CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1992 eldorado...is it an etc?how do i know

cadillacetc92

just wondering if the car that i just bought off of ebay is an etc eldorado or just a regular one...It is a 1992 with bucket seats and analog gauges not digital...if anyone can help me answer this question i would be very appreciative...also can someone suggest some mild performance upgrades...this car has 90k miles and was driven by an old person...obviously im not dealing with a speed demon but i would like to wake the 4.9l up a little...thanks again

It is not an ETC, as they only have the 4.6L Northstar motor in them. I'm sure if it was they would have been proudly displaying it, as they get more money for them for sure!

Not too farmiliar with the 4.9L, but I'm sure others can help with the performance suggestions... Good luck with your Caddy! B)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

i appreciate your help in tryin to answer my question but i may be mistaken in saying this but i didnt think the 92 eldorados had the 4.6l northstar in it..so if any one can tell me if my 92 4.9 is an etc that would be appreciated...

thanks again

Oops, maybe I spoke too soon. I thought the 4.6 NS came out in 92. I am a fairly new owner myself...

Why don't you email DAVEDOG, he has a fine looking 92ETC on this board. Here is his user info...

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showuser=150

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

"ETC" stands for "Eldorado Touring Coup"

My 92 IS an ETC, and DOES NOT have a northstar engine, it has the 4.9

I don't think the Northstar was an option on the eldorados untill 1993.

As for what makes a ETC an ETC, one quick was to find out is look at the doors. Mine say "Eldorado Touring Coup" in raised letters on the outside trim of each door.

I'm not sure what all the differences between my Eldorado, and a stander one are, but it anyone has more info, I'd love to know...

Hope this helps!!! :)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Sorry guys - I haven't heard a convincing argument yet to differentiate an "Eldorado" from and "Eldorado Touring Coupe" as they were both called in 1992. Trim can be changed, emblems can be removed, etc. etc. Logan was happy as a clam to change out the trim to wood on his beautiful 93 Seville (nee "SLS"). So I don't trust any of the previously discussed observations.

Sidebar: Although the terms "ESC" and ETC" have been back-dated prior to their inception in 1996 or so, they are technically incorrect for models prior which were called Eldorado and Eldorado Touring Coupe. Same goes for "Seville" and "Seville Touring Sedan" at that time, which both ultimately became SLS and STS.

In 1992 there was the Cadillac Eldorado. There was also the Eldorado Touring Coupe which had a body-colored grill, no "C" pillar emblems, specific wheels and dual exhaust outlets among other trim differentiations. I think the Eldorado Touring Coupe had perforated leather seats, as compared with fabric or solid leather seats on the Eldorado. Cadillac mixed things up a bit late in the model-year with an "America's Cup" edition Eldorado (or something to that effect) that celebrated a sailboat. That car was navy blue and had alot of Eldorado Touring Coupe trim but was technically an Eldorado and not an Eldorado Touring Coupe.

SO - the only way to truly tell? The VIN. The fourth and fifth digits on an Eldorado will be "EL" and the fourth and fifth digits on an Eldorado Touring Coupe will be "ET". This was true right up to the end of the Eldorado run in 2002.

~cardio-doc

Sidebar: Although the terms "ESC" and ETC" have been back-dated prior to their inception in 1996 or so, they are technically incorrect for models prior which were called Eldorado and Eldorado Touring Coupe. Same goes for "Seville" and "Seville Touring Sedan" at that time, which both ultimately became SLS and STS.

I'm glad in a way that Cadillac is doing away with different acronyms for different models on the same car line...eg SLS and STS. I understand the new "Seville" is going to simply be called STS and STS only...no SLS models.

In the 1997 model brochure, even Cadillac says, "Seville SLS". That's really saying, "Seville Seville Luxury Sedan". Even Cadillac couldn't get it right. :)

For what it's worth, up to and including the 1997 model year, the base Eldorado was "Eldorado", and the touring version was "Eldorado Touring Coupe" or ETC. There was no ESC up to and including the '97 MY.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I don't want to be argumentative here, but i have an eldorado touring coupe that i bought from a family member. Never wrecked, never tweaked on, and mine has a chrome grill just like davedog's. So it just shows you, there really ias no way to tell for sure without checking the VIN #

YEAH! My VIN # has no EL or TC in it. The 3rd digit is an E but that's it. I bought this thing from a one owner elderly lady who bought it and had it serviced at the Dealer, mine has the dual exaust, the leather seats, the "touring Coup" tags, yet it has the crome grill. I don't think some elderly lady would put this many mods on her car! :o

I disagree.

I have the original window sticker in the glove box. I will get it and scan it and post it....maybe it will help...... :unsure:

Alright, don't know if this will help or create more confusion, but below is a scan of the ORGINAL, UNEDITED WINDOW STICKER! :P

I'm sorry it's so small, but I have size restrictions on my web site to deal with.

If you look at the right side of the paper under "STANDARD VEHICHLE PRICE" it says "Options Installed by Manufacturer", and the first thing it says is "ELDORADO TOURING COUP" at a price of $4000.00. SO, I would say contrary to the fact that I have a crome grill and have no TC in my VIN # that I have an Edlorado Touring Coup. Not trying to be a butt, or make anyone mad, just couldn't see it being any other way. Please let us know if anybody else knows anything.

window_sticker.jpg

YEAH! My VIN # has no EL or TC in it. The 3rd digit is an E but that's it.

That's odd -- your third digit should actually be a "6". And actually, in 1992, the VIN did NOT specify an Eldorado or Eldorado Touring Coupe, but it should still have an "EL" in it. Your VIN, DaveDog, should be like this:

1G6EL12BxNpnnnnnn

1: Orgin, USA

G: General Motors

6: Cadillac Division

EL: Carline (Eldorado)

1: Notchback coupe body style

2: Manual restrains plus driver and passenger supplemental inflatable restraints

B: 4.9L V-8 engine code

x: Your check digit -- should be a number (0-9)

N: 1992 model year

p: Your assembly plant (I'm not sure where yours was built)

nnnnnn: Your 6-digit sequential production number (Eldos started with 200001 I believe)

Incidentally, 1994 was the first year Cadillac started designating, in the VIN, between a standard Eldorado (EL) and an Eldorado Touring Coupe (ET).

This information is according to my "GM Production Options" book published by Service Parts Operations, GMC, May 1999. Hope this helps!

my bad, I looked at the VIN # wrong. It does have the "EL" in it. But no "ET", but my window sticker says "Eldorado Touring Coup"

WHO KNOWS!?!?! :blink:

Don't much matter. Your ride looks sweet. I bet it turns heads.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

In the "Standard Catalog of Cadillac - 1903-2000", it mentions that the 1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe is option code "YP5". I believe that if you lift up the trunk bottom that covers the spare tire you will find a tag listing the three digit trim option codes for your car. However, I am not 100% sure that ALL of the codes are listed there. So, if code "YP5" is listed then I would think this would be a good indication that you have the ETC rather than the base Eldorado. If the code is not listed I am not sure if that means anything or not. You would need to know for sure if this particular option code should be present in that list if the car is an ETC. Maybe someone else knows for certain. Of course, this is not fool-proof either because the trunk bottom could have been replaced for some reason... but that seems highly unlikely.

As Jason has mentioned previously, the VIN will not help you because "EL" was used in fourth and fifth positions of the VIN for both the base Eldorado and the ETC.

I just wanted to chime in here and say that davedog has one sweet lookin 92 touring coupe there! I wish mine looked that good! But, over 200K miles has taken it's toll on it. Give me some time, i'll get it back to new soon. Mine is identical to davedog's except it has a dealer installed tan carriage roof on it. Quick question davedog, do you have the original wheels to that car? And, if so, are you interested in selling them?

As Jason has mentioned previously, the VIN will not help you because "EL" was used in fourth and fifth positions of the VIN for both the base Eldorado and the ETC.

That's correct -- up until 1994 MY. Starting then, the Eldorado will show EL and an ETC will show ET. Good call on the RPO code. Some things do not show, but something as major as the Touring Coupe package should show up there.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived