CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Name your oil and filter

Marika

98 STS Northstar

Royal Purple 10W30 all year round

K&N Performance Gold Filter

I've heard very good things about Royal Purple. How is it working out for you?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
98 STS Northstar

Royal Purple 10W30 all year round

K&N Performance Gold Filter

I've heard very good things about Royal Purple. How is it working out for you?

Hard to tell if any difference. Hasn't hurt the car in any way. The RP dealer i buy it from said, that instead of changing every 3000, just change the filter. I like the RP a lot and will continue to use it. Yes the price is kinda high, but with the money we have spent to own a cadillac, why not?

I get a filter from the dealer, that way I don't wory. 'Always used Mobile 1 but next time will switch to maybe Valvoline to see if the garage floor stays oil free.

I used to buy the cheep oil and change 3K miles but one day the cam wore out. Maybe not the cheep oil but I won't chance it again.

Ed '92 Seville

In our family of vehicles we use AC Delco filters, or the oil doesn't get changed. We have:

1967 Coupe DeVille - PF-2 (I think)

1985 GMC 4x4 - PF-1218

1992 Chev Z71 - PF-52 (No matter what the Delco book says, PF-1218 will not fit!)

1990 Fleetwood 4.5L PF-58

1991 Fleetwood 4.9L PF-58

We use Motomaster (Canadian Tire Brand) Semi Synthetic in everything, seem to have had no problems with it at all and usually goes on sale at least every couple months.

I use a purolator oil filter and either Mobil1 5w30 or Pennzoil 5w30 synthetic. I will probably use Pennzoil 5w30 synthetic in the future because the car seems to leak more with the Mobil1. I started using the 5w30 synthetic after seeing some dyno reports on improved horsepower using the synthetic. I race the car frequently and drive hard most of the time so the synthetic will provide some benefits not available in other oils. Also, I change oil every 3,000 miles.

Not sure about filter.... have a Fram on now but switching to A/D when I change this next time. It was a one time laps of thought when I got it. And NOTHING but Mobile 10/30 Mineral oil will touch my engine. I agree that most oils are probably the same but I've always heard that you just stay with what it has. or it can cause headaches to switch. That and we've had great success with it.

91 Seville

Castrol 10W30 with Fram Filter

Change oil and filter every 3000 miles

No oil use, no leaks, no problems for lots of years.

If you have an oil leak, it does not matter what kind of oil you use, it is still going to leak until you fix the problem. :(

The RP dealer i buy it from said, that instead of changing every 3000, just change the filter.

I would rather change the oil without replacing the filter than otherwise. sure changing both is the best.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

• 2 weeks later...

ANY major oil from any major producer is good, as well as the filter! The real key is not only having decent oil, and filter, but changing it at 3 grand, or 3 months! It may seem fruitless, but I work on these things every single day! It is cheap insurance, and we are all used to the 3/3000 rule. Keep the NS full, for your oil users! Trust me, oil is the life blood, of any engine! At the worst, it dosen't hurt, at the best, it is the difference!

AC Delco filter and Valvoline Max Life. Changed by the oil life monitor at 10% left. Worked on these things for 40 years and brand name doesn't seem to matter. Clean oil and a new filter every 3/3000 will keep them purring. :)

97 STS. I use 10w-30 Pennzoil, Valvoline, or Quaker State, whatever is cheapest at Wal-Mart at the time. I also use Fram filters, because Wal-Mart is cheaper on them, than the AC with my discount! Unlike many folks, I am not going to steal an oil filter from my work place. But I have been hearing more and more that Fram is junk, so I am seriously considering the AC filter next time. I change my oil at 3 months, or 3000 miles, regardless.

Styes,

You never really said, but from your posts it is pretty obvious that you are a Cadillac mechanic. That being the case I was really surprised to hear you say that you used Fram oil filters. They do have a bad reputation. That may be a carry over from many years ago, I do not know if that is still the case but I will not use them. I was kind of surpised that you were not aware of this.

I might add that it is great to have your knowledge and expertise added to this board to tap into.

Read all the replies and figured since I wasn't duplicating info, I use Castrol GTX 10w-30 and AC Delco filters. No particular reason on the oil other than that is what was in the car when I got it from the dealer and have just stuck with it.

Oil and filters work great, but I continue to battle oil consumption. However, I guess that comes from where I live - DC - not too many opportunities to get out and really blow it out. Too much traffic and not enough road. Need to take a road trip soon.......

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

THIS IS GOING TO BE GOOD!!!! At the present time i am using in my 97 sls with 96000 miles a puralator filter and a gf 3 citgo 10w30 oil. My alt. oil would be chevron same specs, Partial history of 50 years of changing my own oil starts at (QUAKER STATE a parafen based oil in the 50s thru Mobil 1 in the 90s and any filter, with 0il change intervals of 3000 to 14000 miles.) to todays CITGO. THE ONLY OIL RELATED ENGINE FAILURE I HAVE HAD IS!!! A rod knock at 155,000 miles going from san jose to phoenix in 100 degree temp. AT THAT TIME I was using a fram filter, and mobil 1 tri synthetic with almost 9000 miles on the oil and filter. The tri synthetic mobile 1 was on the market for only a short time till a new improved mobile 1 came out. Was it the oil? filter? engine part? or the 9000 miles? In any case I learned a costly lesson here. I now change my oil more often, with my 97 its when the dic tells me too.

• 2 months later...

Only AC filters and whatever brand of 10W30 oil I can buy at Costco, usually Mobil. I do not use Mobil 1 as I had bad results in my 4.9. The engine had the #1 main bearing knock, and using Mobil 1 accentuated it greatly. I just use a good grade of 10W30 in all my cars and change it at an average interval of 4,500 miles long before the monitor on the car tells me to, Mike

I use Mobil mineral oil, not the synthetic stuff. In the N* Mobil1 seeps a little more than mineral. Filter I use normally is K&N Gold. Mobil1 if I have to. They are the same filter, just prefur the nut on the end of the K&N.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used Pennzoil since the early 60's. I have never had an oil related failure using thier oil. I presently have a 1996 K10 Suburban with over 300,000 miles (not a typo). It has never had anything done to it other than replace the intake manifold gaskets @ about 200,000 miles. They were leaking coolant to the outside. It still gets 3000 miles on a quart or less. My 94 SLS uses 10W30 Pennzoil and A/C Delco filters.

One time when I was in a hurry I had Wal-Mart change the oil. I specified that they put an A/C filter on. When I got home I happened to look under the front and , What the he(( is that ORANGE thing doing on my engine?? I took it right back and made them change it to an A/C. It said right on the ticket that I specified an A/C filter. The guy tried to argue that a "filter was a filter", and "go away & don't bother me." Before I left he was wishing that he had never heard of Fram, Cadillac or oil.

Since Wal-Mart dosen't stock A/C filters any more, I do all my oil changes at home. That way I KNOW what oil and filters are used.

Other filters that I would use if A/C's weren't avalible would be Wix or NAPA (same filter, NAPA just adds a digit in front of the Wix number), or Baldwin.

As to switching from brand to brand just because one may be a nickle a quart cheaper today, is false economy. If you stay with one brand, the chemical makeup of the oil's detergents and additives will be uniform. The price of a Northstar engine rebuild or replacement one time will pay for all the oil changes that a car will ever need in it's lifetime.

Go with a good quality name brand oil and stick with it. I use Pennzoil because I have had excellent luck with it. All major brand oils are good today. I just can't see switching back and forth between brands.

Good luck & many miles of trouble free driving to all.

Britt

Britt

Lots of interesting info in this thread. The oil i'm using now is AMSOIL and goes about 7500 miles between oil changes with one filter change around 3000-4000 miles. Most of the time at least in the caddy I change the oil when the caddy tells me to w hich could be anywhere from 4000-7000 miles depending on how it's driven; even though the amsoil says it can go 7500. In my truck I just change it at 7500. It was very difficult to find a place to buy the amsoil but it's good stuff.. If you can't find it then use mobil 1. The filters they have at the place where i get my oil changed are 'mighty' filters. I think these are hastings(baldwin) filters in disquise? Not sure though but they seem good. NAPA Gold filters are good too. Take apart some of your old filters and look what's inside you will see :) Or go buy a couple .. believe it or not the ac delco filter is probaly the best filter you can get for $3-4 so if you are low on $ that is the one I would use every time unless you can afford one of the $8+ ones :>

Ed '92 Seville 4.9

I use AC filters from the dealer 'cause the dealer should have what is best.

I have been using Mobile 1 for years I think that it is a superior oil, but am getting tired of the messy floor. The next change, (maybe next wknd) will be a dino oil ar a blend.

Archived