CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission problem.......

taiorlvb

Hello....I have an 87 FWD Fleetwood D'Elegance....that has developed a transmission problem

overnight. I drove the car last night....everything started out fine....got to a stop light....took off and it wont' shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Changed out the modulator, and thought it would fix the problem, but it hasn't. Any idea what the problem could be? And what I should check next? Any idea what it will cost to fix? Thanks for any input you might have. I appreciate it.

Please check and post any diagnostic codes you are getting.

See http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Shift solenoids are my guess.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Please check and post any diagnostic codes you are getting.

See http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Shift solenoids are my guess.

I've check the computer for codes, and no codes are set. I took the car for a ride,

and it's OK starting off, but won't shift out of first. This transmission has approx. 40K

on it (rebuilt). Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hello....I have an 87 FWD Fleetwood D'Elegance....that has developed a transmission problem

overnight. I drove the car last night....everything started out fine....got to a stop light....took off and it wont' shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Changed out the modulator, and thought it would fix the problem, but it hasn't. Any idea what the problem could be? And what I should check next? Any idea what it will cost to fix? Thanks for any input you might have. I appreciate it.

I'm trying to remember the type of transmission that is in the 87 Fleetwood. I think that it is a 700R4. If so, I would suspect that the governor flyweight assembly has come apart.

Look on the left rear of the transmission housing. There should be a domed cover. Remove the cover and the flyweight assembly will come out with a slight twist. I should be readily apparent if this is where the problem is. You should be able to get a replacement at a transmission shop or salvage yard.

I had this same thing happen to me on a trip from Texas to Illinois. It was about 10:00 at night in Eastern Arkansas. I found a station that still had a lift. (amazing) Removed the governor & found that the flyweight assembly had come apart. Made a few phone calls and found a local guy that had one for $20.00. (doubly amazing)

I got the part, installed it and was on the road again by midnight! (Astounding!)

I think that I should have bought a lottery ticket. Because the odds of finding what was wrong, getting the correct part, and back on the road in under two hours late at night was about equal to winning the lottery.

Britt

Britt

Thanks Britt for all your help. I will take a look and see if this is the problem. According to the service manual, the 87 Fleetwood D' Elegance has a THM-440-T4 Transaxle. How can I tell what type transmission it is, and the correct part I'll need (you mentioned 700R4)? Thanks again for the help. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. Vincent

I'm trying to remember the type of transmission that is in the 87 Fleetwood. I think that it is a 700R4. If so, I would suspect that the governor flyweight assembly has come apart.

Look on the left rear of the transmission housing. There should be a domed cover. Remove the cover and the flyweight assembly will come out with a slight twist. I should be readily apparent if this is where the problem is. You should be able to get a replacement at a transmission shop or salvage yard.

I'm pretty sure the 87 Fleetwood was a front wheel drive car and had the 440-T4 trany but you are right, this is basically the same trany as a Turbo 700. Its just folded over on itself to drive the front wheels...

The 87 Brougham was still RWDriven and it used a 200-4r and an 307 (5.0 Liter) Oldsmobile V8

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Hello again.....Here's the update. I got a new governor and installed that, and I'm still

having the same problem as before. No 1st to 2nd shift. Everything else works fine,

with exception to this shift problem. I've rechecked the TV cable, the new governor,

and the modulator. I'm guessing it could be a stuck valve in the control valve assembly.

I wonder what that will cost to fix. I'm all out of steam on this one. Thanks for all the

suggestions and for all the help. I do appreciate. Vincent

Hello again.....Here's the update. I got a new governor and installed that, and I'm still

having the same problem as before. No 1st to 2nd shift. Everything else works fine,

with exception to this shift problem. I've rechecked the TV cable, the new governor,

and the modulator. I'm guessing it could be a stuck valve in the control valve assembly.

I wonder what that will cost to fix. I'm all out of steam on this one. Thanks for all the

suggestions and for all the help. I do appreciate. Vincent

I have some long experience with a TH400 which may be similar in some ways to your TH700 variant. Here are some ideas.

Check the transmission linkage to make sure that it is really in Drive. If a cotter pin slipped somewhere it might be in Low. If your shift linkage includes a cable, that could be a simple adjustment.

On the TH400 there is a kickdown solenoid that is operated by a switch on the carburetor (or FI linkage). This solenoid was "normally stuck" on my car and I loosened it up every time I did a tune-up. If yours was stuck but not bad, and you floored it to start it, it might be stuck in the wrong position. Find the switch, if any, and, with the key on and the engine off, click it a few times. If you don't hear a click down in the transmission or the click is very light, it is stuck. Keep clicking it until the solenoid moves.

The vacuum modulator is a throwaway part that you have already replaced, so it's good. But, it can't work unless it has vacuum. Make sure that the hose is good on both ends, and you might even check it at the transmission end for vacuum with the engine running.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have some long experience with a TH400 which may be similar in some ways to your TH700 variant. Here are some ideas.

Check the transmission linkage to make sure that it is really in Drive. If a cotter pin slipped somewhere it might be in Low. If your shift linkage includes a cable, that could be a simple adjustment.

On the TH400 there is a kickdown solenoid that is operated by a switch on the carburetor (or FI linkage). This solenoid was "normally stuck" on my car and I loosened it up every time I did a tune-up. If yours was stuck but not bad, and you floored it to start it, it might be stuck in the wrong position. Find the switch, if any, and, with the key on and the engine off, click it a few times. If you don't hear a click down in the transmission or the click is very light, it is stuck. Keep clicking it until the solenoid moves.

The vacuum modulator is a throwaway part that you have already replaced, so it's good. But, it can't work unless it has vacuum. Make sure that the hose is good on both ends, and you might even check it at the transmission end for vacuum with the engine running.

[/size][/size]

Hello Jim...I have THM-440-T4 transmission in my 87 FWD Fleetwood D'Elegance. I've rechecked

the T.V. cable and linkage, the modulator, and the governor. Is there another way to recheck these areas? I cannot seem to find the selenoid you mentioned, but I did preform the test you suggested. With the key on, and the engine off, I clicked on each position several times, starting with P - R - N - D - 3 - 2 - 1. With everything off, I didn't hear anything but each click in each position. With the engine running, I redid the same test. The transmission shifts into R - N - D with no problem. It shifts from N - 3, N - 2, and N - 1 with no problem either. Roading testing it, it still won't shift out of first. I think this THM440 has me beat -- darn it! Any other suggestions are very much welcomed! Thank you in advance. Vincent

Hello Jim...I have THM-440-T4 transmission in my 87 FWD Fleetwood D'Elegance. I've rechecked

the T.V. cable and linkage, the modulator, and the governor. Is there another way to recheck these areas? I cannot seem to find the selenoid you mentioned, but I did preform the test you suggested. With the key on, and the engine off, I clicked on each position several times, starting with P - R - N - D - 3 - 2 - 1. With everything off, I didn't hear anything but each click in each position. With the engine running, I redid the same test. The transmission shifts into R - N - D with no problem. It shifts from N - 3, N - 2, and N - 1 with no problem either. Roading testing it, it still won't shift out of first. I think this THM440 has me beat -- darn it! Any other suggestions are very much welcomed! Thank you in advance. Vincent

I'm out of my element here with a year that I don't know well. I do have a Chilton. It lists the electrical connections for the THM 440 T4. I think one of them may be disconnected. The most likely culprit is the one to the vehicle speed sensor. If the tranny doesn't think the car is moving, it's not going to come out of low gear. On my car, the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is on the top of the right half-shaft, easily visible from behind the right front wheel with the steering turned to the left. Make sure that the wiring to it is OK, and that the VSS iteself is OK (not cracked, etc).

I presume that you checked the hose to the vacuum modulator and made sure that there was vaccum to it with the engine started, in park. If the hose is cracke, cut or split somewhere and there is no vacuum there, that's your problem. You can check this by pulling off the hose and putting your thumb on the end while the car is idling in park.

There is an electrical switch to the converter clutch. I would check the wiring to it too.

If that doesn't do it, maybe someone else here with an 87 Fleetwood or with mechanical experience with troubleshooting the THM 440 T4 can jump in.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The following is from the GM service manual for your 440-t4 transmission.

Condition: First speed only, NO 1-2 Shift

Inspect Component: TV system, governor assembly (thrust bearing damaged, weights binding, springs damaged, gear damaged, seal leaking, exhaust check balls missing or damaged, not seated), Governor Pipes (Leaks), Accumulator Cover Retainer and Pipes (Accumulator cover leaking, governor screen blocked, orifice cup plug blocked, governor retainer leaking), Control Valve Assy (1-2 Shift valve stuck or binding, spacer plate or gaskets mispositioned or damaged), Driven sprocket support (Oil rings damaged), 2nd clutch asy (clutch plates damaged, piston or seals damaged, parts misassembled, housing check ball assembly damaged), Reverse Reaction drum (splines damaged).

You can check the first 5 bold items on the list with the transmission in the car. The last 3 items can only be checked by tearing open the transmission.

IPB Image

I bet the vacuum line is off that one thing.

TH400s don't go out and when they do I don't believe it.

Shift it into drive by the clicks ignoring the PRNDL display there.

I had a similar breakdown at a Kwik shop .. only had 200 to go and had been flying all night. When I run the thing wide open that way for hours at a time it will let a little oil go so I added 1/4th of a quart and managed to get the oil all over my starter.

Turn the key, nothing.

Knocked the starter with my maglite and it took right off.

I still don't know why but it never had a second occurance there :)

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Archived