack and pinion systems.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It all depends on the particulars of the pump and rack I assume.

The Grand Caravans up through about 2001 warned ONLY USE POWER STEERING FLUID, NOT TRANSMISSION FLUID. Sometime between 2001 and 2003 that changed, and our 2003 warns ONLY USE CHRYSLER ATF+4 TRANSMISSION FLUID, NOT POWER STEERING FLUID.

I believe our cars take "power steering fluid". It should be a light golden brown usually, just like new motor oil.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived