CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

So, the stupid STS is still acting up, making me UNSETTLED and MURDEROUS here :(

The Fred

what bothers me is that he is getting a lean condition indicating its starving for fuel or there is a vacuum leak. He is having starting problems, have we ruled out whether or not this is a fuel pump problem? Fred do you have a fuel pressure tester? Can someone tell Fred where the fuel pressure tap is on this year car? We should eliminate a fuel pressure problem before we move forward AND the cause of the wet injectors needs to be eliminated. I need to find diagrams of this engine for my files..

The 042 and 044 are gone now.. oddly enough

I get an 042 now and again

This showed as history today I032 .......................................................... Loss of ABS/TCS Data

I don't have a tester

Kim not on the 94, the FPR is in the intake directly affected by engine vacuum, so no vacuum source hose is needed

Oh, OK.

I forget what all has been suggested and/or tried, but could it be leaking or clogged injectors. I'm thinking there's a vacuum issue as well given the braking problems he's now having.

Fred, have you been sober (for the most part :lol: ) while working on your Caddy? :D

Yes I have been sober the whole time or 99% of it and that is probably why it still isn't fixed :angry:

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The schrader valve is on the drivers side around the throttle body, take the cap off and attach a fuel pressure gage.

Fred, on top of the throttle body there is a rubber boot attachment with 2 hoses coming out and going toward the firewall. Follow those hoses around the back of the engine and check the hoses and connections. One hose goes to the evap solenoid and one goes to the vacuum reservoir. They branch off a few places so check them carefully.

If you unhooked #1 & #2 cylinder and the idle did not change that tells me that you are not getting fuel or they are not firing. You mention that #2 was firing, you need to see if #1 is firing. Could be a bad coil. If it is firing then I would be looking at a clogged fuel injector.

The schrader valve is on the drivers side around the throttle body, take the cap off and attach a fuel pressure gage.

Fred, on top of the throttle body there is a rubber boot attachment with 2 hoses coming out and going toward the firewall. Follow those hoses around the back of the engine and check the hoses and connections. One hose goes to the evap solenoid and one goes to the vacuum reservoir. They branch off a few places so check them carefully.

If you unhooked #1 & #2 cylinder and the idle did not change that tells me that you are not getting fuel or they are not firing. You mention that #2 was firing, you need to see if #1 is firing. Could be a bad coil. If it is firing then I would be looking at a clogged fuel injector.

Alright I have seen the two hoses coming out that you're talking about... they have sor of an L shaped rubber end on them- yes?

I thought I had a bad.. what are they called.... coil pack..... but #1 and #2 are on different .... coil packs

I have tried and tried to find a place that does the injector cleaning.. the dealership tried to sell me $80 worth of additives. Jesus god that was annoying. I want the can that you run the engine off of because that is how you clean them properly I think.

I don't know how to get to #1 or I would check it- I will try though.

Thank you Mr. Paul !!

I have a diag appt at the dealership in Wichita..

I'm going to call and tell them that since I know what ails the car I want the diag for half price.

That won't fly in their airspace let me tell ya :lol:

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

When i was having problems I swapped in a new coil pack to each position to see if it eliminated the problem I was having....

Please dont expand your diagnosis to cleaning injectors yet.. You are not getting a MIS FIRE code which would indicate an injector problem..

What was the result of your checking those hoses near the throttle body...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

When i was having problems I swapped in a new coil pack to each position to see if it eliminated the problem I was having....

Please dont expand your diagnose to cleaning injectors yet.. You are not getting a MIS FIRE code which would indicate an injector problem..

What was the result of your checking those hoses near the throttle body...

I just now read that message and so I haven't had a chance to go out and fool with the car yet but I will ASAP (I have about 100 things to do on this computer this morning)

Thanks for being so patient with me as I know I've been sort of rambling and nervous lately

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Well I noticed that there is no change when I take off the hoses that both are in one rubber end.. you have to take them both off at the same time since they're both going into one rubber end though they are seperate hoses (little ones)

I noticed: When I remove that, there is no change in the idle at all. But when I take them off I can hear it hissing real good and strong.. So I went under the car and I didn't hear any hissing

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Is it possible to let the vacuum system suck in some type of liquid that might come out where ever it is leaking ?

Or could I put air through the system with the motor off some how?

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

The guy at the parts store says he doesn't have a fuel pressure tester that will work for my car

What is the story?

I think I found the valve stem looking end

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

I can't hear a vacuum leak anywhere now I am thinking maybe it just isn't producing enough without all the cylinders firing

Dig this there are two 10A fuses for "Fuel Inj" when I pull one of them it kills the motor and when I pull the other - no change.... eureeka?

Now of a what?

PS: I switched the 10A fuses betwixt the two of an eachother

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

The guy at the parts store says he doesn't have a fuel pressure tester that will work for my car

What is the story?

Try Sears they have one for you

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

What is the story?

Try Sears they have one for you

Expensive are they?

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Drove it again no problem at all with the power brakes now I pulled the big vacuum hose out and reseated it in there

Stupid thing still idles ok, rumbles slowly up to speed when driving, frustrating but I don't care too much so long as it is fixed some day

On the giant hose from the air filter box to the intake, there is that one hose that pops into the top of that like most cars have, on most cars if I take that off it makes it run like hell- but when I take it off it doesn't do anything

Is that norma

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Well I guess we're at the end of what we can do,

I tried and fought the good fight right up till the end but the appt for the dealer diag is in the morning at 7:30

I lost this battle but I win the war because I can usually fix most problems

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Archived