CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I had a new set of Michelin Harmony tires installed on my Deville today during lunch. I brought the valet key with me and turned the switch on in the glove box and locked the glove box. For the heck of it, I tried the valet key and it unlocked the glove box!

I tried the valet key in the trunk lock and it would not turn so I am now thinking the valet key is worthless if it is able to unlock the glove box. Maybe someone replaced the glove box lock before I bought the car but I really doubt that. I bought the car when it was four years old and had 39,000 miles on it at the time.

My thought it the valet key should NOT unlock the glove box as that would allow someone to turn the valet switch to off and get into the trunk, open the fuel door, etc. Thoughts?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

are you sure that the key is a valet key. Usually there is a slot in the key that the valet key does not have and therefore it will not go into the trunk or glove compartment.

The slot in the key goes from the tip to past the grooves in the center of the key

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

not sure what to tell you. unless the lock cylinder on the glove compartment got damaged prior. someone may have jammed the key into the lock

GM FAN FOREVER

I think it is a valet key - It will insert into the trunk lock but will not turn.

On my 2001. The valet key was gray in color and had 'valet' clearly molded in the gray plastic. No question it was a different key. The standard keys were black plastic.

I think it is a valet key - It will insert into the trunk lock but will not turn.

On my 2001. The valet key was gray in color and had 'valet' clearly molded in the gray plastic. No question it was a different key. The standard keys were black plastic.

One key (black in color) has the cadillac emblem on it and I use it as the primary key. The other key does not have the Cadillac emblem on it and is also black in color. I assumed that key was the valet key but based on your description it may be a cheap hardware store copy. I don't know why it will not operate the trunk lock though.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Can you post a pic of the 2 keys next to each other. the valet key should be missing a groove that the main has

GM FAN FOREVER

Mine is a 2006, so there may be differences in the keys...

Here are a few pics of my keys.. next to each other...

The VALET key WILL NOT fit in the glove box lock...of course, the regular key fits fine.

They work as designed... the regular key fits everything....

The Valet key only fits the drivers door and the ignition.

The odd thing is that the two keys LOOK identical...

They both appear to be cut exactly the same and both of them have what looks to be, the same groove cut in them...

The pics are of both sides of both keys..

20121001_072116.jpg

20121001_072016.jpg

20121001_071420.jpg

20121001_071338.jpg

Posted Image

This is the service manual info shown for a 1998 Deville:

The keys are double sided and reversible. The master key and valet key contain transponders that are read by the theft deterrent system when the keys are used in the ignition. The keys have 10 cut positions (1) with 4 different depths (2).

The keys that are furnished with the vehicle are:

• The master key, which contains a transponder (3). This key will operate all of the locks on the vehicle.

• The valet key, which contains a transponder (3). This key will operate the front door locks and the ignition lock only.

• The emergency key, which does not contain a transponder. This key will operate the door locks, rear compartment lock and the IP storage compartment lock only. This key is intended for emergency use only.

Based on Jim's photos and Logan's description, I believe I have a master key (with the Cadillac emblem), and a key from an unknown source as it does not have a Cadillac emblem.

I do not have the valet key. The key I thought was the valet key is evidently a hardware store type key.

Thanks!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The original owner "should have" received four keys.

Two (black) driver's keys with fobs

One (gray) valet key

And one, as Logan's Service Manual calls it, emergency key

The emergency key will operate any lock on the vehicle including the ignition switch but WILL NOT start the engine. There is no transponder head present and that is the whole idea. That emergency key lives in my wallet.

th_keys_zpsf0113c34.jpg

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived