CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Shift Solenoids

i have a 94 seville sls i replaced shift solinoids and the gasket and pan . the car still shifts like *smurf*. the car also runns 220 degrees . the car drived 60mph at 4000 rpms. i am beginning to hate this car. ive spent to much time messing with this car to get no where. i have 2 other cadillacs with the 4.9l and are great. but this northstar is a pieace of *smurf*. gm should of recalled all the cars with this sorry *smurf* motor. i love cadillacs just not this one. is thair anny tricks to this car i should know its a 1994 cadillac seville sls with 4t80e transmission and 4.6l northstar

[originally this was posted as an addition to this thread by Ma: http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=28472&view=findpost&p=144059 ]

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a 94 seville sls i replaced shift solinoids and the gasket and pan . the car still shifts like *smurf*. the car also runns 220 degrees . the car drived 60mph at 4000 rpms. i am beginning to hate this car. ive spent to much time messing with this car to get no where. i have 2 other cadillacs with the 4.9l and are great. but this northstar is a pieace of *smurf*. gm should of recalled all the cars with this sorry *smurf* motor. i love cadillacs just not this one. is thair anny tricks to this car i should know its a 1994 cadillac seville sls with 4t80e transmission and 4.6l northstar

The 93 and 94 year models had some minor problems with the shift solenoids. Replace them and you are good to go..provided that you do the work by the book of course. I have replaced them myself and have put 50000 miles each om two different cars with the 4t80e and the Northstar engine, loved them both...

Don't blame the Northstar engine, fix the problem correct and you'll never have to worry about it anymore!

I know there are cases when people tried to change the solenoids by themselves with bad results, don't be discouraged. Is the car proper diagnosed to begin with?

e029 is the code it is giving me . it shifts one time then dont shift any more. i love this car it is a beautiful car . i just am so frustrated with fixing it. i also checked the wiring for shorts. by using a multimeter and selecting continuity and disconnecting it from the external harness. their was no continuity between any of the shift solenoid wiring . i also sprayed electrical cleaner in all the connections. the car was shifting good for a day 1,2,3,4 like it was supposed to. then my wife drove it and it started acting funny.it lost fluid from the pan . so i replaced gasket with a gm one . still leaked and then i replaced the pan. it dont leak any more. but it also does not shift any more. it will drive 60 at 4000 rpm and the temp rises to 220 . i also double checked check balls they are in the correct place in the valve body. the solenoids are not strait they are turned sideways . is it possible that the solenoids are bad from driving it with a leaking transmission pan?

e029 is the code it is giving me . it shifts one time then dont shift any more. i love this car it is a beautiful car . i just am so frustrated with fixing it. i also checked the wiring for shorts. by using a multimeter and selecting continuity and disconnecting it from the external harness. their was no continuity between any of the shift solenoid wiring . i also sprayed electrical cleaner in all the connections. the car was shifting good for a day 1,2,3,4 like it was supposed to. then my wife drove it and it started acting funny.it lost fluid from the pan . so i replaced gasket with a gm one . still leaked and then i replaced the pan. it dont leak any more. but it also does not shift any more. it will drive 60 at 4000 rpm and the temp rises to 220 . i also double checked check balls they are in the correct place in the valve body. the solenoids are not strait they are turned sideways . is it possible that the solenoids are bad from driving it with a leaking transmission pan?

I understand your frustration, there is nothing as frustrating than spending money and time to solve a problem! The solenoids are fine. But there is a possibility that the gasket between the unit that you had to dissemble is torn. A metallic gasket with some black material on it? It is important that this gasket is intact because the internal pressure can't rise if it is torn apart. The electrical connections and cables are propably fine.

It is strange that the solenoids are turned sideways, from what I recall there is a mounting screw and no physical possibility for them to turn in any direction. Did you use the bracket to keep them in place? There should be a new set of brackets to hold them in their correct position.

the shift solenoids are held in place with a metal ring. the solenoids have groves that the clip/ring is pushed around it and holds it in place . the gasket that goes in the middle of the valve body is in great condition . the shift solenoids move realy easy u can turn them about 90 degrees. thay also wiggle back and forth as if thay are loose. i bought the kit from electrical advantage for $50 . i guess i wasted my money. the only braket that came with the kit was a l shaped braket that holds a screen in place. the shift solenoids also have an oring on them . i used a old phone charger and conected the ends to the connector on the shift solenoids thay make a clicking noise and a little ball bering moves in the front part of solenoid

could the high rpms cause the motor to over heat?

No, there is another cause to that. Is the coolant flowing freely? No blocked passages?

the shift solenoids are held in place with a metal ring. the solenoids have groves that the clip/ring is pushed around it and holds it in place . the gasket that goes in the middle of the valve body is in great condition . the shift solenoids move realy easy u can turn them about 90 degrees. thay also wiggle back and forth as if thay are loose. i bought the kit from electrical advantage for $50 . i guess i wasted my money. the only braket that came with the kit was a l shaped braket that holds a screen in place. the shift solenoids also have an oring on them . i used a old phone charger and conected the ends to the connector on the shift solenoids thay make a clicking noise and a little ball bering moves in the front part of solenoid

You shouldn't be able to turn the solenoids from what I recall..the L-shaped bracket rings a bell. I'll have to check!

the l shape braket holds the screen in. is the car overheating from exaust gas in coolant? the shift solenoids didnt come with anny extra brakets or mountig screwes. thay feel real loose when i wiggle them back forth. should i replace the shift b solenoid? i put some wire connector gelly in the transmission plugg to keep out moisture. could that be messing it up?

I can be all wrong about the screw and bracket that I mentioned earlier, it was a couple of years ago when I did the shift solenoids on my -93 STS.

However I’m absolutely certain that one shouldn’t be able to turn the solenoids. Isn't there some kind of groove on the valve body and a ridge on the plastic part of the solenoid? Hopefully someone else can chime in here?

It doesn't matter that they can be wiggled though, and if you used grease suitable for electrical connectors, then I wouldn't worry about it.

220F is hot but it isn't overheating. 260F is overheating!

Check for clogged hoses, belt tension at the water pump, leaks at the water pump, bad thermostat?

There should be a retaining bracket that supports the solenoids. They should not rotate. That is the cause of your shifting problem. You might be able to find a picture on ACDelco's site or Rockauto's site.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

There should be a retaining bracket that supports the solenoids. They should not rotate. That is the cause of your shifting problem. You might be able to find a picture on ACDelco's site or Rockauto's site.

I checked my 1993 FSM, Rock-Auto and AC-Delco before but I didn't manage to find any useful pictures. I haven't checked my newer FSM on CD yet but I'm sure there is one there.

go to ebay and type in 4t80e valve body. look at the body exactly how it looks is what mine looks like . solenoids are in the same position. the bracket holds a screen in place in betweeen both solenoids. the only thing holding the solenids in place is a round clipp. the solenoids must not be holding pressure due to bad clips or posibly a bad oring. all check balls are in place all wiring is good internaly. the only code i get is e029 shift b problem

The members who are speaking of the bracket are correct. They were redesigned for 96, I am not sure if that is true for 94 however. The replacement shift solenoids have a bracket that holds them in place. The original solenoids do not.

Since you did not use OEM parts, we are unable to help you or comment as to what might be your problem, that is the point of using OEM... Your next move is to go back to the people you bought the shift solenoids from "electrical advantage " for $50 and have them help you.

Next time buy OEM, AC DELCO OEM shift solenoids are less than $40 at rockauto, then we could help you, it sounds like you have a problem since they seem loose and there is no bracket.

By the way you said this "but this northstar is a pieace of *smurf*. gm should of recalled all the cars with this sorry *smurf* motor"

Go find help from "electrical advantage", they are the only people who can help you now especially when you come in here an spit on the floor with those types of statements. I am sure electronic advantage will have all the answers for you! This could even be a misplaced check ball in the body.

This is an enthusiasts board, and this is a verbal warning not to talk crap like that, next time you will be officially warned. You are driving a 16 year old car keep that in mind.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The members who are speaking of the bracket are correct. They were redesigned for 96, I am not sure if that is true for 94 however.

The replacement shift solenoids have a bracket that holds them in place. The original solenoids do not. Since you did not use OEM parts, we are unable to help you or comment as to what might be your problem, that is the point of using OEM...

Your next move is to go back to the people you bought the shift solenoids from "electrical advantage " for $50 and have them help you. Next time buy OEM, AC DELCO OEM shift solenoids are less than $40 at rockauto, then we could help you, it sounds like you have a problem since they seem loose and there is no bracket.

Just to confirm, the '94 shift solenoid kit, if purchased from GM, does have the bracket that prevents the small filter that is inserted between the two solenoids from applying pressure and causing a solenoid to break at the neck. I purchased a shift solenoid kit containing both solenoids, filter, and the bracket from a Cadillac dealership for about $100.

Thanks MAC, right on time and just what we needed

If I recall, members who did not use the bracket, had problems

Also, if I recall there are 5 or 6 check balls in the lower valve body, correct? They need to be in the correct locations, I have posted a diagram a few times on their location

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks MAC, right on time and just what we needed

If I recall, members who did not use the bracket, had problems

Also, if I recall there are 5 or 6 check balls in the lower valve body, correct? They need to be in the correct locations, I have posted a diagram a few times on their location

If you look at your post #8 (page 1) lower diagram you will see 4 check balls. There is no need to remove the Accumulator Housing to replace the solenoids, so I didn't deal with those check balls. If I remember, I only dealt with 4.

The only purpose the bracket has is to secure the filter in the Valve Body. It does nothing to secure the solenoids, as they have clips. The bracket prevents the filter from partially popping out of the Valve Body under pressure and smacking against the solenoids. If the bracket isn't used, over time the filter will smack the solenoids one too many times and one will fail. The solenoid that broke at the neck in my former '94 Eldorado was the one that is on the right side when the Valve Body is apart and turned over thereby exposing the solenoids and check balls. I believe that one is Solenoid B. While the bracket doesn't have to be used, not using it will eventually cause a replacement solenoid to fail over time.

To my recollection, a while back someone posted where he bought a solenoid kit and one of the solenoids was defective. I think it was an aftermarket solenoid?! I don't know if this post was a CaddyInfo post or not. So it's possible to buy a kit thinking all will be fine only to be disappointed because the trans is still not shifting right. If after correctly replacing the solenoids something is still amiss, I wouldn't rule out a possible defective replacement solenoid.

I just looked at electronic advantage's page,

The A solenoid is here, reportedly its a Delphi unit, it that is the case that is good, unless Delphi sells a line of solenoids that are geared toward the VALUE market like rebuilders. If it is the identical unit that GM sells from their parts window, great, but I don't know if we can know that, its only $13

http://www.electricaladvantage.net/4l80eshiftsolenoida.aspx

bodybyfisher. i think the north star sucks . i own 3 cadillacs ,93 sedan de ville ,94 cadillac seville sls , 95 sedan de ville, and the other 2 i had done electrical work changed transmissions and one the motor. i have never seen such a hard car to work on till i bought a north star. by the way i put all check balls in corect place. if u look at the gasket where each ball goes their is an oval shaped white marking with a pit for the ball to set in. and if u look on the inside of the valve body u can see a bevel where they go. and i used the bracket to hold the screen in place. IF I RECAL I POSTED I USED THE BRACKET TO HOLD THE SCREEN

the link below your post#34 is for a 4l80e i have a 4t80e . and it does not look like that 4l80e will work for my valve body. have u ever changed the shift solenoids on a 94 cadillac sls with the "north star" motor and the 4t80e transmission?

bodybyfisher. i think the north star sucks . i own 3 cadillacs ,93 sedan de ville ,94 cadillac seville sls , 95 sedan de ville, and the other 2 i had done electrical work changed transmissions and one the motor. i have never seen such a hard car to work on till i bought a north star. by the way i put all check balls in corect place. if u look at the gasket where each ball goes their is an oval shaped white marking with a pit for the ball to set in. and if u look on the inside of the valve body u can see a bevel where they go. and i used the bracket to hold the screen in place. IF I RECAL I POSTED I USED THE BRACKET TO HOLD THE SCREEN.

I increased your warning level 20%, and your posts require moderator approval for 48 hours. I warned you.

I LOVE THE NORTHSTAR as many of us do, I have worked on four different Northstars this week.

It does not matter how many Cadillacs you own, you don't have the right to badmouth anything here related to GM or Cadillac

I am sure you can find another board where you can spit on the floor this is not the place

bodybyfisher dont get mad cuz u only have one cadillac.lol and what did i say that hurt your feelings.lol. i dont own anny hondas ,dogdes, fords, so i think if i own somthing i am givin a right to say what i feel about somthing. did u make the north star? no. do you own cadillac.lol hell no. do u work for cadillac? who cares. i own three i like my other 2 just not this peace of *smurf* north star

bodybyfisher. i think the north star sucks . i own 3 cadillacs ,93 sedan de ville ,94 cadillac seville sls , 95 sedan de ville, and the other 2 i had done electrical work changed transmissions and one the motor. i have never seen such a hard car to work on till i bought a north star. by the way i put all check balls in corect place. if u look at the gasket where each ball goes their is an oval shaped white marking with a pit for the ball to set in. and if u look on the inside of the valve body u can see a bevel where they go. and i used the bracket to hold the screen in place. IF I RECAL I POSTED I USED THE BRACKET TO HOLD THE SCREEN

As another 3 Cadillac car owner, a 92 Deville, 94 Concours, & 97 Deville, I beg to differ. You obviously buy them used with probably numerous inherited problems. The 94 & 97 Northstars have been the easiest cars to work on that I have ever owned. All your posts have nothing to do with the actual Northstar engine. I have had the intake manifolds off both, very easy, changed the waterpumps on both, easiest I have ever changed. Changed the starter on the 97 while standing up, no jacks or crawling under the car needed. Changed an o2 sensor, tight but doable. I had someone change the shift solenoids on my 94 because they only charged me $70 labor. I paid $50 for the OEM parts. OEM parts are very important to a Northstar, I speak from experience. OEM parts can be bought for about the same prices as aftermarket parts from Rockauto, GM parts direct, etc. The Northstar is a different animal and has to be treated as such. As far as your transmission goes there is obviously something wrong with your "Shift Solenoid B". You need to get a 94 Service manual because there are 4 pages of diagnostics to go through. The correct code on the Northstar for Shift B solenoid is P029 not E029. We will try to help you if you want help, but badmouth a Northstar, that you obviously have limited experience with, will get you nowhere. Everytime I work on my Northstars I find myself in awe at the engineering of it.

Archived