CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stainless Steel Braided Brake Hoses

Ed Hall

I notice some members upgrading their brakes. Has anyone upgrading theirs with steel braided hoses? My brakes are quite pathetic especially during panic stops so I was thinking maybe the brake hoses need replacement. The cost of the steel braided ones are somewhat higher so I was wondering if it is worth it. Supposedly, it makes the brakes feel more crisper.

IPB Image

The stainless steel braided hoses do make a difference on properly operating brake systems. They expand less under pressure, thereby increasing pedal "feel", generally preferred in racing applications, where some "heel & toe" is required. They might also be a good idea if you must drive on gravel roads and have had failures due to rock impingement on a brake hose, rare, but in off-road use, sometimes important.

Neither of these benefits will impact or improve your "pathetic" brakes, unless you have a collapsed brake line, or they have swollen from the use of incorrect fluid, therby restricting the flow of brake fluid to your calipers.

I'm not sure just how poor your brakes are, since you have not given a frame of reference, but I'd look for other problems before spending money on braided brake hoses.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

A restriction somewhere is exactly what it feels like. During normal driving when I gently press on the brakes, everything feels normal. However, in a an emergency when I need to stop fast, I slam my foot on the brake pedal as hard as I can but there is a lot of resistance and the brake pedal goes down slowly until finally, the brake starts applying. :o It feels like there is a shock absorber attached to the brake pedal. No matter how hard you press on the brake pedal, there is a limit on how fast the brake pedal goes down. Could it be because my rear brakes are out of adjustment? This car has rear disc brakes and I notice that I have to pump the emergency brake pedal 3 times before the e-brakes are set. There brakes were like this when I bought the car 5 years ago.

IPB Image

A restriction somewhere is exactly what it feels like. During normal driving when I gently press on the brakes, everything feels normal. However, in a an emergency when I need to stop fast, I slam my foot on the brake pedal as hard as I can but there is a lot of resistance and the brake pedal goes down slowly until finally, the brake starts applying. :o It feels like there is a shock absorber attached to the brake pedal. No matter how hard you press on the brake pedal, there is a limit on how fast the brake pedal goes down. Could it be because my rear brakes are out of adjustment? This car has rear disc brakes and I notice that I have to pump the emergency brake pedal 3 times before the e-brakes are set. There brakes were like this when I bought the car 5 years ago.

I am not happy with my rear brakes either. I can rotate the wheels with hands while the emergency brake is applied (three times).

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Have you considered this might be the vacuum booster?

My manual had a table in it and for Brakes slow to respond it says:

>Leaking Piston Seal

>Contaminated or Substandard Fluid

>Restricted Air Passage in Power Booster (indicated most probably cause)

>Damaged Power Booster

>Improper Rear Actuator Adjustment

>Brake Assembly Attachments Missing or Loose

>Restricted Brake Fluid Passage (Master Cylinder)

>Faulty Proportional Valves

>Operator riding brake pedal

>Sticking Caliper Piston

Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Ed,

I don't know and kind of doubt that it is your problem, but your parking brake is definately in need of adjustment. Adallak's likewise.

Ranger,

I agree. The e-brake as well as rear brakes are often overlooked. It is a good idea to have a reliable e-brake particularly if brake lines are old and partially rusted.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I adjusted the emergency brakes this evening as outlined in the service manual. Unfortunately, this did not make any difference in how fast the brake pedal goes down. Next thing I'm going to check for is a restriction in the vacuum line that leads to the brake booster.

IPB Image

Archived